• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Myrtle Beach

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

We're traveling to Myrtle Beach this week for vacation, from NC, and I've just realized that SC doesn't allow OC...Ughhhh Anyway, I was wondering about carrying while traveling, and I see that it's legal to carry as long as the weapon is located in the glove compartment or center console.

Does the console/compartment have to be locked, and am I required to notify a police officer, should I get stopped for whatever reason?

Thanks for your help...

hp-hobo

imported post

Your glove box or console don't need to lock, but they do need to be closed. You are not required to notify, but in my opinion it's better than opening the glove box and having your Glock fall out. Personally, when I carry in the vehicle as opposed to on my person, I keep the registration and insurance seperate from the gun and wouldn't bother to mention it's existence.

Here are the answers to all your questions, specifically 16-23-20(9)(a) and (15);

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA

Almost forgot. If you're on vacation, you might be using a motel/hotel. Take a look at 23-31-230;

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm

PT111

imported post

We're traveling to Myrtle Beach this week for vacation, from NC, and I've just realized that SC doesn't allow OC...
That is incorrect. In SC you are allowed to OC, CC or whatever on private property or while hunting or fishing unlike some states where you have to worry about OC or CC while in your own home. You just can't OC while in public places.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

I was referring to OC'ing in public, like we do in NC. So, that leads me to another question...Are you allowed to OC while at a hotel, since it's private property, or are you referring to property you personally own, or property where someone has given you permission to OC?

PT111

imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
I was referring to OC'ing in public, like we do in NC. So, that leads me to another question...Are you allowed to OC while at a hotel, since it's private property, or are you referring to property you personally own, or property where someone has given you permission to OC?
As recommended reading in a previous post.

SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.
Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.
You may also OC in this case.

As far as on the motel property other than in your room and going to and from you room that would be up to the motel owner. In SC I have never heard of a case where anyone has been arrested for either OC or CC in motels, stores etc. other than in a case where the owner complained os if the owner says OK then you are fine. Even churches fall under that for you to be arrested while carrying in a church the church board must agree to have you arrested.