• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

reloaded ammo

gamestalker

imported post

I'm a reloader and have been doing so for nearly 30 years. Additionally of interest is that of the thousands of rounds I've loaded for handgun, high power rifle, and shotgun, I've not had one single round mis fire or produce unexpected performance as I always follow the data from the many manuals I utilize as my source for data. My question is; can I sell my reloads to friends? I have a large number of fellow gun enthusiasts who are begging me to reload for them, 9mm, .357 mag, 40 cal, 45 ACP, and so on. I have much of this ammo already loaded but other than the obvious liability risk, I would like to know if it is in fact legal to sell my stuff? A couple of friends of mine just bought a couple of 1911s and have asked me to sell them each 500 rounds as all they have been able to locate in factory is around $60 per box. I could sell them jacketed hollow point, or what ever they want for $30 a box which is only costing me $6 per box to load. I would just sell the stuff but I'm a strict law abiding individual and don't want to violate any state or federal laws, ever! I gave away several boxes of 9mm, 40 cal. the other day to a friend of mine and he was so impressed with the quality that he told a bunch of friends of his who in all have created a demand of over 5,000 rounds which I have ready to go. Please research this for me guys and let me know where I stand in a legal sense.

Thanks,

gamestalker

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Reloaded ammo is sold all the time. If I buy reloads from someone it is usually because I know that they have been doing it for a long time and know what they are doing.

gamestalker

imported post

Hey, thanks for the heads up on that. I always chrony any loads that are new or different data too which will allow me to let the shooter know what to expect regarding reccoil and general performance. And as you stated in your reply tomy question, it is more than essential to know if the reloader is more than proficient in his knowledge of the process and takes all precautions to prevent possible issues. I personally won't load with fast burning powders due to the fact that an error in powder measure or double charge is always a concern.

gamestalker

reconvic

imported post

As was stated on prior post you can but for you sake alone I would put on the box or bag shoot at your own risk. Many lawsuits have come to that where friends have lost a finger due to a double charge which is rare but possible. I reload for a few close friends really not for money but because in Bullseye shooting you want it to be sort of a powder puff load, just shooting paper at 50 yards. Is all I want it to do and make rapid fire a bit more easy to capture my target fast again..
S/F Vic

Alexcabbie

imported post

Just like you gotta know who cleans your chitlin's you gotta know who reloads your ammo. OR since probably NOBODY here eats chitlin's, more like you gotta know who packs your parachute if you go skydiving, which again most of us don't; but yall get the idea. Some guy on this forum a while back wrote about a guy who used "three scoops" (like with raisin bran??) of powder because the casing didn't seem "full enough" IMO we have enough GOVERNMENT regulation, but the firearms community ought to establish a guild-like system for commercial reloaders. I have seen incredibly inexpensive ammo at the shows until I noticed the word "reloaded". I guess for now you need to get a rep as a dependable reloader because personally I love my firearms and if any of them expolded due to a bad reload I would be very very angry, indeed (to paraphrase Martian Maggot).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I started handloading because of a KB incident I had with factory ammunition.

I would defenitely look into way to prevent yourself from being sued if one of these buyers injures themselves or another with your ammunition. Not saying becuse of a defect, but because of the current liberal attitudes of many courts verifying that it is not everthe individuals fault they screwed up, it is society as a whole that caused them to screw up.

Now for the others, if you have some yahoo friend that just took up handloading, avoid that ammo until he has proven its quality.

I know a guy locally that loads for others, and does such a poor job in quality many of the rounds do not even fit in revolvers. He does not crimp! so the case mouth is usually to wide to fit, and he is commonly putting out rounds with high primers. the guys that buy it just bring back the unfired out of spec ammo for him to fix.

Legba

imported post

Read the fine print of the Gun Control Act, licensing requirements. Thin ice, my friend.

-ljp

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

If you are manufacturing ammunition for sale you must have the proper licensing. Not only a special license from the ATF but local licensing for running a business.
Do your homework and don't depend on opinions on the internet, including mine.

Alexcabbie

imported post

northstar65 wrote:
RE: reply from Alexcabbie.....Don't you mean Marvin Martian ?
That's what they call him NOW since the Roadrunner turned into a cutesy-poo long eyelashes naif instead of a bit of a smarta$$; the Coyote turned into something of the embodiment of evil instead of just a frustrated Everyman trying to get lunch and Yosemite Sam stopped whacking beasties in the butt to get them to move, running after them until they got to the destination and whacking them in the head to get them to stop. Somewhere along the line the knowitall "child psychologists" got ahold of Warner Bros. and took all the "Looney" outta the tunes.

In his first appearance vs. Bugs Bunny, MM arrived in a space ship cclearly emblazoned "Martian Maggot", and that's what we called him right up until I left home for the USAF.

Those were the days when everybody knew Yosemite Sam's behavior was NOT to be imitated but was rather indicative of the futility of that sort of thing. But all the do-gooders saw was "violence". What a bunch of funsuckers. Sheesh.

By the way I always wondered why MM's PU-236 Space Modulator didn't work (He wanted as you remember to blow up the Earth because it "Obstruct(ed) (his) view of Venus). After reading this thread my guess it was one of them damned reloads. :celebrate

reconvic

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
If you are manufacturing ammunition for sale you must have the proper licensing. Not only a special license from the ATF but local licensing for running a business.
Do your homework and don't depend on opinions on the internet, including mine.

The best response I seen yet! well done:celebrate
S/F Vic

gamestalker

imported post

I very much appreciate that response and it seems to me I read something to that effect in the Federal statues as well.If my memory serves me well, and it may not, I read something stating that selling your loads to law enforcement is the only area of legality in which I recall as follows; theonly monetary exchange must be considered to be gratuity may be accepted. There is no doubt a problem with liability of course. Anyone can sue anyone for any reason and they do it every dayOn the other hand my primary interest is to provide some ammo for fellow hunting and shooting friends, not to make a business of it. I do have another conflicting issue with the selling of reloads. When I go to the many gun shows here in Arizona there are numerous individuals selling reloads and they are just guys like me, not licensed or in any way representing a business. They are not discrete and as we all know those shows are crawling with BATF agents.

I thank everyone for their response and feel inspired to further research this with the necessary law enforcement agencies, as it so happens to be, one of my friends asking for ammo is a police officer. He told me the only guidelineis that he has to qualify with the same ammo he uses in the field and it must meet certain standards, velocity, type of projectile being the criteria.

Thanks,

gamestalker