• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Guns Save Lives" -- Times Dispatch Editorial

Repeater

imported post

Guns: Shooting Straight

Today's touché comes from a reader who raises a question about guns.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League recently handed out stickers at the Richmond Coliseum prior to an appearance by talk-show sensation Glenn Beck; "Guns Save Lives," the stickers read. Coliseum personnel asked the VCDLers to stop handing them out -- an affront to the First Amendment if ever there was one.

We support the Second Amendment as much as we do the First. We cheered the Supreme Court's ruling in Heller upholding an individual right to bear arms. We agree that guns cause crime to the same degree that flies cause garbage. But -- like the reader -- we wonder how well the notion that "guns save lives" squares with that other well-known gun-rights motto: "Guns don't kill, people do."

AtackDuck

imported post

But an excellent reposte by Philip:celebrate:

"Unfortunately, you can’t put more than a few words on a sticker and expect anyone to be able to see those small letters. So stickers must have very short and succinct wording.

If the number of words weren’t limited, the sticker would have a preamble and read, “In the hands of good people, Guns Save Lives”

:DYOWZA!

curtiswr

imported post

John L wrote:
i want a sticker
4. Need some Guns Save Lives Bumper Stickers ?
Thanks to the number of requests we have been getting for the "Guns Save Lives" bumper stickers ( http://www.vcdl.org/images/gsl.jpg ), we have streamlined the process. Send a self addressed stamped envelope with $.44 postage for 1 to 3 stickers and $.61 postage for 4 to 6 bumper stickers to:

VCDL Fulfillment Center
PO Box 254
Garrisonville, Virginia 22463

Enclose $1 (or more) for each bumper sticker ordered.

My note:
They aren't the same as the orange circular stickers/buttons written in the article, but they carry the same message (+ the bit about 2.5 million defensive uses a year).