Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QUICK QEUSTION PLEASE HELP

Post imported post

i want to go to the grocerie store for a few things, they do sell booze.
    can i OC in the grocerie store without a cpl????
    plaese help i want to leave soon

Post imported post

NO if they are licensed to sell liqueur then you may NOT OC without a CPL.

Hope this helps.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I'm 19 and thus unable to obtain a CPL. I DO NOT go into any establishment that sells the hooch. I'm not sure if I can, so I error on the side of caution. I know the laws says any establishment licensed under the "insert legal jargon here" you can't enter without a CPL.

I don't have the cite off hand but it's readily available on this site, or on Google.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:
    WTF - you expect to get a rapid response answer, before you walk out the door, to such a question? And then to post it to two different sections of the forum for what purpose?

Make flashcards or better yet learn the basic do and don'ts before you pretend to carry. There is no substitute for personal responsibility.

Yata hey

PS - Using the cap key appropriately would benefit your readers.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    joe_robi wrote:
    WTF - you expect to get a rapid response answer, before you walk out the door, to such a question? And then to post it to two different sections of the forum for what purpose?

Make flashcards or better yet learn the basic do and don'ts before you pretend to carry. There is no substitute for personal responsibility.

Yata hey

Isn't there a forum for Virginia?

Geez, nice way to bit(h the guy out for no reason...

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    joe_robi wrote:

Yata hey

Didn't know that responsible OC was restricted to Va. - but if you say so.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I didn't see that asking that question was irresponsible.. quite the opposite. He thought of something that could be a problem and asked before he got into trouble.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I second that !!!

(didn't know they didn't teach patience and manners in Virgina either if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all):celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Never said that asking questions was irresponsible. Implied that waiting to the last minute and expecting someone to answer a basic question immediately was unreasonable.

I did not intend to insult the OP for his lack of knowledge - in fact stated he should acquire that before carrying.

Now if not being of the same opinion contradicts your definition of manners, then I am indeed unmannerly. Your civility is noted.

Yata hey

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Given that his question was answered here in9 min's and on another message board in just 1 min, Logic would dictate that it must not have been unreasonable.

Post imported post

a quick quesstion is all it was
    i have been researching oc for about1 yr now and here diff from diff people.
    it was a simple yes or no.
    i know quite abit about oc so far but i didnt know that thanks.

Post imported post

I see where you are coming from. Sometimes you read things, but like to have a simple "yes or no" to clarify what you have read.

Post imported post

It's legal, as far as I know, with specific permission from the owner of the liquor licensed business. I'd want it in writing.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    It's legal, as far as I know, with specific permission from the owner of the liquor licensed business. I'd want it in writing.
    This appears to be true with permission and as mentioned it should be in writing.

Here is the actual text of the pistol free zones for OC without a CPL

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a
    person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d)
    A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the
    Michigan liquor control act (BAR)
    . (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession
    of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    b) A peace officer.
    c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that
    possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    joe_robi wrote:
    WTF (If abbreviating a question, use a question mark.) - you expect to get a rapid response answer, before you walk out the door, to such a question? (Start of a new sentence, please use a capital letter.) And then to post it to two different sections of the forum for what purpose?(It's not proper to start a sentence with a conjunction, for example the word "and".)

Yata hey

Didn't know that responsible OC was restricted to Va. - (This should be a comma, not a hyphen.) but if you say so. (This is also a sentence fragment, it should begin with "I" to make it complete.)

Yata hey
    If you are going to criticize others, you should be focusing on proper English and sentence structure rather than other peoples use of the caps key. Do not bother to correct others posts until you have corrected your own. Or perhaps flash cards would work best for you.

Post imported post

I like how everyone has stood up for the way he was spoken to! :celebrate

Post imported post

Ahhh Grapshot has plenty of helpful posts on other threads but he seems to have had a bad day today.. it happens to the best of us!

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
    I'm 19 and thus unable to obtain a CPL. I DO NOT go into any establishment that sells the hooch. I'm not sure if I can, so I error on the side of caution. I know the laws says any establishment licensed under the "insert legal jargon here" you can't enter without a CPL.

I don't have the cite off hand but it's readily available on this site, or on Google.
    See... that pisses me off. Not you... but the law. I had no idea you were only 19.

CPL laws, if they're going to insist on licensing us to conceal, should be lowered to age 18. Here you have a responsible young man that has to waive his right to bear arms in order to go to a friggin' grocery store. And no, it's not the STORE making him do it... it's the STATE.

If you can voluntarily enlist, or be drafted into, the armed services... then you ought to be able to conceal a damn pistol. I was 17 when I joined the Army... throwing grenades, discharging mines, knocking down Ivans with my M-16. By the time I was 18, I was trained in explosives. I could be trusted by the federal government to rig C4... but not by the State conceal a pistol?

Hogwash.

Post imported post

lol How cute... a chat fight.

At least nobody is threatening anyone. I guess being a gun owner doesn't mean you're predisposed to violence, afterall.

Post imported post

Ummmmmmm....question here. I know this is several months later but....Wal-Mart sells alcohol and yet we can OC there. Am I right? I don't want to be in a bind.:what:
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    Ummmmmmm....question here. I know this is several months later but....Wal-Mart sells alcohol and yet we can OC there. Am I right? I don't want to be in a bind.:what:
    Not if you don't have a cpl and they sell alcohol (I don't believe all do).
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    You're mixing up a few things here.

Wal-Mart's corporate policy is to follow the laws of the state in which the local store resides. That means, if Open Carry is legal - then it's permissable to openly carry there.

Now, The state's law says that you can't carry into a place that has ANY type of liquor license without a CPL.

This means you can't carry into a walmart without a CPL (but once you have your CPL, you can carry - openly or concealed).

Post imported post

another question... is there a difference between selling liquor and beer. beacause the majority of walmarts do not sell liquor, only beer. I work for wal mart and am still unclear about it.

Post imported post

It makes no difference at all. ANY liquor license means no carry without a CPL.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

This is all pretty basic to learning about OC. The first thing one should learn is where they can have a firearm or not. Then all the other ins and outs. If you don't know that without a CPL you can't carry in any place that sells alcohol you should definitely read and learn more before OCing.

All this information is on the info sticky thread at the top of the page Michigan forum home page.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast