• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can certain cities ban firearms from public parks?

Aaron1124

imported post

Can certain cities ban firearm possession from certain city parks? The reason I ask this, is because RCW 9.41.300 on section 2 and line (b) and follows clearly states

"Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or........

I noticed it said "Stadium" or "Convention center" but doesn't mention city parks. Again, is this another "Gray" area where cities get around the law? Or are cities required to follow the State Law regarding no restrictions for those who are licensed to carry?

Why is it that so many municipal governments don't seem to understand State law, such as Seattle?

j2l3

imported post

Short answer... No, cities cannot regulate carry in parks. It has nothing to do with license or no license since no license is required to carry openly.

Aaron1124

imported post

Thanks for the answers.

Now, I've noticed many parks have a "No firearms in park" sign, with other regulations.

So if you carry in a park with a sign posted, how often is it that you'll get questioned by an officer of that jurisdiction saying "Can't you read the sign?"

j2l3

imported post

It's rare, most cities have been contacted and the departments have been told by their bosses that he ordinance is unenforceable. It takes time and money to change the signs, but it is happening.