• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Inc. clarifies to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome at Bass pro shops across USA!

zig-zag

imported post

I think that the next place should be Dicks Sporting goods, they even say (at the one i was in, in Westminster Co is that you even have to ask a manager if you can carry concealed in their store RIDICULOUS.sO HOW ABOUT STARTING THERE.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Perhaps the largest and most inconsistent of the big box stores is Wal-Mart.

One can shop there 15 times while OCing, then run into an ill-informed manager. Working your way up the food chain will likely get you a different answer at each level.

Next level for me is corporate/home office.

Yata hey

Michigander

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Wal Mart's one and only serious goal is to make money. Taking a look at what they sell, how they get it, and how they sell it, I think it's extremely clear that money is their ONLY concern.

If they ever decide we're costing them even a small amount of money, I bet they'll ban carry at all their stores.

autosurgeon

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

One can shop there 15 times while OCing, then run into an ill-informed manager. Working your way up the food chain will likely get you a different answer at each level.

Yata hey
I don't understand your problem... They have a very clear corporate policy to follow the law as in the state the store resides in.

If anyone is telling you different they are talking out their hind end... not that I am surprised that someone would do that mind you...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

I don't understand your problem... They have a very clear corporate policy to follow the law as in the state the store resides in.

If anyone is telling you different they are talking out their hind end... not that I am surprised that someone would do that mind you...
Their corporate policy, if it indeed does exist, is not well known by store managers, area mgr, regional mgr. in Virginia. Corporate has so far only referred my queries to the same lower level buffoons. Having received totally conflicting responses from these ascending level offices, my frustration is high.

Yata hey

SpringerXDacp

imported post

The consensus I'm getting from several gun forums is that most Wal-Mart stores do mirror state law. However, they will ask you to cover up or leave if a complaint is made.

sraacke

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
However, they will ask you to cover up or leave if a complaint is made.

What make me mad is they won't tell you who made the complaint so that I can countercomplain about them or something they are doing.

"Her? The lady wearing the pants suit?She's the one bitching about my gun? Well, I want to complain about her and that horrid purse she's carrying. Oh my God. It's repulsive. If I have to take my gun outside she has to take that tacky looking monstrosity out too. I can't believe you let someone in your store with something like that. I think I'm going to be sick."

SpringerXDacp

imported post

yale wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
However, they will ask you to cover up or leave if a complaint is made.

What make me mad is they won't tell you who made the complaint so that I can countercomplain about them or something they are doing.

"Her? The lady wearing the pants suit?She's the one bitching about my gun? Well, I want to complain about her and that horrid purse she's carrying. Oh my God. It's repulsive. If I have to take my gun outside she has to take that tacky looking monstrosity out too. I can't believe you let someone in your store with something like that. I think I'm going to be sick."

I suspect most of the "complaints" you hear from management or LP is just a line of bull$hit they made up to somehow justify approaching you and asking you to cover up and/or leave.

Walmart
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link: http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3

Other corporate policies can be found in the Michigan sub-forum in the Michigan Events Schedule Thread. Scroll down to OC Friendly Places.

sraacke

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Quit yer' whining............enough already.
I've seen some of the purses YOU carry, you may want to rethink that.
Those aren't purses I carry. Those are Bauer Bags. You wouldn'ttell Jack Bauer to quit whining would you? :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I suspect most of the "complaints" you hear from management or LP is just a line of bull$hit they made up to somehow justify approaching you and asking you to cover up and/or leave.

Walmart
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link: http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3

Other corporate policies can be found in the Michigan sub-forum in the Michigan Events Schedule Thread. Scroll down to OC Friendly Places.
Problem is that "following state" law permits them to ask/demand that you cover up or leave. On the other hand, corporate does not seem to care if local management strays from the party line or not - there is no consistency of this alleged corporate policy.

Yata hey

The audio is IMO entertaining but of no value in dealing with the problem.

deanf

imported post

Good job and thanks for the effort, OCDO.

Please tell me that before that news release went out, all typos and/or grammar errors were corrected . . . .

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Wal Mart's one and only serious goal is to make money. Taking a look at what they sell, how they get it, and how they sell it, I think it's extremely clear that money is their ONLY concern.

If they ever decide we're costing them even a small amount of money, I bet they'll ban carry at all their stores.
For their methods and means of doing business, I'd say DNP them anyway.

While the focus of this forum is OC, duh, I think, as an American, one has to boycott Wal Mart anyway. "Allowing" me to Oc there won't change the fact that they drag us all down to poverty level.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Grapeshot wrote: Wal Mart's one and only serious goal is to make money.

"Allowing" me to Oc there won't change the fact that they drag us all down to poverty level.
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here:

Indeed, as a private business in a capitalist system, their main interest IS in making money. What else should their primary goal be? If some individual or group starts costing them, they certainly have the right to refuse service or at least demand a concession from someone. This issue has been bandied about a lot over the years, and we all agree that a private business can determine whether they will allow OC or not. Don't get me wrong, I love it when a store publicly accepts or endorses OC, or even has a change of heart and decides to allow it, but we all know we have to leave if they decide not to allow it.

If we continue to OC in a responsible and mature manner, I don't think businesses will feel we are "costing" them. A dozen different restaurants in our area welcome us back these days because we give them lots of business and good tips. That shouldn't be any different for Wal-Mart. For what its worth, I've never been hassled in the Yorktown store.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
ixtow wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Grapeshot wrote: Wal Mart's one and only serious goal is to make money.

"Allowing" me to Oc there won't change the fact that they drag us all down to poverty level.
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here:

Indeed, as a private business in a capitalist system, their main interest IS in making money.  What else should their primary goal be?   If some individual or group starts costing them,  they certainly have the right to refuse service or at least demand a concession from someone.  This issue has been bandied about a lot over the years, and we all agree that a private business can determine whether they will allow OC or not.  Don't get me wrong, I love it when a store publicly accepts or endorses OC, or even has a change of heart and decides to allow it, but we all know we have to leave if they decide not to allow it. 

If we continue to OC in a responsible and mature manner, I don't think businesses will  feel we are "costing" them.  A dozen different restaurants in our area welcome us back these days because we give them lots of business and good tips.  That shouldn't be any different for Wal-Mart.  For what its worth, I've never been hassled in the Yorktown store.

i almost whipped out the strawman image, but I realize you aren't being a jerk.

I've no quarrel with a company making any call on the matter they like. I'm talking about my actions, and not giving my money to those I deem to be degenerates.

rpyne

imported post

thefirststrike wrote:
Do any of you folks in other states have a list of businesses who don't allow OC/CC? Here in Washington and Idaho, specifically in the Moscow/Pullman area, we local OC'ers keep a running list of "DNP" businesses (Do Not Patronize). We keep each other updated on places like TriState so that we can avoid them whenever possible.
A better method is to use http://friendorfoe.us so we can all know where to avoid as we travel around the country.

redlegagent

imported post

I was just at BassProShop a couple days ago buying a gun. They have a sign posted at the entrance that states all firearms must be checked at the front desk. I have concealed carry permit sothey didn't know but they walked me out when I made my purchase. Our local Gander Mountain has same sign except it also says that concealed carry permits are exempt. ;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

redlegagent wrote:
I was just at BassProShop a couple days ago buying a gun. They have a sign posted at the entrance that states all firearms must be checked at the front desk. I have concealed carry permit sothey didn't know but they walked me out when I made my purchase. Our local Gander Mountain has same sign except it also says that concealed carry permits are exempt. ;)
They are making new signs that are less confusing.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

The sign on the door of the Bass Pro in Mackinaw City says - guns or bows for service or repair need to be checked at the desk. So I went in with my XD on my hip to look around, went upstairs with two friends to watch my back and looked at the guns on display. After 8 or 10 min the counter guy says " hey pardner, you got to cover that up":banghead:. I tried to get out of him what his problem was and he indicated that " you are scaring customers in here":banghead::banghead:. Apparently they didn't get the memo in Mackinaw City. I was then told to leave, so I let my friends know that I was given the boot and made my way to the door. I stopped at the bow shop on the way out and had the guy there pull up the OCDO site on his computer. I showed him where the Info thread was, he said he would print up stuff from the Info thread to give to the guy at the gun counter. I know, I know I shudda had tri-folds with me but when I tried to print them before I left, my printer was out of ink. Best I can do now, I'll go back later CCing with my other friend OCing and see what happens. The guy at the bow shop was real friendly and not offended in the least about my method of carry and once outside my friend said that the bow guy told him that his dad sometimes carry's open:). More later.springerdave.