• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

QUICK OC QEUSTION PLEASE HELP

joe_robi

imported post

i want to go to the grocerie store for a few things, they do sell booze.
can i OC in the grocerie store without a cpl????
plaese help i want to leave soon

markand

imported post

Welcome to OpenCarry.org.

Sounds like you're in a bit of a hurry. I would have to say that you should probably ease up and slow down a bit. You really need to research, read and do your best to understand your state and local laws before you go out and do anything.

For example, it sounds like you are in Michigan and do not have a concealed carry permit from MI, or a resident permit from any of the other 49 states. If you don't have a concealed carry permit, you need to be aware, for example, that in Michigan, you can't carry openly while in your car, unless you have such a permit. You can carry openly in the grocery store that sells alcohol, but not in your car. This probably creates the silly requirement that you drive unarmed, with your unloaded firearm secured in accordance with MI law (whatever that is), park, exit, load and openly carry. Then do the reverse after you finish shopping. All without attracting any attention while handling the gun loading and unloading. Pretty stupid in my opinion.

Check out the link on this site to Michigan: http://www.opencarry.org/mi.html

You can also begin some research here: http://handgunlaw.us/
Look for the Michigan page.

My advice: If you're not sure you're legal, don't do it. Take the time to do your homework and, if necessary, consult an attorney *familiar* with your gun laws, and even then, question and verify what he/she tells you. Police aren't generally familiar with all of the nuances of gun laws, and often enforce what "feels right" or what they think or want the law to be, not what the law really is. If you get hassled by police, you need to understand the law and be able to talk intelligently and accurately if police try to tell you otherwise. Same with lawyers. Unless they practice and represent people in gun law cases, they aren't likely to be familiar with gun law.

Statesman

imported post

markand wrote:
Welcome to OpenCarry.org.

Sounds like you're in a bit of a hurry. I would have to say that you should probably ease up and slow down a bit. You really need to research, read and do your best to understand your state and local laws before you go out and do anything.

For example, it sounds like you do not have a concealed carry permit from MI, or a resident permit from any of the other 49 states. If you don't have a concealed carry permit, you need to be aware, for example, that you can't carry openly while in your car, unless you have such a permit. You can carry openly in the grocery store that sells alcohol, but not in your car. This probably creates the silly requirement that you drive unarmed, with your unloaded firearm secured in accordance with MI law (whatever that is), park, exit, load and openly carry. Then do the reverse after you finish shopping. All without attracting any attention while handling the gun loading and unloading. Pretty stupid in my opinion.

Check out the link on this site to Michigan: http://www.opencarry.org/mi.html

You can also begin some research here: http://handgunlaw.us/
Look for the Michigan page.

My advice: If you're not sure you're legal, don't do it. Take the time to do your homework and, if necessary, consult an attorney *familiar* with your gun laws, and even then, question and verify what he/she tells you. Police aren't generally familiar with all of the nuances of gun laws, and often enforce what "feels right" or what they think or want the law to be, not what the law really is. If you get hassled by police, you need to be understand the law and be able to talk intelligently if police try to tell you otherwise. Same with lawyers. Unless they practice and represent people in gun law cases, they aren't likely to be familiar with gun law.
Heed markand's warning here. KNOW you are legal BEFORE you do it. A 30 second OC experience is NOT worth legal trouble that could put you in jail, give you a record, and/or result in the loss of your gun and or rights to carry in the future.

Police aren't generally familiar with all of the nuances of gun laws, and often enforce what "feels right" or what they think or want the law to be, not what the law really is.
What the :cuss: ? Then what are the police in question enforcing?

markand

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Police aren't generally familiar with all of the nuances of gun laws, and often enforce what "feels right" or what they think or want the law to be, not what the law really is.
What the :cuss: ? Then what are the police in question enforcing?
Just to clarify, no swipe at police was intended. There are far too many laws for police or anybody else to keep up with all of the details and fine print. Police enforce what they understand to be the law. Sometimes that understanding doesn't agree with the law as written (and I've had personal experience along these lines). When that happens, corrective action needs to be taken to ensure that the laws are enforced as they should be, whether that be a formal complaint, lawsuit or other action. Most officers are just trying to do a good job in a system that's far from perfect.

reconvic

imported post

To get complete freedom you just need to get a CCP and you can always carry, either way OC or CC when you need too. Get the most of carrying both ways and you will never have a problem with the police, least wise I never had. Also I don't know your state rules but I do know mine well and keep updated , since they are always changing. I wish they still had Packing .Org. up it kept you up to date for some reason it has been taken down for over a year now?
S/F. Vic

Dustin

imported post

I'm pretty sure the saleing of Alcohol has to do with sale/consume/open container.

Not just Grocery Shopping.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get out of your vehicle when you go Grocery shopping, or getting gas at your local 7/11.