• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Inc. clarifies to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome at Bass pro shops across USA!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

[align=center] [/align]
[align=center]OpenCarry.org[/align]
[align=center]For Immediate Release – June 6, 2009[/b][/align]

[align=center]---[/b][/align]

[align=center]Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy – Open Carry Welcome![/b][/align]
OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, it’s better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, “psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, it’s the law” kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro’s policy is and “always was” to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

[align=center]###[/align]
Media Contacts:

OpenCarry.org co-founders:
John Pierce: JohnATOpenCarry.org
Mike Stollenwerk: MikeATOpencarry.org

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NOTE:eek:f course as we know, there will still be hiccups at Bass pro from time to time as they re-train - take it easy on the employees and remember than unlike government agencies, private actors have no duty to respect your gun rights, so report problems politely to management - customers have no right to argue or refuse to obey instructions to leave the premises even if the agents there are not following policy.

NightOwl

imported post

Awesome, great news!

I don't fish but I want to patronize them now. Hmm...maybe a hat or something. Ah well, I'll figure it out.

imported post

When three of us visited their Denham Springs,LA store, we realized the greeter wasn't up to speed on this recent change and we politely, quietly turned around and left.
My recent letter to BPS concerning a related matter has yet to be answered.
As soon as I hear something (or not), I will share it with ya'll.
We'll see just how OC they really are.

KBCraig

imported post

Thanks, Mike. I hope you asked for a follow-up in writing, preferably a signed PDF that can be easily printed out in case of disputes.

"A guy on the internet said he talked to some guy at your headquarters and said it's okay" really won't carry much weight.

TFred

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Awesome, great news!

I don't fish but I want to patronize them now. Hmm...maybe a hat or something. Ah well, I'll figure it out.
Not trying to give you a hard time, but I'm just curious, have you ever been in a Bass Pro Shops before? Just off the top of my head, I'm guessing less than 25% of the floor space is dedicated to fishing stuff... it's a "Toys R Us" for outdoors folks of all kinds!

It was a happy day when one opened about 25 miles from me!

:)

TFred

BulletProof

imported post

Way to go Mike! Definate one for the good guys!

see Mark... right ways and wrong ways.

Michigander

imported post

When I went to go shoot there for my CPL class, some idiot lady they had working there negligently pointed my gun at me while slapping a trigger lock on it and cable tying it into a case.

Being treated as incompetent by company policy, as well as having some idiot point my own gun at me, pissed me off enough to get me to boycott the place.

While I still prefer Cabelas, I suppose they've earned a chance at my business in the future.

thefirststrike

imported post

That's great news! Awesome! I also wasn't aware of the policies being adopted by Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas (both of which we have up north of me in Post Falls, between Spokane, WA and Couer Da'Lene ID). I guess I need to keep up on these things. Last I knew Cabelas was actually against it, I thought.

My local store in Moscow, Idaho, Tri-State Distributors, has banned it. Platitudes to the sheeple who have complained that it made them feel "uncomfortable". I fully intend to do most of my shopping up north at Cabelas and SW, even though it is not local and they tend to be more expensive. And then I will send copies of my receipts to the Tri State owner with a note about how I COULD have spent that money in his store if he supported my right to OC!! :)

Dave

bigz

imported post

Maybe we are on to something here. We may need to just pick one bussiness a week and flood them with emails and get mike to draw up a letter to email to each one of themrequesting they follow bps in allowing open carry. Or onesenator and rep. numbers speak volumes if we work together... Just a thought?

Bullbuster

imported post

This is GREAT NEWS!!! While I haven't had any issuesI know several have and even seen "NO OPEN CARRY" signs at the Hampton, VA Bass Pro. My last trip back in May following the VCDL picnic was a no issue OC experience.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Great news!

TFred wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
Not trying to give you a hard time, but I'm just curious, have you ever been in a Bass Pro Shops before? Just off the top of my head, I'm guessing less than 25% of the floor space is dedicated to fishing stuff... it's a "Toys R Us" for outdoors folks of all kinds!
Right, including ammo.

I've bought ammo there before, and likely will again (though as with everyone, they're having a hard time keeping shelves stocked in the common calibers).

:cool:

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

That is great news. I have given up spending my money at Bass Pro after there no OC rules at my local store. Now I'll gladly shop there, I have a gift card I need to use. I think I'll stop by the Auburn Hills store today. :celebrate

MSgt G

imported post

Sportsmans Warehouse in Chattanooga has a sign saying concealed carry is fine, but if you want to open carry it has to be unloaded and they'll put a lock or something similar (I don't remember the exact wording) on it.

What's the official stance since Sportsmans Warehouse was mentioned here?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MSgt G wrote:
Sportsmans Warehouse in Chattanooga has a sign saying concealed carry is fine, but if you want to open carry it has to be unloaded and they'll put a lock or something similar (I don't remember the exact wording) on it.

What's the official stance since Sportsmans Warehouse was mentioned here?

That is not their policy - most likley you are reading too much into the sign which pertains to guns brought in for refund, repair, etc.

Go open cary there.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigz wrote:
Maybe we are on to something here. We may need to just pick one bussiness a week and flood them with emails and get mike to draw up a letter to email to each one of themrequesting they follow bps in allowing open carry. Or onesenator and rep. numbers speak volumes if we work together... Just a thought?
It's a solid idea.

thefirststrike

imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
bigz wrote:
It's a solid idea.
The idea about flooding them with emails is a good one. Do any of you folks in other states have a list of businesses who don't allow OC/CC? Here in Washington and Idaho, specifically in the Moscow/Pullman area, we local OC'ers keep a running list of "DNP" businesses (Do Not Patronize). We keep each other updated on places like TriState so that we can avoid them whenever possible.

We just happen to be lucky to have many businesses that don't ever seem to have a problem or say anything. I have been OC'ing regularly for almost a year in both Moscow, ID and Pullman WA, and my credit union and TriState are the only places I have had issues. I OC all the time in the local grocery store, Walmart, the movie theatre, gas stations and elsewhere around town.

I don't think trying to get government representatives involved is the answer. As it has been mentioned in this forum, in many other threads, places like BPS, SW and Cabelas, TriState, and anywhere else you can think of (restaurants, stores etc) are private property and they can make whatever rules they want about activities like OC. They can choose to support or not support the laws. But they are not in any way violating your Constitutional rights because the Constitution does not protect your rights from private people or entities, only government.

The best way to affect change in private businesses is through their bank balance. Don't do business in any place that won't let you OC or CC. Boycott them, send letters and emails, send copies of receipts from other stores, letting them know that you COULD have spent that money in THEIR store instead. Private businesses are best affected by hurting their bottom line.

Dave