• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading same bullet

Hillmann

imported post

For those of you who own semi autos for OC how many times to you load and unload the first bullet in the clip before youreplace it with afresh one. With not being able to carry in a car it would be easy to have to reload three or four times a day, and reloading that same bullet multipul times can't be good for it. The two problems that I am wondering about are the bullet being seated to deeply in the case by repeadely being rechambered and lead being scraped off by the ramp.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If the cartridge has the correct neck tension and/or a proper crimp it shouldn't push back into the case unless your firearm has a bad or poorly designedfeed ramp. You may still get some scratching and distortion of the bullet itself though.

I know my semi-auto hunting rifles are notorious for"eating" a bullet after being slammed into battery ten or so times. The copperjacket can getprettygouged up soI just switch the damaged ones out and shoot them at the range later.

As far as pistols go, my 1911 doesn't seem to mar the bullets at all if I'm using the heavier hollow points as they have a nice smooth radius that makes contact with the feed ramps. With some of the more conical shapedhollow points, it does get a little mashed up over time. I haven't fired any hollow points out of my HK 357 sig, or Beretta 96Fyet so I don't know how they treat them.

RugerMan

imported post

I carry an extra round to keep in the chamber, so my mag is maxed out at 8, and I have the extra in the chamber ready to roll, giving me 9 rounds. (of .45 acp) By doing this, I actually switch back and forth between the two rounds every time I reload. I rack the slide, feeding the top round, then replace it with the one that was chambered my previous carry. This shares the wear and tear between the two so I have to replace them less often.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have been inspecting my rounds and don't notice anything of range to be concerned with. From time to time I do remove all of the rounds and put the old top round on the bottom, just because I heard of this issue in the past.

I'm currently using 9mm CCI hollow points in a Glock G19 until I can find some hollow point bullets and work up a reload in .40 cal. for my G23.

comp45acp

imported post

Doug is on the right track here, you need to mike the round you run in and out of the chamber so you know when it begins to get shorter. The amount of rechamberings that it takes for that to happen is going to vary depending on feed ramp angle and bullet design of individual guns and rounds.

I alway re-chamber the same round. He is why-you want to isolate any overall length changes to one round. If if you cycle a round that has been re-chambered to the bottom of the magazine or even the 2nd round you may end up with a failure to feed jam if that round has gotten shorter from repeated re-chambering.

I reload so when a round begins to get shorter I just tap it back out with an inertia bullet puller and then reseat it to the correct depth and re-crimp it. If you don't have the means to that just measure it and when it begins to get short fire that round at your next range session and begin the process on a new round.

smithman

imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
I carry in Condition 3 now. Got sick of constantly putting one in the tube and then reloading the 15th 10mm round back into the clip.
I got sick of rechambering my pistol. Now I carry my .357 and I am happy as can be. One of the advantages to a wheelgun!

Woodchuck

imported post

smithman wrote:
Woodchuck wrote:
I carry in Condition 3 now. Got sick of constantly putting one in the tube and then reloading the 15th 10mm round back into the clip.
I got sick of rechambering my pistol.  Now I carry my .357 and I am happy as can be.  One of the advantages to a wheelgun!

I haven't carried my 357, guess I'm not real fond of the holster........don't know. Gonna have to break it out someday.

Rick Finsta

imported post

I used to switch the round I was chambering in my USP .45 to the bottom of the magazine every week or so, but then I went back and mic'd the entire mag, and they were all dangerously short (I had them "in service" for well over a year - I should probably replace my carry cartridges every 6 months or so). I will be pulling them and reseating them to proper OAL whenever Cabela's finally has .45 ACP dies in stock.

In the meantime, I have taken to carrying in condition 3, and I started practicing the Isreali draw/rack/fire technique at the range, and with dry-drawing practice at home.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
I used to switch the round I was chambering in my USP .45 to the bottom of the magazine every week or so, but then I went back and mic'd the entire mag, and they were all dangerously short (I had them "in service" for well over a year - I should probably replace my carry cartridges every 6 months or so). I will be pulling them and reseating them to proper OAL whenever Cabela's finally has .45 ACP dies in stock.

I was at Cabelas on Friday, they had .45 ACP dies on the shelves,I know they had LEE dies, but I do not know about other brands.they also hadloaded ammuntion in all popular handgun calibers.
I picked up dies for my .40 S&W right away. The did not have any decent projectiles for .40 though. And of course no primers either. I have a decent supply of large pistol primers on hand, but no smalls.

BTW, I have 200 rounds of once fired .41 Rem-Mag cases that were cleaned, sized & primed, ready for charging and seating. Any offers?
I sold the gun they were used in (Desert Eagle .41 Mag) and I also have the dies too.