• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd at Orange Beach.

Mississippian

imported post

I OC'd my SS 1911 with a few stares but definately no problems.

When we came in to trailer the boat, the AL Marine Police were docked and checking everyone who was coming and going. He wanted to see my permit but was more interested in seeing the fish we had caught and the paperwork pertaining to fishing and boating...I was not disarmed or lectured about OCing oranything.

Now, before any of you say that I should have refused to show my permit, the officer saw me in the boat (a motor vehicle) and common sense told him I was going to get in the truck pulling the boat (another motor vehicle), so yes...Although it shouldn't be, the permit was a requirement...Also tha fastest way for me to not get invited on the next trip would be to cause trouble for everyone;).

Mississippian

imported post

I forgot to add in the original post that the same dayI OC'd at a seafood/BBQ restaurant (can't remember name) that is located on CR-27 somewhere near Fairhope, all I can remember is the restaurant is on the west side of the road and has an old sailboat outfront for decoration...Oh yea, stick to the seafood...The BBQ wasn't all that great.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow, that's pretty gutsy, did you just forget , or just didn't care, damn , that was a close one. That whole motor vehicle thing is stupid as shit, but for some stupid reason they have it as part of the law, be carefully and always make sure you have a shirt long enough with you to conceal it when your in a vehicle.

Mississippian

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:
Wow, that's pretty gutsy, did you just forget , or just didn't care, damn , that was a close one. That whole motor vehicle thing is stupid as @#$%, but for some stupid reason they have it as part of the law, be carefully and always make sure you have a shirt long enough with you to conceal it when your in a vehicle.

Iwasn't trying to begutsy, I am just following the law:).

Forget what? To cover up while in a motor vehicle? That is a myth.

In AL, youare not required toCC whilein a motor vehicle, but a permit is required whetheryou are CCing or OCingin a motor vehicle.
13A-11-73

"No person shall carry a pistol in any vehical or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefore as hereinafter provided."
Carry-On.:dude:

kurtmax_0

imported post

Concealing in a vehicle only legal way? You can OC in a vehicle if you have a permit.

Now it may be illegal to conceal other weapons other than handguns in a vehicle. It all depends on the definition of on your person. IE... is a rifle hidden under the seat considered on your person. I vaguly remember a court case going over the terminology, but I can't remember atm.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Concealing in a vehicle only legal way? You can OC in a vehicle if you have a permit.

Now it may be illegal to conceal other weapons other than handguns in a vehicle. It all depends on the definition of on your person. IE... is a rifle hidden under the seat considered on your person. I vaguly remember a court case going over the terminology, but I can't remember atm.
so what are you guys trying to say kurt and Missp, are you trying to say if you have a CC permit your ok to carry openly in your car, or are you leaving something out, like you have to have a OC permit , to OC in you car, or other vehicle. And how do you suppose that works on a motorcycle. Since your not techinally or literally in a vehicle, but instead on a vehicle, then you legally should be allowed to OC while riding ON a motorcycle.:celebrate

Mississippian

imported post

My interpretation is if you are going to travel any publicright-of-wayin the state of AL on or in any vehicle that requiresa license plate or registrationthen you are required to have a permit if you are going to either conceal or openly carry a handgun.

To me, this is a good generalization, exceptions and restrictions do apply;):).

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To me, this is a good generalization, exceptions and restrictions do apply;):).

I like that part Mississippian, I understand what your talking about, and I know we are not suppose to try and interpret the law, but the wording is there and just so fun find a play on words in legal documents, I guess they forgot to put that part in about in or on a vehicle traveling from one place to another.:):cool:

kurtmax_0

imported post

I wouldn't test the in/on thing. While it's not specifically spelled out in the code (like, singular == plural, etc) it's close enough that a judge might just not take your side.

You could ride on a bicycle though...

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I wouldn't test the in/on thing. While it's not specifically spelled out in the code (like, singular == plural, etc) it's close enough that a judge might just not take your side.

You could ride on a bicycle though...

So your saying that YOU THINK or KNOW that you could ride on a bicycle while OC'ing? I might have to ask a attorney about the motorcycle thing, cause it's still a technicality, and that's the bottom line. So I'll ask someone who studies the law for years and see what he says. Unless of course you are a lawyer kurtmax_0.

Thanks for your input on that though kurtmax_0 you have a strong point still on the response to the motorcycle issue, but it's something that may need to be looked in more depth.:idea:

kurtmax_0

imported post

I checked into it awhile back, and IIRC 'vehicles' as they are defined in the code mean vehicles that require registration (boats, cars, motorcycles/scooters, etc), and not other vehicles like bicycles, ATVs, etc.

IANAL though. Also, I have to keep track on laws in a dozen or so states, so I can get mixed up sometimes. You should be able to do a text search of the CoA and find out the definitions...

steven

imported post

I asked the boaz police dept about carrying on a motorcycle and the told me that as long as you try to conceal it that there shouldn't be a problem and if someone does see it or you get pulled over tell the cop you have it and whit a cc permit there shouldn't be any problem

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Boaz, Al, wow, that's a pretty place, such a great place to go shopping, I haven't been to that town in ages, how is it there, still nice. Well anyways down to biz, so the cop said it's basically ok, so long as you TRY to conceal, right?

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

steven wrote:
I asked the boaz police dept about carrying on a motorcycle and the told me that as long as you try to conceal it that there shouldn't be a problem and if someone does see it or you get pulled over tell the cop you have it and whit a cc permit there shouldn't be any problem
I just wonder how Mobile Police would react to that, if at all. I hope they wouldn't , but we are talkn about Mobile now aren't we, or at least I am, hope they would be as polite as Boaz Police and just leave me alone so long as I attept to conceal my licensed firearm. But if there not as polite, well I guess I get to take a free taxie straight to jail, but, hey I will still try it , cause it is my right, and I will honestly try to conceal the gun using my permit of course.

kurtmax_0

imported post

steven wrote:
I asked the boaz police dept about carrying on a motorcycle and the told me that as long as you try to conceal it that there shouldn't be a problem and if someone does see it or you get pulled over tell the cop you have it and  whit a cc  permit there shouldn't be any problem 

We are talking about carrying a firearm on a motorcycle without a permit. Trying to conceal it would be illegal. Carrying unconcealed would be questionably legal without a permit... but very questionably.

Get a permit if you are carrying with a vehicle.