• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best type of holster for concealed carry on the job?

Aaron1124

imported post

What type of holster would you suggest for concealed carry while on the job? Preferably a holster that isn't going to drop your pistol with vigorous movement, and one that isn't going to be exposed if your shirt rises up a bit. I'm specifically asking for a Ruger P95

Michigander

imported post

What do you do at work? What type of clothing do you wear while at work? How concerned are you with printing? How much do you want to spend?

If you have big pockets and can get away with printing a little, you might be able to get away with carrying in a side pocket, with an empty chamber for safety reasons. I've carried this way at work a couple times now with my similarly sized Sig, and it seems to work decently.

If you really need deep concealment, a well made and well fit shoulder holster could suffice, even under just a t shirt.

I'd probably try to stay away from IWB or OWB holsters if your shirt coming up slightly concerns you.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
What type of holster would you suggest for concealed carry while on the job? Preferably a holster that isn't going to drop your pistol with vigorous movement, and one that isn't going to be exposed if your shirt rises up a bit. I'm specifically asking for a Ruger P95

http://ravenconcealment.com/

why are you trying to conceal a p95? I'ts kinda big.

Ironbar

imported post

I'm a huge fan of the Super-Tuck Deluxe holster from Crossbreed. It's a leather/kdex hybrid holster that is SO comfortable!

If you're wearing for work then I'd opt for the hosehide model. It's about $15.00 extra, but worth it for all day comfort. I love mine big time!

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

rmansu2

imported post

I have had the same problem. The only tight fitting holsters I have found for the P95 is a generic nylon and the Fobus holsters. The only problem is neither are great for conceal carry. I have never tried a generic IWB holster but unless your 8' tall and 400lbs, pocket carry is out. I like my Fobus paddle holster. It works fine in most of my day to day carry, conceal and open. But if you will be doing lifting or raising your arms over your head, its not a high ride holster so it will more than likely show.

ev239

imported post

Yes, a Ruger P95's a good sized chuck of gun, but it can be fairly easily carried concealed.

Michigander asked some key questions. If you work in an office setting and must wear business suits than you might want to use something completely different than if you worked construction and sported a hard hat all day. Unless you're wearing overalls with monster pockets I don't see how you would get away with pocket carrying the Ruger. For as heavy as it is I would first opt for belt carry with an actual gun belt, specifically IWB to maximize concealability. In an office setting where tucked shirts are required then you'll want a belt holster that is tuckable. If you tend to wear a jacket all the time then a shoulder holster is an option. Belly bands are more for compact & subcompact guns since it's easier for it to support their lighter weight, but there is an option called a Kangaroo holster which is a belly band with a strap over your shoulder to help support the weight of the firearm (http://www.deepconceal.com/). You would wear it underneath your shirt. Some might suggest a Smartcarry (basically an inside the pants fanny pouch that holds the gun on top of your privates), but again with a gun your size I don't think it would conceal very well or be very comfortable.

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck with my Sig P239 and it conceals well and in addition is very comfortable. Here is a review I wrote about it a while back - http://hiddendefense.blogspot.com/2007/09/crossbreed-extensive-review-comparison.html Comfort is one of those things that is lacking in many IWB holsters, but Crossbreed uses a large piece of leather between you & your gun that isolates any jabbing or poking. There are other IWB options that would probably work as well. Find folks that conceal carry a P95 and ask how they do it.

You must be dedicated to CCW and always keep in mind why you're doing it.

230therapy

Michigander

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
The only problem is neither are great for conceal carry. I have never tried a generic IWB holster but unless your 8' tall and 400lbs, pocket carry is out..
I weigh 175 ish, and I'man inch or 2 shy of 6 feet. I carried my P220 in my pocket while working today. With sufficiently large pockets, and ifsome printing is okay, it works just fine.

Flintlock

imported post

spindoctor wrote:
I use the Comfort Holster, when I work. It is great for sitting or bending. When I ride my horses, the holster keeps my gun handy and out of the way of my legs.

http://www.comfortholster.com
It might be comfortable but it would sweep everyone around you if you wore it like it is shown in the photos.

Rule #2

Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to destroy.

Hendu024

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
spindoctor wrote:
I use the Comfort Holster, when I work. It is great for sitting or bending. When I ride my horses, the holster keeps my gun handy and out of the way of my legs.

It might be comfortable but it would sweep everyone around you if you wore it like it is shown in the photos.

Rule #2

Maybe you should tell that to plain clothes detectives and other people who use a shoulder holster then.

Flintlock

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
spindoctor wrote:

Rule #2

Maybe you should tell that to plain clothes detectives and other people who use a shoulder holster then.
I do. ;)

Regular_Joe

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

http://ravenconcealment.com/

why are you trying to conceal a p95? I'ts kinda big.
I hadn't checked out the Raven products before. I like the Phantom for my S&W M&P because I could go swap between IWB and OWB. Do you recommend the J-hooks, C-hooks, or softloops?

Dreamer

imported post

I carry a full-size 1911 double-stack (Para Ordnance S-14.45) all day, in a Galco IWB soft leather holster with a thumb break in the 3:00 position, with a little bit of a cant. It's comfy, and it has very little print if I wear the right shirt, untucked. With a heavy cotton twill or oxford shirt it's barely visible. Under a flannel shirt, it's practically invisible.

I'm 5"11, and weight about 170#.

Big guns CAN be CC's successfully by skinny guys. You just need to dress appropriately.

If your job won't allow for an untucked shirt, or you wear knits (like a polo shirt) then you might consider the Crossbreed or Tucker rigs. They are very popular and seem to offer relatively deep concealment without sacrificing quick accessability like other "deep cover" solutions like a "belly band".