• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDIFC - OC Dinner in Fairfax County - Champps Americana Reston

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I saw a few problems with this get together. I would have been better if everyone was seated at a long single table to foster conversation and meeting others. Also, since most of use are known by our OCDO handles, perhaps name tags with the handle and the true name would work????

I'm happy I had the chance to join you folks. And with a manager such as the one that came around to thank everyone, I hope their business continues to prosper.

Glock27Bill

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I saw a few problems with this get together. I would have been better if everyone was seated at a long single table to foster conversation and meeting others. Also, since most of use are known by our OCDO handles, perhaps name tags with the handle and the true name would work????

I'm happy I had the chance to join you folks. And with a manager such as the one that came around to thank everyone, I hope their business continues to prosper.

On the other hand, I got to know 5 folks real well. Somehow it was a little more intimate thn sitting at a long table, where I only get to know the folks immdeiately around me anyway.

I kinda like the idea of name tags, for those who choose to wear them.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Fun dinner! I was glad to have a table full of gearheads!:celebrate (Ok 3/4):p I did come away from this dinner with two questions though.

SouthernBoy- Why are you driving a stock TL and not some highly modified American Muscle car for being such a gearhead? I expected a garage full of high HP V8's from your conversation!!! Anyways had a blast listening to car stories! :)

All- I proposed this at the dinner table, but lets say that I was out with one of my lady friends one night (when I am 21) and I was CC. So some guy starts to verbally harass the girl and I step in to tell him to please back off and deescalate the situation. He decides to get pushy and pulls a knife on me. Obviously I would draw and hope that he got the hint. If he did in fact draw and come at me with the knife I would have to be forced to shoot. My question is that in court, how will self defense hold up? Yes I defended myself from a guy with a knife, but I did not have to talk to him in the first place. The only reason that I talked to him was to deescalate a situation between him and my friend. Would I be said as having instigated the situation in court or would it be justifiable self defense because I was trying to protect a friend by peacefully resolving a situation?

I thought this was an interesting question. I would like to see what everyone's input is. Thanks!

(If there is an issue with it being in this thread I can start a new one if need be. Let me know.)

SouthernBoy

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Fun dinner! I was glad to have a table full of gearheads!:celebrate (Ok 3/4):p I did come away from this dinner with two questions though.

SouthernBoy- Why are you driving a stock TL and not some highly modified American Muscle car for being such a gearhead? I expected a garage full of high HP V8's from your conversation!!! Anyways had a blast listening to car stories! :)

All- I proposed this at the dinner table, but lets say that I was out with one of my lady friends one night (when I am 21) and I was CC. So some guy starts to verbally harass the girl and I step in to tell him to please back off and deescalate the situation. He decides to get pushy and pulls a knife on me. Obviously I would draw and hope that he got the hint. If he did in fact draw and come at me with the knife I would have to be forced to shoot. My question is that in court, how will self defense hold up? Yes I defended myself from a guy with a knife, but I did not have to talk to him in the first place. The only reason that I talked to him was to deescalate a situation between him and my friend. Would I be said as having instigated the situation in court or would it be justifiable self defense because I was trying to protect a friend by peacefully resolving a situation?

I thought this was an interesting question. I would like to see what everyone's input is. Thanks!

(If there is an issue with it being in this thread I can start a new one if need be. Let me know.)
Guns, cars, and boats. It's the way to be in my book. 'Course at present, I am boatless.

I have modded six of the cars I've owned over the years. The reason I have not added any bolt on's to my TL is that there is not as much of a gain by doing this with the 3G TL. Their exhaust systems is actually quite good and reasonably low restriction as is their stock intake system. The best bolt on between these two areas is a quality J-pipe. And you can't install headers because the heads don't have exhaust manifolds - really, I'm not kidding. The engineers did an excellent job tuning the ECU for really good throttle response, too. And finally, it is a luxury performance sedan and as such, I didn't want to mess with this one (have to think of the market when the time to sell comes up). Now the CTS-V, the G8 GXP, and the Z06 really ring my bell. Maybe someday I'll get a "toy" again.

Someone made a comment this week on one of the OCDO forums about how OC'ers tend to be some of the nicest people he meets. Well, I also find this to be the case. The first OCDO OC'er I met was Agent19, at my local McDonalds one Saturday morning. For those of you who have not had the pleasure, he is one affable character - and I mean that in a positive light. He welcomes you in immediately and has a world of stories to tell. For me, he was a strong force to join other OC'ers at restaurant get togethers. Gearheads tend to be the same way. Maybe because cars and guns go together naturally.

Sorry I diverted gentlemen, but I am a hardcore gearhead.

fairfax1

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Fun dinner! I was glad to have a table full of gearheads! (Ok 3/4):p
The other 1/4 of the table would be a gearhead if he had a nicer car :). I'm a techie instead, it is a lot cheaper in the long run. :p

I also like the nametag idea for future events.

SouthernBoy

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Fun dinner! I was glad to have a table full of gearheads! (Ok 3/4):p
The other 1/4 of the table would be a gearhead if he had a nicer car :). I'm a techie instead, it is a lot cheaper in the long run. :p

I also like the nametag idea for future events.
I'm also a techie (software engineer), but I never think of myself in that vain. Not because I'm ashamed or anything. Just because I relate more to other things.