Thread: Carry in CT State Parks?

Post imported post

Any CT statutes that ban carry in State Parks?

Post imported post

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/regula...-1through5.pdf

(c)
    Hunting/weapons.

Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons,

including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any

state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental

Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions

of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted thereunder.

I answered my own question

Post imported post

I wondered about that Myself. I was never sure. Thanks.

Post imported post

Seriously that is a vague statement. Why can't our legislature be plain in its language. Also, are these the actual statutes?

Post imported post

dwayner79 wrote:
    ... Also, are these the actual statutes?
    Are DEP regs also state stautes?

I dunno!?

Post imported post

Yea, I am not sure... I do not think they go through the legislative process.

Post imported post

If you look at the pdf document, it states for Bluff Point Coastal Preserve. It doesn't say anything about other state parks.

The question is still open. I would like to know, because I go hiking. Not that anyone really would notice anyway because no one's around.

Post imported post

According to this regulation it would also be illegal to have a lottery ticket in your possession while in a state park.

Post imported post

I see nothing in the CGS about carrying in a state park/forest...I don't see what authority they have to say that..I know in Bloomfield, CT they have signs in town parks/land (at least in 2) that No Firearms are allowed...

Banned

Post imported post

I'd be interested in an answer on this too. I've never seen any no firearms signs in state forests/parks. Kind of kills my safehiking if I can't do it armed.

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, USA

Post imported post

I believe the regulation you referenced has to do with "hunting". For example, you can't "hunt" 500 feet from a residence, but you can target shoot, ina safe manner, in your property, less then 500 feet from a residence.

I carry when I hike in state parks regularly. No problems so far

Post imported post

Looks like carrying on state owned land is banned unless you possess a hunting license and a valid Permit to Carry.

Statute:
    Hunting or carrying of firearms ... is not permitted in any state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental Protection.
    Which, from their website only allows firearms for licensed hunting and, I believe I've seen elsewhere, permitted historical reenactments.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=429014
    Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). ... A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry.

Post imported post

I forgot to mention this part from the same page as above:

Trap or target shooting on any state property or public hunting area is prohibited unless the area is a designated shooting range.

Post imported post

So if you're carrying in the woods for self protection while on your hike you are in violation because you don't have a hunting license?

Seems to me that's something that needs a remedy, if you're hunting all well and good, but if you're not hunting, or not hauling a carcass out of the woods that you shot with your sidearm I don't see what the problem is.

I thought we were presumed innocent?

Banned

Post imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
    I thought we were presumed innocent?

You didn't get the memo? They changed to: "Presumed guilty until, and even after, proven innocent."

Post imported post

I still really doubt the ability of a state agency or a local municipality to enforce the prohibition of the carrying of firearms. Think about it. What if under the same lines that the DEP tries to make a ruling that no carrying is allowed in State Parks, the Commissioner of the Department of Transportation makes a rule that the carrying of firearms while on any State owned highway or roadway would be illegal. Under Heller the Supreme Court upheld that prohibitions could stand banning the carrying in "Sensitive" government buildings is ok. I take "sensitive" government buildings to be places such as Prisons, Treasury Buildings, White House, certain areas of Military Installations,House ofCongress,etc.(places that should require metal detector and screening devices so that a person canfeel reasonable safe knowing that others can'teasily smuggle in weapons)

I fail to see how Town Hall buildings, Schools, Local andState Parks, Most State Buildings, etc can be classified as "sensitive" buildings.

Post imported post

From my hunting friend i heard that you can't carry a handgun if bow hunting. So you are in trouble if a bear is coming at you and you only have bow & arrows good only for deer.

So What is the verdict?
    I have went hiking in state parks with my handgun since criminals don't fallow the law. Also the law will not help you if your dead.