• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Comment

gporonsk

imported post

I recently purchased a Kimber 1911. While at Cabela's for an unrelated purchase, I overheard a clerk at the pistol section of the gun counter telling a potential customer that in MI. you didn't need a permit of any kind to open carry in the state. While I'd been told that it was legal to open carry in MI. I'd never considered that it was for anyone who legally purchased a handgun. When I got home I was troubled that a sales clerk would tell this to someone and possibly put them in danger of a serious offense, so I called the Jackson County Sheriff's office and described what I heard and asked if it was true. "Yup. No Problem." was the reply I got. I repeated the question as follows to be sure we understood each other: "You mean with no CCP or any other permit I can carry a pistol in a holster in plain sight without fear of reprisal?" Again the reply was, "Yup. No Problem."

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has called either Jackson county or any other county police or sheriff and gotten a similar response or if maybe this guy was just a gun friendly, but misinformed officer.

cabman1

imported post

Welcome to the site!!We have all had some form of leo contact while carrying we are hosting a picnic on July 19th check out the tread and see if its something you would be interested in.

T Vance

imported post

Yes, several of us we have had contact with various Jackson police regarding OC (open carry).

Welcome, and make sure you read this thread and know it from front to back before you start OCing. Keep in mind that having a CPL makes in much more easier to open carry

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/17262.html

Here are a few links to some Jackson incidents regarding OC. Keep in mind, most of these links are in regards to NEGATIVE experiences some of us have had with LEO's. If you read through the 110 pages of OC experiences stickied at the top of the forum, you will see that MANY of us OC on a regular basis around town without incident. Most of those negative experiences were months ago before alot of us were OCing on a regular basis and before more people from the Jackson area started doing it. So far I have had only 1 negative experience in the 3 months I've been doing it.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/27910.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/24343.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/25244.html

Here is a link to a news article that was in the Jackson Citizen Patriot about some of us that were OCing Jackson. I was the guy at Target.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2009/04/jackson_area_police_receive_se.html

Read these links too pertaining to the lead up to that day that they talk about in the paper.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/24681.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/25094.html

You should come to the picnic we are having at Cascades Park in Jackson on July 19th. It would be a great place to start your open carrying experience and meet other people that open carry! Here is a link to the information about the picnic.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/27096.html

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

gporonsk wrote:
I recently purchased a Kimber 1911. While at Cabela's for an unrelated purchase, I overheard a clerk at the pistol section of the gun counter telling a potential customer that in MI. you didn't need a permit of any kind to open carry in the state. While I'd been told that it was legal to open carry in MI. I'd never considered that it was for anyone who legally purchased a handgun. When I got home I was troubled that a sales clerk would tell this to someone and possibly put them in danger of a serious offense, so I called the Jackson County Sheriff's office and described what I heard and asked if it was true. "Yup. No Problem." was the reply I got. I repeated the question as follows to be sure we understood each other: "You mean with no CCP or any other permit I can carry a pistol in a holster in plain sight without fear of reprisal?" Again the reply was, "Yup. No Problem."

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has called either Jackson county or any other county police or sheriff and gotten a similar response or if maybe this guy was just a gun friendly, but misinformed officer.

Just so youeverything isclear; there was no misunderstanding. The officer is not misinformed. If you read the information contained in the links above you will discover as much.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew in no uncertain terms that it is legal to OC (Open Carry)in Michigan and no license or permit is required.

Yooper

imported post

I'm amazed that so many gun owners in this state didn't know that OC is legal.
I've known since lllllllllooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg before I was legally able to purchase/posses a handgun that open carry was legal, and never thought it was much of a mystery.

Almost every handgun owner I knew growing up knew OC was legal also, infact, I was probably 10 or so when my uncle and I were talking about handguns when it came up that he said "I could carry this in the mall if I wanted. They'd probably kick me out, but there's nothing illegal about it."

I'm not meaning to offend anyone, but it kind of brings me back to reality when what I assumed was common knowledge isn't really that common.

Michigander

imported post

Yooper wrote:
I'm amazed that so many gun owners in this state didn't know that OC is legal.
Years ago, knowledge of the legality of open carry was easy to come across if you were a student of gun laws or lived somewhere you could hunt, but seemingly everyone was dead set against it in urban areas, with heavy emphasis on the idea you'd be arrested and maybe shot if you did it.

I'm 23 now, and I can remember being in my early teens, living in metro Detroit (the ass hole of the state) telling people that open carry was legal, and they'd look at me like I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about.

Kimberguy

imported post

gporonsk wrote:

Greetings friend!!! get a hold of me and we'll do lunch! I get excited to meet new people in Jackson.... if I am not mistaken, i have had the most over all trouble with the PD, but it has been Jackson City police. Blackman, & Jackson Sheriff have been cool. PM me... we'll get together, of show up to cascades on the 19th.

And welcome!!!!

wally1120

imported post

I wouldn`t ask A police officer if something was legal or not. They don`t want to look through the books to see what they say. I would meet at A picnic which we have one coming up in jackson on the 19 this Saturday and ask the experience`s of everyone that is there that they have had

T Vance

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I wouldn`t ask A police officer if something was legal or not. They don`t want to look through the books to see what they say. I would meet at A picnic which we have one coming up in jackson on the 19 this Saturday and ask the experience`s of everyone that is there that they have had
The picnic is on SUNDAY, not Saturday.

wally1120

imported post

Sorry just saw I messed up on the date of the picnic,Thanks T. I was getting ahead of my self next saturday the 25th is IDPA shoot at Jackson County Outdoor Club (JCOC)

cabman1

imported post

did you hear the paper will be there hopefully some one with a printer at home will print up some trifolds damn being in the hospital put me a week behind