• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New shooter introduction

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a coworker who's interested in learning to shoot. Has NO experience but a bit of archery. His girlfriend is interested as well.

I'm really busy for the next few weeks, and he leaves mid-August to return to college (he's interning with us).

Anyone got time to take a new shooter out in the next few weeks?

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm retired and always have the time, especially for a friend of even a friend of a friend. What I don't have is the place to shoot near you. I have a couple places near me, but you are 3 hours away.

Are they willing to drive down here to go shoot? I was a military marksmanship instructor for 20+ years with 3 years of that teaching the BASICS to recruits in boot camp. I do enjoy teaching "new folks" how to shoot. They're willing to learn and always enthusiastic.

feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details.

Mike

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Even though some people on this board don't like it.. I would have them go to http://www.virginiaCHPtraining.com and watch the video together... then they will get the basics so when they do actually get together with a live person, they know to keep it pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger, etc. They might also then have enough knowledge to formulate their learing questions because they won't be trying to take it ALL in at once.. they will have the basics so that can concentrate oin the actual shooting.

Just an idea.. Your mileage may vary. Where are they anyway?

Ed

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not a bad idea, Ed. I wouldn't recommend that type of class for someone who had a qualified friend to teach them (guess that's my background showing), but for a new shooter who doesn't even know what questions to ask, it might be a good starting point.

He's a rising 5th-year MIT student (a 5-year combined BS/MS program). Works in DC, but lives in Arlington, I think.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
Not a bad idea, Ed. I wouldn't recommend that type of class for someone who had a qualified friend to teach them (guess that's my background showing), but for a new shooter who doesn't even know what questions to ask, it might be a good starting point.

He's a rising 5th-year MIT student (a 5-year combined BS/MS program). Works in DC, but lives in Arlington, I think.
I might be able to help them out if they can come to the range in Ashburn.. I guess it all depends on times and dates

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will take anyone who wants to try shooting...for free. I am not a licensed or certified instructor and my training will not qualify them for anything. Nevertheless, anyone can meet me at the NRA range by appointment on Saturday or Sunday and shoot.

They will have to take the NRA range quiz to get on the range, then be able to keep their finger off the trigger until sights are on target and the muzzle pointed down-range at all times. I will show them and demonstrate how each firearm works (trigger, safety, magazine release, SA vs DA, slide lock & decocker), how to use the sights, load magazines, hold the firearm, breathe, squeeze the trigger and stance options.

For handguns we start with a one or two models of .22lr pistol, then work up through .380 ACP (when ammo is available), 9mm, .40 S&W, and even .45 ACP & 10mm if I feel they can do it safely. We will halt the progression at any point they get uncomfortable and focus on whatever caliber they are most comfortable shooting. As we progress I will teach them about common shooting issues (clenching, flinching, jerking the trigger, etc.). We will shoot Ruger Mark II, Beretta, SigSauers, Glocks, CZ75, H&Ks and 1911 as time, interest and aptitude permit.

I offer the same thing with rifles (.22lr, AR-15, AK-47 & AR10/FAL) for people not interested in handguns. Long gun sessions can include shotguns (slugs only) if specifically requested. Based on time constraints (and the number of firearms that will physically fit into my Miata) it is impossible to do both handguns and rifles in a single session although I have begun working the .22lr rifle into the pistol sessions because the GSG-5 is such fun to shoot.

So far I pay for everything including the $10/person one-time fee for the NRA range card, hourly range time charge, targets and ammunition. I provide double hearing protection (plugs & ear muffs), but they will have to get their eye protection from the NRA free basket. I'm considering having each person pay their own one-time fee and range time charge to defray costs, but have yet to do so.

Currently, all firearms are semi-auto based on my collection. Based on the feedback from participants, in the coming months I will add revolvers in .22lr, .38 spl & .357 to provide a broader range of shooting options. I will also teach someone to shoot with a firearm they already own if they bring the firearm and the ammunition.

I started doing this to interest my friends in shooting which evolved into letting them shoot as many firearms as possible before making a buying decision. Now my goal is to introduce as many people as possible to shooting. We will win the battle for the 2nd amendment in the range booth and the voting booth. One person at a time I try to move them from the anti-gun or indifferent columns to into the fold of the faithful.

I'll be out of town next weekend. Email or PM me and I'll give you my phone number which you can give to anyone interested. I train men, women & couples (but each individual gets less trigger time when it's more than one person) irrespective of race, religion or orientation.

Your faithful servant...useful_idiot :cool:

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've done the same as useful_idiot in the Richmond area, except I don't have range fees to worry about.

I've introduced about 8 new shooters per year for the last two years. I like the idea of having them watch that online safety video first, as I watched it with my wife and it does a decent job on the basics.

Richmond is a bit too far for them to travel I imagine, and it sounds like useful_idiot has a good system down in your area. If he can't get something scheduled and they want to make the drive, I'm free most Saturdays this month.

alnitak

imported post

I can help out as well. I belong to IWLA in Loudoun, so it would be a bit of a ride for him from Alexandria, but I could meet him out there during the week sometime (too crowded on Saturdays) and get him started with some pistol and long gun familiarity, safety and basic shooting. Just let me know.

GWRedDragon

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
I've done the same as useful_idiot in the Richmond area, except I don't have range fees to worry about.

I've introduced about 8 new shooters per year for the last two years. I like the idea of having them watch that online safety video first, as I watched it with my wife and it does a decent job on the basics.

Richmond is a bit too far for them to travel I imagine, and it sounds like useful_idiot has a good system down in your area. If he can't get something scheduled and they want to make the drive, I'm free most Saturdays this month.
I have introduced 3 new shooters and I would certainly agree that the video can't hurt. However, I still wouldn't take anyone before I had personally gone over the rules with them at least twice. So far I have done it once at home, where I can also familiarize them with things such as loading and unloading through the use of snap-caps, and then a second time at the firing line before they get a chance to shoot. Things like stance are also much easier to talk about at home than on a crowded firing line.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
bnkrazy wrote:

I have introduced 3 new shooters and I would certainly agree that the video can't hurt. However, I still wouldn't take anyone before I had personally gone over the rules with them at least twice. So far I have done it once at home, where I can also familiarize them with things such as loading and unloading through the use of snap-caps, and then a second time at the firing line before they get a chance to shoot. Things like stance are also much easier to talk about at home than on a crowded firing line.
I would agree, except I don't have a crowded firing line. I have access to 67 acres of private land. We can take our time and make sure everyone is comfortable. ;)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I knew you folks were awesome.

I'm going to print out these responses and show them to him at work tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I really would like to do it myself, but I'll just have to wait for another time.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
I have a coworker who's interested in learning to shoot. Has NO experience but a bit of archery. His girlfriend is interested as well.

I'm really busy for the next few weeks, and he leaves mid-August to return to college (he's interning with us).

Anyone got time to take a new shooter out in the next few weeks?
Might be more than you were looking for, but I have a class coming up on the 25th of this month.