Thread: Washington State Open Carry or Concealed Carry?

Post imported post

So does anyone know for sure if the state of Washington is "Open Carry" or "Concealed Carry"?

I ask this, because I've got different responses from different law enforcement agencies. I do not see any specific RCW (Revised Code of Washington) that mentions how you have to carry your pistol.

I've been told by some departments that the state is Concealed Carry, but I've been told by others that it "Doesn't have to be concealed" so I'm not really sure, and I can't find a law that specifically mentions this. I figure if I can't find a law, then the safest and smartest thing to do would be to carry concealed, so you don't end up in trouble for a law that you didn't know about.

Does anyone know for sure, and if so, please provide a legit source.

Thanks!

Also, if the state IS open carry, does one still need a concealed pistol license to carry openly?

I've only seen ONE person carry openly, and it wasn't a Law Enforcement Officer.. it was a regular civilian, in a grocery store.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15411.html

Definately an open carry state. And most LEO's have been informed of this. Their personal feelings might differ, but it doesn't matter.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Washington is an Open Carry State. Laws do not tell you what you can do, they tell you what you cannot do. Washington is a Shall Issue state for CPL. A CPL does not require concealment, it gives you the option.

The absolute worst place to go for advice on the subect is a police department. Most will tell you what they want you to do, regardless on what the law actually is.

WHat art of Washington are you in? Most, not all, but most departments in western Washington know the law and abide by it.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

I live in Western Washington. Specifically King County.

The reason I've asked, is because I've been told different things by different departments.

Post imported post

ALL King County departments know better.

Post imported post

This is all very interesting information. I've had my concealed pistol license for almost a year now. I've really been under the impression that I had to have it to carry regardless, and I was under the impression that it's a concealed carry state. That is, until I saw a man in a grocery store openly carrying a pistol.

Post imported post

Washington State follows British legal tradition, which states that anything that is not proscribed as unlawful is lawful. So the real question is where can you NOT carry in Washington.

Read the OC FAQ. Its one of 5 stickies at the top of the forum:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15411.html

Post imported post

Welcome to free America! Your CPL gives you options, thats all. You are required to have it on your person if you conceal or are riding in a vehicle with a loaded gun.

Otherwise, you don't have to have it on you if you don't conceal at all or get in a car with it loaded.

There is a BBQ coming up on the 18th in SeaTac. You should come. Your eyes will be opened up quite a bit. Last one there we had 2 TV stations there who actually did a nice job reporting. We expect the same will happen this time.

Check this thread... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/27388.html

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    This is all very interesting information. I've had my concealed pistol license for almost a year now. I've really been under the impression that I had to have it to carry regardless, and I was under the impression that it's a concealed carry state. That is, until I saw a man in a grocery store openly carrying a pistol.
    What grocery store what town?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

I saw the guy at both QFC in Covington and Safeway at Maple Valley. He had a chinstrap beard and a US Marine Corps tattoo.

Post imported post

You should join us at WILOW Lake APt meeting on 18th July there you will be able to meet in person some senior members of this forum and not to mention informed members