Thread: Terry vs. Ohio

Post imported post

Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court which held that the Fourth Amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures is not violated when a police officer stops a suspect on the street and searches him without probable cause to arrest, if the police officer has a reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime.

Does OC constitute, or give LEO the resonable suspicion that a crime is about to be commited? Can they use it as a loophole?

Post imported post

In Florida v. J.L., SCOTUS held that a stop and search is not justified unless the police witness unlawful behavior. When having a gun is not generally unlawful, it cannot give rise to a reasonable belief that crime is afoot.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    In Florida v. J.L., SCOTUS held that a stop and search is not justified unless the police witness unlawful behavior. When having a gun is not generally unlawful, it cannot give rise to a reasonable belief that crime is afoot.
    I know JSlack isn't from Minnesota, but in Minnesota, we can't depend on Florida v. J.L. The Minnesota Supreme Court found that possession of a gun in public is generally unlawful and that the permit to carry a pistol is an exception to the statute. Therefore, police in Minnesota are free to stop anyone carrying a firearm to determine if they have a permit.

State v. Timberlake, 744 N.W.2d 390, 394 (Mn. 2008) at
    http://www.lawlibrary.state.mn.us/ar...60072-0116.htm

DJ

Edited to add the citation for the Minnesota case.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    SNIP In Florida v. J.L., SCOTUS held that a stop and search is not justified unless the police witness unlawful behavior.
    Huh? That's not the Florida vs JL that I read.

Here is the relevant part of that case with regard to this thread:

...A second major argument advanced by[the government]is, in essence, that the standard Terry analysis should be modified to license a "firearm exception." Under such an exception, a tip alleging an illegal gun would justify a stop and frisk even if the accusation would fail standard pre-search reliability testing. We decline to adopt this position...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0529_0266_ZO.html

Thus the court expressly declined to adopt a "firearm exception" to the standard Terry analysis. Since the standard Terry analysis allows a police officer to search for and seize guns under certain circumstances, the position refused must be referring to another aspect of the Terry analysis--the part about detaining people only if the officer has reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime..

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.