• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIFLES... Can you CC one in VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I have a CHP, even though I usually OC everwhere I go.

Can I CC a rifle in my vehicle? I've read Section 18.2-287.4 and how it applies to cities of populations of at least 160,000 people, etc and does not apply to CHP holders.

It says nothing about a CONCEALED long gun. The CHP also saysnothing about rifles or shotguns, either.

I wonder becausesometimeswhenI travel around the state, I would like to have a bit more firepower available than the just my .45 cal pistol and a couple extra magazines.

I know Virginialaw USUALLY says if it isn'tspecifically prohibited, it is allowed; but Ihave no clue how they feel about rifles hidden from view insomething that is not obviously a rifle case.

Sorry this isn't an OC issue or even a pistol issue, but I don't know any other Scholars of Virginia Law like there are available on here...

wylde007

imported post

If you are capable of "concealing" a long gun then you are sufficiently a ninja or you have modified it somehow else illegally (sawed-off).

Now that I read it again, I'm not sure I understand the question at all and rescind my initial comment about the CHP.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Not Ninja style... A WASR 10/63 (AK-47 clone) fits very nicely with room to spare in one of those folding chair bags, even with a 30-round magazine inserted!

TFred

imported post

While it would be quite a feat to conceal a long gun within one's clothing, don't forget that the "concealed" status generally applies to handguns that are within reach inside a car as well. I suspect that is the nature of the question at hand.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Yes, that would be the point. More specifially: An AK-type rifle "hidden" from common view located inside a folding chair bagin the back seat of a car. I don't think the need to use it would ever arise, but you never know when you're on the road and the feces REALLY hits the rotating oscillator and someone is "going to work" on traffic or a large area using a long gun. You wouldn't feel very comfortable with your pistol out if a BG is 50 yards away doing BG stuff with a rifle.

Just a thought. I've been reading a lot of stuff lately, and not all of it involved the wearing of "tin-foil hats".

wylde007

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
...and someone is "going to work" on traffic or a large area using a long gun. You wouldn't feel very comfortable with your pistol out if a BG is 50 yards away doing BG stuff with a rifle.
Just ask the North Hollywood LEOs who faced-off against Phillips and Matasareanu.

Just a thought. I've been reading a lot of stuff lately, and not all of it involved the wearing of "tin-foil hats".
Dude, there's a lot of people thinking a lot of "tin foil hat" type things today that five years ago would have been grounds for committal. Nowadays they're the fringe guys, not even on the weird radar.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of 'em.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

You cannot legally conceal a rifle or shotgun in VA. If it is within your reach, it must be visible or encased in a gun case. CHP does not protect you from a concealed weapon charge for anything but handguns.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Phillip:

Can a loaded magazine for said rifle be readily accessable if the rifle is visible?
You bet. And that is the way to do it if you plan on that rifle being used for self-defense.

Although by state law you can have a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, there are exceptions based on local laws and hunting laws and guns loaded with magazines that will hold MORE than 20 rounds in some large cities. My advice, keep in mind I am NOT a lawyer, is to keep the rifle or shotgun unloaded, in plain sight with a magazine or ammo nearby. If you decide to keep the gun out of reach (say in the trunk), I would still advise that you keep in unloaded.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Phillip:

Can a loaded magazine for said rifle be readily accessable if the rifle is visible?
You bet. And that is the way to do it if you plan on that rifle being used for self-defense.

Although by state law you can have a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, there are exceptions based on local laws and hunting laws and guns loaded with magazines that will hold MORE than 20 rounds in some large cities. My advice, keep in mind I am NOT a lawyer, is to keep the rifle or shotgun unloaded, in plain sight with a magazine or ammo nearby. If you decide to keep the gun out of reach (say in the trunk), I would still advise that you keep in unloaded.

Thank you once again, Mr. Van Cleave. I did read that particular paragraph several times and understand that my CHP DOES allow me to have a magazine larger than 20 rounds in those large cities. "The prohibition against carrying these loaded firearms does not apply to ... CHP holders"

I plan to keep it in a NON-descript case (the folding chair bag) because I will be exiting the vehicle from time to time and don't want a rifle case visible to those walking by the vehicle. That just screams "STEAL ME" while the nylon folding chair bag sittingin the back along with a folding picnic table and other innocent looking items just looks like household "junk" that wouldn't interest the average BG walking down the street...

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Phillip:

Thank you once again, Mr. Van Cleave. I did read that particular paragraph several times and understand that my CHP DOES allow me to have a magazine larger than 20 rounds in those large cities. "The prohibition against carrying these loaded firearms does not apply to ... CHP holders"

I plan to keep it in a NON-descript case (the folding chair bag) because I will be exiting the vehicle from time to time and don't want a rifle case visible to those walking by the vehicle. That just screams "STEAL ME" while the nylon folding chair bag sittingin the back along with a folding picnic table and other innocent looking items just looks like household "junk" that wouldn't interest the average BG walking down the street...
Just don't have it in that folding bag within reach. It must be out of reach if concealed.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Phillip:

Just don't have it in that folding bag within reach. It must be out of reach if concealed.

Thank You, Sir!

MSC

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No offense to Philip, but y'all realize you are taking verbal information about the law without cites.

Presidents who visit infrequently wouldn't be expected to know the OCDO rules on citing authority--statutes, case law, legal bulletins, etc.

Y'all should be 'shamed o' yo'selves, leadin' the President into breakin' the rules like that.

:)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thank you Citizen, you are correct. Phillip is actually citing my original post about the 20-round magazine and the size of cities and how it doesn't apply to CHP holders. {Sec 18.2-287.4}

I still can't find a specific law that prohibits concealing a loaded rifle. The site above doesn't apply to CHP holders.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
SNIP I still can't find a specific law that prohibits concealing a loaded rifle. The site above doesn't apply to CHP holders.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot,...

Generally speaking, 18.2-308, makes all concealed weapons illegal, then goes on to give the exceptions. One exception being, of course, the Concealed Handgun Permit.

nova

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
hsmith wrote:
While I hate them, what about a AR/AK pistol?
If it's legally a pistol, then your CHP covers it.
finally...a practical use for these AK and AR "pistols" besides blasting money away downrange!
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.