• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping Near Cody in a Couple of Weeks

ksdrifter

imported post

Hi all
I'll be camping in the Absaroka range in a couple of weeks and I wondered if open carry is allowed in the wilderness area. I don't have a concealed carry permit so I'd like to open carry if possible. Thanks for any advice.

BigUgly

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KSDrifter,

First of all, I assume you to be from Kansas? If not, please correct me.

Wyoming is an unrestricted open carry state. The only places you cannot carry open are those restricted by the federal government. However, the statutes used to provent carry in federal facilities are under Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Section 930 - read the statutes! Pay especial attention to subsections (a) and (d)3. These parts state that lawful activitiesand incident to hunting,allow the carrying of firearms in federal facilities. If you want, contact me to discuss further, or I can send the statutes concerning carry in federal facilities.

If you pass through the Lander area on your way to Cody, let me know if you'd like to meet for a coffee - carrying open of course!

Big Ugly