• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of a walmart,

Aegis

imported post

Odd....there is no set standards it would appear.

I was not bothered with OC in the West St Paul Wal-Mart.... but asked to leave in the West St Paul Target.

someone called the Police to report "man with a gun" :what:....Naturally, the One LEO to show up was a 9 month rookie looking to his "big bust":banghead:

He really should have payed more attention in school...

aadvark

imported post

Wal-Marts' Official Policy from Bentonville, Arkansas is:

Wal-Mart follows State Law.

In Minnesota, Open Carry is Legal if you have a Permit.

This holds true for both Long Guns and Pistols.

TTcrunchberry

imported post

I open carried today and had my three year old daughter with me at Wal-Mart in Elk River. I have never been stared at so much in my life. I think just about every employee noticed and took special attention. Even customers where staring, mostly older men. I think it might be a sexist thing, or maybe they just "don't like guns." Who knows but I don't think I've ever shopped faster in my life. I was so glad to get out of there. I am pretty new to carrying and because of my wardrobe and larger size (and the size of my gun and the holster I have) concealing doesn't really work. But, I agree that a door person shouldn't be able to tell you to leave. My boyfriend carries at a different Wal-Mart all the time and they have never said anything to him.

jweiss

St. Paul's Rockin Eastside, Minnesota, USA
imported post

aadvark wrote:
Wal-Marts' Official Policy from Bentonville, Arkansas is:

Wal-Mart follows State Law.

In Minnesota, Open Carry is Legal if you have a Permit.

This holds true for both Long Guns and Pistols.
you are incorrect long guns are not allowed to be carried under mn carry law [PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL]

amaixner

jweiss

imported post

amaixner wrote:
jweiss wrote
you are incorrect long guns are not allowed to be carried under mn carry law [PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL]
It doesn't really matter what is written on a permit card. What matters is what the actual law says about it:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?year=2009&id=624.7181#stat.624.7181.1

(b) "Carry" does not include
[3] the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;

thanks have read the law,chek out my post on tc oc ur not gonna like it!!

jweiss

imported post

maixner wrote:
jweiss wrote:
thanks have read the law,check out my post on Tc occur not gonna like it!!
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure to what you are referring in this post. Could you please expand?
:banghead:Yea I know, I abbreviated wasn't sure how much room I had for the reply. Thanks though.Open carry is a sore spot with me because of an incident I had with St. Paul LEO's.

amaixner

imported post

I'm still kind of confused. I read your entire post history here and on carryforum.com. It appears that a LEO told you that open carry with a permit was illegal -- is that what you are talking about?

Best advice you will ever hear in your life: don't take legal advice from the police. ever.

Be polite, respectful, and follow the law. If you are arrested for OC with a permit with no mitigating circumstances (such as actual disorderly conduct), invoke your 5th amendment right, request a lawyer, and shut your mouth permanently from there on.You can sue their pants off.

jweiss

imported post

amaixner wrote:
I'm still kind of confused. I read your entire post history here and on carryforum.com. It appears that a LEO told you that open carry with a permit was illegal -- is that what you are talking about?

Best advice you will ever hear in your life: don't take legal advice from the police. ever.

Be polite, respectful, and follow the law. If you are arrested for OC with a permit with no mitigating circumstances (such as actual disorderly conduct), invoke your 5th amendment right, request a lawyer, and shut your mouth permanently from there on.You can sue their pants off.
:banghead:Yes exactly I was told by LEO no OC. And no I don't take legal advice from police, do listen though, don't really want to sit in jail deal with all the BS,have friends who are carry instructors they say don't push it, although I Am tempted to just to see what happens. Was LE/Security USAF, am truck driver always am polite,respectful,law abiding,to much too loose.

TacticalDaywalker

I realize that necroing a post as my first may be frowned upon, but I actually have an insight on the above's issue. I'm currently Security Forces for the USAF, and according to our regulations that we follow for Federally owned lands (aka, bases, posts, etc) only on duty sentries, LEO or Federal officers are allowed to carry, either open or concealed (which requires a dod document to do) while on the military installation. All others are required to follow transport laws and have the ammunition and firearm in separate cases and out of the reach of any member of the vehicle. I am pretty sure this is because the military is acting as land owners and the property is not strictly considered publically accessible. I may be wrong on the legalities, but just wanted to explain my understanding of the circumstance.

MKEgal

Welcome aboard!

TacticalDaywalker said:
All others are required to follow transport laws and have the ammunition and firearm in separate cases and out of the reach of any member of the vehicle.
Federal transport laws do not require separate cases for firearms & ammo.

robdoar

I realize that necroing a post as my first may be frowned upon, but I actually have an insight on the above's issue. I'm currently Security Forces for the USAF, and according to our regulations that we follow for Federally owned lands (aka, bases, posts, etc) only on duty sentries, LEO or Federal officers are allowed to carry, either open or concealed (which requires a dod document to do) while on the military installation. All others are required to follow transport laws and have the ammunition and firearm in separate cases and out of the reach of any member of the vehicle. I am pretty sure this is because the military is acting as land owners and the property is not strictly considered publically accessible. I may be wrong on the legalities, but just wanted to explain my understanding of the circumstance.

What does that have to do with a civilian open carrying in a Minnesota Walmart?