• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington State Open Carry or Concealed Carry?

Aaron1124

imported post

So does anyone know for sure if the state of Washington is "Open Carry" or "Concealed Carry"?

I ask this, because I've got different responses from different law enforcement agencies. I do not see any specific RCW (Revised Code of Washington) that mentions how you have to carry your pistol.

I've been told by some departments that the state is Concealed Carry, but I've been told by others that it "Doesn't have to be concealed" so I'm not really sure, and I can't find a law that specifically mentions this. I figure if I can't find a law, then the safest and smartest thing to do would be to carry concealed, so you don't end up in trouble for a law that you didn't know about.

Does anyone know for sure, and if so, please provide a legit source.

Thanks!

Also, if the state IS open carry, does one still need a concealed pistol license to carry openly?

I've only seen ONE person carry openly, and it wasn't a Law Enforcement Officer.. it was a regular civilian, in a grocery store.

j2l3

imported post

Washington is an Open Carry State. Laws do not tell you what you can do, they tell you what you cannot do. Washington is a Shall Issue state for CPL. A CPL does not require concealment, it gives you the option.

The absolute worst place to go for advice on the subect is a police department. Most will tell you what they want you to do, regardless on what the law actually is.

WHat art of Washington are you in? Most, not all, but most departments in western Washington know the law and abide by it.

Aaron1124

imported post

I live in Western Washington. Specifically King County.

The reason I've asked, is because I've been told different things by different departments.

Aaron1124

imported post

This is all very interesting information. I've had my concealed pistol license for almost a year now. I've really been under the impression that I had to have it to carry regardless, and I was under the impression that it's a concealed carry state. That is, until I saw a man in a grocery store openly carrying a pistol.

j2l3

imported post

Welcome to free America! Your CPL gives you options, thats all. You are required to have it on your person if you conceal or are riding in a vehicle with a loaded gun.

Otherwise, you don't have to have it on you if you don't conceal at all or get in a car with it loaded.

There is a BBQ coming up on the 18th in SeaTac. You should come. Your eyes will be opened up quite a bit. Last one there we had 2 TV stations there who actually did a nice job reporting. We expect the same will happen this time.

Check this thread... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/27388.html

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
This is all very interesting information. I've had my concealed pistol license for almost a year now. I've really been under the impression that I had to have it to carry regardless, and I was under the impression that it's a concealed carry state. That is, until I saw a man in a grocery store openly carrying a pistol.
What grocery store what town?

Manu

imported post

You should join us at WILOW Lake APt meeting on 18th July there you will be able to meet in person some senior members of this forum and not to mention informed members