• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy I came across thinks carrying shotguns is legal

Aaron1124

imported post

So a few months back, I had just gotten off work in Federal Way, and I happened to run in to a man hanging outside of the mall area. I was working as a security officer at the time, and was in uniform. The man started casually talking about security work, and how he was a bouncer at some club, and he always brought his Hi Point .45 to work with him. He then started complaining about Washington State gun laws, saying that he thinks it's ridiculous how you can carry a pistol openly without any sort of license, but as soon as you conceal it, you need to be licensed to carry it that way.. and here's the funny part... he said "I also think it's pretty ridiculous that I need a license to conceal a pistol, but if I want, I can walk around in public carrying a loaded shotgun in my hands, out in the open"

I just sort of laughed to myself, not wanting to get into an argument about how oblivious the guy was. I thought to myself "I wonder how long this guy would be walking around carrying a shotgun before 50 police officer draw down on him"

G27

imported post

Technically you could legally open carry a long gun. Whether or not someone actually wants to try this is a different story. More power to you if you do.

Aaron1124

imported post

That would probably be pretty stupid.

Some laws don't click in my mind. You can open carry a long gun, but you can't have a loaded long gun in your vehicle?

You can open carry a loaded pistol, but you can't have a loaded pistol in your vehicle without a CPL?

Does anyone understand the logic behind this?

Aaron1124

imported post

Can't police officer consider OCing a long gun to be an intent to intimidate others? It's not like you can holster a long gun, so unless you're carrying it strapped in your open trench coat, I don't really see a way you can carry it that WOULDN'T be considered "alarming", ya know?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

First off "alarming" isn't the issue. What is alarming to one person isn't to another, which is why the law is written to say "intent to intimidate another". Merely carrying a long arm strapped across your back, or carried in a non threatening (i.e., not ready to use, and not aggressively handled) would technically fly. I'm not keen to walk through downtown Seattle, or even Olympia trying this one out though. It's really not worth the effort in most places. I suppose if you lived in a rural middle of nowhere good ol' boy small town it might fly.

Aaron1124

imported post

Well hell, I've seen people walking around with swords on a sheath strapped to their back. I've heard police say as long as he isn't threatening anyone with it, then he's free to do so in public.

G27

imported post

Again, let's not forget that the first case to really pave the way for open carry in Washington State was State vs. Casad.

Gregory Cassad was a case in which the state affirmed that a citizen carrying a firearm in the open in itself did not warrant alarm and was not just in a terry stop. The fact that he was a felon and not eligiable to own guns was irrelevant because there was not legal justification for the stop which in turn would have never turned up that he couldn't own/carry firearms. The charges against him were thrown out.

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/legal/State_v_Casad_(unpublished).pdf

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

G27 wrote:
Again, let's not forget that the first case to really pave the way for open carry in Washington State was State vs. Casad.

Gregory Cassad was a case in which the state affirmed that a citizen carrying a firearm in the open in itself did not warrant alarm and was not just in a terry stop. The fact that he was a felon and not eligiable to own guns was irrelevant because there was not legal justification for the stop which in turn would have never turned up that he couldn't own/carry firearms. The charges against him were thrown out.

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/legal/State_v_Casad_(unpublished).pdf
Casad. Is. Unpublished. It paved the way for nothing except a bunch of internet chatter about how wonderful a ruling it is. OC has been legal in this state for a very long time. Ask Gray Peterson, or dig around for his very early posts on the matter. He's done all the really dirty work digging around on the history of OC legislation in Washington.

G27

imported post

Just because something is unpublished doesn't mean that it holds no weight.

Also, I haven't seen or heard from Gray Patterson/Lonnie in forever. Where is he hiding? Does he even read these boards anymore?

n16ht5

imported post

my friend has a gun rack on his Honda trail 90 that he uses as he drives through town with his 12ga. And I followon my old bike with my Saiga12 on my back and glock on my hip. :p

but then again, its Arlington

Cremator75

imported post

This is a perfectly good holster for OC'ing your shotty.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/firepower.htm
firepower.htm

firepower.jpg
juan_a.jpg
juan_b.jpg

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I think I could stuff my 18" Winchester 1300 Defender in there just fine with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock. I'm 6'9" so the extra couple of inches on the shottie shouldn't bug me:D