• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indian Reservations

Yooper

imported post

Anyone know how indian reservations view open (or concealed) carry? I know they can make their own rules, but wonder if anyone has a list of which ones have different rules/regulations than what the state has.

I know I contacted the cheif of police for the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community about 5 years ago, and he told me that the tribe followed state law as far as firearms were concerned. Anyone know anything on the others?

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

As sovereign nations I would contact the tribal police for each of the reservations you plan to visit. Some you may be allowed to, and other not. For instance if you plan on attending a pow wow on a reservation I know the majority do not allow any alcohol or firearms of any kind.

I know that probably doesn't help much but just calling them is the best advice I can give you.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I can give some information for the Lac Du Flambeau WI tribe of lake Superior chippewa.
Firearm possession by any person that is not a card-carryin tribal member is prohibited on native land. I feel it may go the same for all midwest tribes.

I was invited by the head of LDF fish & Game departmentto go hunting with him, (he thought I was a member of the tribe) I told him I am not tribal and he apologized for me not being able to join him due to their laws.

Tribal land is a sovereign nation with laws that mimic both state and federal with some being different. Many tribes do have the legal ability to banish people from their land too.