Thread: UFC Fighter Frank Mir talks guns and weapons

Post imported post

Post imported post

He brings up scores of great points that we should all use more often.

Banned

Post imported post

Given the crowd that watches UFC, he's preaching to the choir. It's always nice to see celebrities and people of public influence talking pro-gun though.

Post imported post

There is another tidbit in a yahoo sports column:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...&type=lgns

Mir, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s interim heavyweight champion, had a pair of real handguns on his hips and two large knives around his midsection. A fierce advocate of the Second Amendment, Mir holds a concealed weapons permit and believes there would be less crime if more people carried guns. A skeptic questioned why Mir, one of the finest mixed martial arts fighters in the world, would need more weaponry than a small-town police force for protection. Mir didn’t budge. “No question about it, I need them more than you,” the powerfully built, 6-foot-3, 250-pound Mir said to a middle-aged, out-of-shape reporter. “If someone’s coming after me, they’re probably not going to come after me 1-on-1. And they’re probably going to come after me with the intention of doing me harm or doing my family harm.”
    "I am bigger and stronger and famous, so I need them more." Probably isn't the greatest argument.

He went from concealed to open carry, and he seems political. Wonder if he'll sign up.

Post imported post

ttt

Post imported post

rob_sgttype wrote:
    There is another tidbit in a yahoo sports column:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...&type=lgns

snip
    "I am bigger and stronger and famous, so I need them more." Probably isn't the greatest argument.

He went from concealed to open carry, and he seems political. Wonder if he'll sign up.

I think the meaning behind his words are that anyone willing to do premeditated harm to a 6'3 250lb man who looks to be in great shape will go about it differently as opposed to going after a little old lady. Although I agree that it was implied, in a subtle way, that he was at greater potential risk because of his celebrity status.

At the end of the day though, a gun is still the great equalizer - no matter your social status, physique, age, etc.