Thread: Sheeple cause encounter at WalMart

Post imported post

My daughter (9 in august) and I went to the Walmart on 164th in Lynnwood this afte4rnoon to pick up a couple "stadium chairs" and see what kind of pricing they had on yogurt. As we were 75% done with checking out, the "co-manager" (Roy) approached me & this is the conversation that took place:

Roy: Excuse me, sir, do you have a concealed permit?

me: yes

Roy: We heard you were coming in & we're going to have to ask that the Next time you come in you conceal your weapon

Me: you heard I was coming?

Roy: someone saw you in the parking lot & called us to let us know

Me: nice! so, why do I need to conceal my weapon, Walmart's corporate policy on customers carrying firearms is to conform to state law & carrying out in the open such as this is completely legal in this state.

Roy: Not in a private business, though

Me: Tell you what, let me sign the slip & we can go somewhere where we're not blocking the check-stand & I can show you how the state law(s) read.

I sign my charge ticket & we proceed to go over by the optical department where I show him the state law pamphlet, the gun rights pamphlet & the training bulletin pamphlet

Roy carefully reads through the entire state law pamphlet & states that he can't see specifically whereit says you can't carry a firearm in a private business. he also states that he also doesn't see anything stating that open carry is legal.

I explain that we base our laws on British practice whereby if there's no law stating that something is unlawful then it is completely lawful. At this point, I also pointed out in the training bulletins where Kent does a direct "question and answer" format & states that there is no illegality with carrying a firearm out in the open.

Roy thanked me & asked if he could get copies of the materials & I told him that I had plenty & that he was more than welcome to have the ones he was looking at.

Roy apologized for bothering me & stated that he would pass all this information on to the General manager of the store & the district manager as well.

Everything went politely & neither of us ever began getting indignant about our points & all in all, went really smooth.

As we were leaving, I asked my daughter if she'd been "freaked out" & she said, "No, not really, but to be honest, dad, I didn't even know you had it on".......TELL MEIHAVEN'T RAISED A SHEEPLE!

Post imported post

Good to know there wasn't any further hassle.

Ever have any experience carrying in a Target store?

Post imported post

You should have stayed focused on the corporate policy. Private businesses do not need a law to ban firearms. Explaining that OC is legal because it has not been made illegal would have been productive. Teaching opportunities are great just don't slide into intentionally poking the other side in the eye.

Post imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:

As we were leaving, I asked my daughter if she'd been "freaked out" & she said, "No, not really, but to be honest, dad, I didn't even know you had it on".......TELL MEIHAVEN'T RAISED A SHEEPLE!

Nope, it means it's a normal part of life for her, and so she just didn't notice. Good job!
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    Good to know there wasn't any further hassle.

Ever have any experience carrying in a Target store?
    Tacoma area Targets have been very receptive to OC.

Post imported post

Nicely done, 5jeffro7.