• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New police chief D.P.D.

bb

imported post

U all think it will be easier now to oc in detroit since the new chief was head of wayne county sherif.

also maybe venator send him the info on oc that u send to all the other departments

Michigander

imported post

There is a hell of a lot to what's wrong with Detroit, and even if this new gentleman is a great guy who sets out to help us, there could still obviously be problems.

I don't need to elaborate on the historically bad reputation the DPD has, nor do I need to elaborate on how many problems with gangs, poverty and drugs Detroit has. It is, without question, the biggest obstacle facing open carrying in Michigan.

Veritas

imported post

Detroit faces the unfortunate burden of heavy politics. Remember Archer? The shining light of Detroit... and he gave up because of the political regime.

What Detroit NEEDS is for the State to come in and clean house. And I mean clean house. The problem is, right now, is that we can transplant any viable organ... but the body rejects it. Detroit needs a complete transfusion... all that old blood needs to go so we can get some fresh in there.

I'm so irritated by the fact that there seems to be hesitation on the part of the State to get involved. I understand that Detroit is its own city... and that, ordinarily, cities ought to be free to govern themselves. But in the case of Detroit, it's extremely obvious that they are incapable of governing themselves without running into ethical issues. Because Detroit impacts her surrounding communities so much, the State needs to step in and help us ALL out.

As long as Detroit impacts other communities, we (the surrounding cities) have every right to demand this. I'm not happy about water rates going up (we get our water from Detroit), then finding out that Detroit DPS (water works) employees are screwing around and wasting money. Until Detroit cleans their act up, or until they abolish that BS system of taxing your income for working in the city, I will NEVER work in Detroit. If I were ever compelled to, I'd flatly refuse to pay city income tax. I think that's a bunch of crap... taxing someone without giving them a right to vote.

Michigander

imported post

Veritas wrote:
What Detroit NEEDS is for the State to come in and clean house. And I mean clean house.
Detroit has its huge number of problems, but the state is not exactly well run. In Detroit specifically, this was proven when the state came in and started taking over schools that didn't do well enough on the insanely corrupt and twisted MEAP tests.

This state is a bureaucratic mess that wastes huge amounts of time and larger amounts of money. Here and there you'll find good programs, but it would be difficult to make a list of any large size of things the state does well on any wide scale.

You can point out all day long that the state is in better shape than Detroit, but when you mix partial stupidity with massive stupidity, you still don't get much done.

The bottom line on that is that Detroit is probably beyond help.

This all puts us in a really precarious and important position. We have the weight of law on our side, and seemingly against us is the DPD, a department widely regarded as hugely criminal and generally lawless.

With the law on our side, we have the potential to really clean up the way the Detroit police handle Terry stops. This is important, because time and time again people I know in Detroit have claimed to me they were unlawfully detained. But on the other hand, Detroit is historically prone to going on smear campaigns against gun ownership, and it's my opinion that if we piss them off bad enough, and the media goes along with it, they could potentially convince Lansing to ban open carry, or at least regulate it more.

So the point of my rant, is that we all need to think very carefully, and watch ourselves if and when we OC in Detroit. It's nearly like another country, and it can be very dangerous for a multitude of reasons. :uhoh:

Veritas

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Detroit has its huge number of problems, but the state is not exactly well run.
Understood. However, I believe it has less to do with running it well and more to do with running it with less corruption.

Detroit needs a third party to come in and put an end to it. We've seen, time and time again, that when a single figure steps into Detroit's bureaucratic underbelly, that they are quickly washed out by the political clique. The State, while not the best managed entity in the country, could at least add impartiality to one-sided Detroit politics.

I'd love to see a large suburban community do it... but only the State has that power. So it becomes a necessary evil. And when faced with leaving Detroit as is, it becomes the lesser of two evils.