• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UFC Fighter Frank Mir talks guns and weapons

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Given the crowd that watches UFC, he's preaching to the choir. It's always nice to see celebrities and people of public influence talking pro-gun though.

rob_sgttype

imported post

There is another tidbit in a yahoo sports column:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Aq1R1kUdt5j9hVYBQ1CDYls5nYcB?slug=ki-mir070909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mir, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s interim heavyweight champion, had a pair of real handguns on his hips and two large knives around his midsection. A fierce advocate of the Second Amendment, Mir holds a concealed weapons permit and believes there would be less crime if more people carried guns. A skeptic questioned why Mir, one of the finest mixed martial arts fighters in the world, would need more weaponry than a small-town police force for protection. Mir didn’t budge. “No question about it, I need them more than you,” the powerfully built, 6-foot-3, 250-pound Mir said to a middle-aged, out-of-shape reporter. “If someone’s coming after me, they’re probably not going to come after me 1-on-1. And they’re probably going to come after me with the intention of doing me harm or doing my family harm.”
"I am bigger and stronger and famous, so I need them more." Probably isn't the greatest argument.

He went from concealed to open carry, and he seems political. Wonder if he'll sign up.

foxcall

imported post

rob_sgttype wrote:
There is another tidbit in a yahoo sports column:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Aq1R1kUdt5j9hVYBQ1CDYls5nYcB?slug=ki-mir070909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"I am bigger and stronger and famous, so I need them more." Probably isn't the greatest argument.

He went from concealed to open carry, and he seems political. Wonder if he'll sign up.

I think the meaning behind his words are that anyone willing to do premeditated harm to a 6'3 250lb man who looks to be in great shape will go about it differently as opposed to going after a little old lady. Although I agree that it was implied, in a subtle way, that he was at greater potential risk because of his celebrity status.

At the end of the day though, a gun is still the great equalizer - no matter your social status, physique, age, etc.