• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in CT State Parks?

uskrusader

imported post

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/regulations/23/23-4-1through5.pdf

[align=left](c)
Hunting/weapons.[/align]
[align=left]Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons,[/align]
[align=left]including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any[/align]
[align=left]state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental[/align]
[align=left]Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions[/align]
of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted thereunder.

I answered my own question

dwayner79

imported post

Seriously that is a vague statement. Why can't our legislature be plain in its language. Also, are these the actual statutes?

dwayner79

imported post

Yea, I am not sure... I do not think they go through the legislative process.

atrule

imported post

If you look at the pdf document, it states for Bluff Point Coastal Preserve. It doesn't say anything about other state parks.

The question is still open. I would like to know, because I go hiking. Not that anyone really would notice anyway because no one's around.

buketdude

imported post

I see nothing in the CGS about carrying in a state park/forest...I don't see what authority they have to say that..I know in Bloomfield, CT they have signs in town parks/land (at least in 2) that No Firearms are allowed...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

I'd be interested in an answer on this too. I've never seen any no firearms signs in state forests/parks. Kind of kills my safehiking if I can't do it armed.

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
imported post

I believe the regulation you referenced has to do with "hunting". For example, you can't "hunt" 500 feet from a residence, but you can target shoot, ina safe manner, in your property, less then 500 feet from a residence.

I carry when I hike in state parks regularly. No problems so far

gluegun

imported post

Looks like carrying on state owned land is banned unless you possess a hunting license and a valid Permit to Carry.

Statute:
Hunting or carrying of firearms ... is not permitted in any state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental Protection.
Which, from their website only allows firearms for licensed hunting and, I believe I've seen elsewhere, permitted historical reenactments.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=429014
Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). ... A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry.

gluegun

imported post

I forgot to mention this part from the same page as above:

[font="Verdana,Arial,Geneva"]
Trap or target shooting on any state property or public hunting area is prohibited unless the area is a designated shooting range.
[/font]

GoldCoaster

imported post

So if you're carrying in the woods for self protection while on your hike you are in violation because you don't have a hunting license?

Seems to me that's something that needs a remedy, if you're hunting all well and good, but if you're not hunting, or not hauling a carcass out of the woods that you shot with your sidearm I don't see what the problem is.

I thought we were presumed innocent?

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I still really doubt the ability of a state agency or a local municipality to enforce the prohibition of the carrying of firearms. Think about it. What if under the same lines that the DEP tries to make a ruling that no carrying is allowed in State Parks, the Commissioner of the Department of Transportation makes a rule that the carrying of firearms while on any State owned highway or roadway would be illegal. Under Heller the Supreme Court upheld that prohibitions could stand banning the carrying in "Sensitive" government buildings is ok. I take "sensitive" government buildings to be places such as Prisons, Treasury Buildings, White House, certain areas of Military Installations,House ofCongress,etc.(places that should require metal detector and screening devices so that a person canfeel reasonable safe knowing that others can'teasily smuggle in weapons)

I fail to see how Town Hall buildings, Schools, Local andState Parks, Most State Buildings, etc can be classified as "sensitive" buildings.

AWDBrick

imported post

From my hunting friend i heard that you can't carry a handgun if bow hunting. So you are in trouble if a bear is coming at you and you only have bow & arrows good only for deer.

So What is the verdict?
I have went hiking in state parks with my handgun since criminals don't fallow the law. Also the law will not help you if your dead.