• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great store conversation

chiefjason

imported post

Ran to the local Food Lion this evening. I was OC'ing my .45. Went to check out and the cashier gave me the usual, "Are you a cop?" question. I was tired and a bit slow on the take. I only got out "No, but..." When from beside me the bagboy pipes up "OC is legal in NC." I turned and looked, the kid was about 16 or so. Told him he was the first person I had run into that really knew that and not the "It's legal, but..." that I usually get. Seems his dad is a local CC instructor. We talked guns and CC classes for a few minutes. Guess we are raising a few of them right around here. Gonna have to give Food Lion a bit more of my business now too.

ocgso

imported post

Nice to see a CC instructor that is telling his class the truth.

My CC instructor stated "Open carry is legal in NC, but you absolutely never want to do it unless you are in an extremely rural setting. This is because you will be hassled by business owners and police officers who view you as Billy Bad @$$ and don't want you around." "You will end up in handcuffs and you will end up paying legal fees to fight the charges."

He then added that if you had to use deadly force and you were OC'ing that the DA would use the argument that you were just looking for a confrontation with your pistol in plain view.

We argued over it a few minutes and then he said, I told them it was legal and I am entitled to give my opinions on the matter. And if I didn't like it, I could become and instructor and teach them different.:cuss:

Problem is that this particular instructor works for a large indoor shooting range and they run literally thousands of people through their classes every year. Certainly not helping the cause.:banghead:

They no longer get my business.

Just glad that one CC instructor is telling it like it is (without the "but")

chiefjason

imported post

ocgso, make that 3 instructors. The 2 I had for my class along with all the range officers know OC is legal. Some of the range officers OC while on duty at the range and in the store upstairs. That said, they don't do it regularly. They all prefer CC. Even had the CC instructor say you could get hammered drunk and OC, though he did not recomend it. :lol: Although I did get into a short discussion with the sheriff that was assisting with the class. Just to let him know I did not feel like I got any "extra" attention when I OC from the public or store owners.