• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Took small step, carry on a trail.

Blue Sky

Banned
imported post

I thought I'd share a very entry levelexperience in OCing I had this weekend while out in the woods. Some may know from my previous posts that I ALWAYS CC and have a kinda negative impression of OCing since reading all the stories of harrassment.

So, I decided to take a small step in open carry by going on a very well used trail. Ok, the trail is 1.7 miles from the parking lot to some huge waterfalls. I knew that there were at least 8 groups of people, by counting the numbers of cars.

On the way up I passed many groups with no comments. So, I'm getting pretty comfortable. After a mile I guy and girl combo passed me and he said something unsolicited. I asked for him to repeat: "There aren't any criminals up at the falls", and kept walking away from me.

"I sure hope not." Was my response. Of course later I came up with a more suitiable 'Better safe than sorry' line. Hopefully the guy got the clue that it's notabout getting into a conflict but to prevent/resolve one.

------------------

Later, a ranger came to the campsite where my friends and I were staying. He came over to talking about proper cleanup of these non-regulated sites and such. One of the females at our camp had her shoulder rig on. The ranger was extremely pleasant and said nothing about the gun.

All in all it seems to have been a positive experience.

Aaron1124

imported post

That's cool man. I'm sure that positive experience will do nothing but help ya feel more comfortable in the future. It's cool to know the Ranger was cool about it too.

shad0wfax

imported post

Blue Sky wrote:
[SNIP]After a mile I guy and girl combo passed me and he said something unsolicited.  I asked for him to repeat:  "There aren't any criminals up at the falls", and kept walking away from me. [SNIP]

I'd have been tempted to say, "No, but just last week a guy got dragged off into the bushes and eaten by a Cougar."

As far as I'm concerned, I expect to see OC on hiking trails. I'm shocked when I don't. Snakes, bears, cougars, coyotes, Sierra Clubbers... the list of dangerous animals goes on and on. :lol:

j2l3

imported post

Nice encounter! There will always be someone who refuses to take responsibility for themselves and will make a wise ass remark to those who do.

The key is to not give them the reaction they want.

Hammer

imported post

Same one I carry all the time and the Alaska Hiway Patrol uses cause of Griz, Polar bear, and Moose.
Glock 20- but mine's comp'd

Aaron1124 wrote:
What kind of pistol would you plan on OCing if you encountered a bear?

ghosthunter

imported post

Hey it would not be the first time someone was killed or attacked on a hiking trail by other humans. Look at the two women who were killed on a day hike a few years back. They still have not solved those murders.

If they want to go unarmed let them. Guys like that are the first to wish for a gun when something happens. I carry in the open all the time on every trail in National Forest or state. It is just another piece of equipment.

It amazes me someone would even say anything on a trail.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:

If there are two of all I need is a .22 - One shot to the other guys leg and no more bear worries for me.

Its an old joke, someone somewhere will have an issue with it.....

FunkTrooper

imported post

You know it's really hard to tell someone you need a gun for defense against wildlife because they have their faith in defense sprays. The only thing I would trust taking down a bear in defense would be a shotgun with slugs but for everything else a pistol is good. Honestly wildlife don't bother me as much as the creeps that come up to your campsite in the night or the ones growing drugs off the trail.

New Daddy

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
You know it's really hard to tell someone you need a gun for defense against wildlife because they have their faith in defense sprays. The only thing I would trust taking down a bear in defense would be a shotgun with slugs but for everything else a pistol is good. Honestly wildlife don't bother me as much as the creeps that come up to your campsite in the night or the ones growing drugs off the trail.

The old saw about the difference between Brown Bear scat and Grizzly scat:

Grizzly scat smells like pepper and has little bells in it.

Kildars

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

If there are two of all I need is a .22 - One shot to the other guys leg and no more bear worries for me.

Its an old joke, someone somewhere will have an issue with it.....
LOL!

Thanks for the laugh. This coupled with the cougar comment.

n16ht5

imported post

ive always wanted to get a Serbu super shotty and OC it on the trail... :lol: