• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained at Pick N Save

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I spoke to that AM at Pick in Pewaukee again today. I told him about what's been happening at some of the other Picks and asked if there was an official policy regarding firearms. He told me that he had not seen one but doesn't have an issue with people carrying. He seems like a very reasonable and level-headed guy. Need more people in retail like him.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smithman wrote:
I have been OCing every week at the Pick n Save on Sunset in Waukesha for months. I have yet to be approached by anybody, including LEOs, managers, or even just one customer.
I'm been doing the same at a different Pick 'n Save in Racine, however, if they do implement a policy I will be taking my business elsewhere. I informed them of that in my email, and also to the manager in the other Racine store that asked springfield1911 to leave.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I placed a second call to the VP of retail ops at roundy's yesterday. I understand he was in meetings all day, but am not really about to sit around and wait for a response.

Here is what we KNOW. Member have been asked to leave at least 2 pick n save stores. Since we don't know if this is a company policy, or just a specific "manager with their head in the sand" isolated incedent, I think at this point our best bet is to demonstrate outside of only stores with these rogue managers. (until we hear otherwise)

I am also interested in demonstrating outside of the Sentry stores in Racine that posted no-firearm signs. We need to send a clear and impactful message to these stores that their policy is pro-criminal, anti-law-abiding-citizen.

I comp45 mentioned that the store in watertown isn't a good location to demonstrate because of no public sidewalk. Can anyone confirm if the store in Racine where springfield1911 was asked to leave is outside of a school zone, but has a public sidewalk we could show a presence on?

100 guys politely demonstrating with signs that briefly and logically state what a poor criminal-empowering policy these stores have would make EVERY news channel and send a pre-emptive message to other stores that pro-criminal policies will net them REALLY bad PR. No one ever walked out of a store I've been in because I was OC'ing. But these pro-criminal gun policies would SURELY cost stores OUR business and very very likely cost them the business of other pro-rights people who don't open carry but support rights of law-abiding citizens.

Wisconsin is a very pro-gun state. Even those who chose not to open carry would STRONGLY support the right of others to do so. Wisconsin is a state of a significant sportsman/hunter population. We'd get a good response.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I agree the best option is to picket.

Check with the local planning commisioner and find out if so many feet from the center line of the road is right away and considered public property. Then you won't have to worry about side walks.

Also use Google earth and find out if you are within the school zones. It has a ruler tool and is very accurate. You can also highlight the schools to see where they are.

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

It would appear that there are side walks and the Watertown store is outside the School Zone.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the store in Racine where springfield1911 was asked to leave is outside of a school zone, but has a public sidewalk we could show a presence on?
It is outside of any school zone, there is sidewalk out front, and it on a VERY busy intersection!!!

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There isn't any sidewalks outside of the Sentry store, however, there is a center median.

When I google the area it says there is a Christ Church Christian School right on the corner down the street. As far as I know that corner is an old movie theater, but I will go and take a look at the area if I get a chance today.

I will have to confirm before we do anything there.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Actually, there are awesome sidewalks at both locations and loads of traffic. Both are outside of the school zones.

If you go on Google earth you can check out the street view and see the location as if you were standing there.

I love Google earth!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is my response from Sentry Foods:

Civil Rights‏ From:
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk Sent: Thu 7/09/09 11:41 AM To: j.gleason@hotmail.com
Code:
James,

I am sorry you can't understand the purpose of our policy.

We want to provide a safe, non-threatening shopping environment to all of our customers and that has nothing to do with yours, mine or any other Americans rights under the constitution. In fact, we are simply exercising our rights which should warrant some appreciation.

You will continue to have your rights, and the fact that we prohibit weapons in our store will not change this.

We will not be revising our policy as we believe most reasonable people fully understand what we are trying to accomplish - the Safety and Comfort of our Customers, nothing else.

We'll leave the political agenda to others. We just want to serve our customers.

Sincerely,

Greg Schilz
General Manager

Albrecht Foods, Inc.

Picket time!!!!!

protias

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Here is my response from Sentry Foods:

Civil Rights‏ From:
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk Sent: Thu 7/09/09 11:41 AM To: j.gleason@hotmail.com
Code:
James,

I am sorry you can't understand the purpose of our policy.

We want to provide a safe, non-threatening shopping environment to all of our customers and that has nothing to do with yours, mine or any other Americans rights under the constitution. In fact, we are simply exercising our rights which should warrant some appreciation.

You will continue to have your rights, and the fact that we prohibit weapons in our store will not change this.

We will not be revising our policy as we believe most reasonable people fully understand what we are trying to accomplish - the Safety and Comfort of our Customers, nothing else.

We'll leave the political agenda to others. We just want to serve our customers.

Sincerely,

Greg Schilz
General Manager

Albrecht Foods, Inc.

Picket time!!!!!
Sign me up!

comp45acp

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Check with the local planning commisioner and find out if so many feet from the center line of the road is right away and considered public property. Then you won't have to worry about side walks.

Also use Google earth and find out if you are within the school zones. It has a ruler tool and is very accurate. You can also highlight the schools to see where they are.

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

It would appear that there are side walks and the Watertown store is outside the School Zone.

There are no sidewalks outside of the Watertown store. You walk out of the store into their parking lot. Then there is a road that runs between Pick N Save's parking lot and Shopko's parking lot. The nearest sidewalk is along Church St. (Hwy. 26).

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

comp45acp wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

There are no sidewalks outside of the Watertown store. You walk out of the store into their parking lot. Then there is a road that runs between Pick N Save's parking lot and Shopko's parking lot. The nearest sidewalk is along Church St. (Hwy. 26).
Looks like a Side walk to me.

comp45acp

imported post

Yes, that is the sidewalk along Hwy. 26. It runs in front of a bank, McDonalds, a family restaurant, Sherwin Williams paint store-but not in front of Pick N Save.

GJD

imported post

I was detained at a Pick N Save in Kenosha last year and threatened with arrest for disorderly conduct. I quit going to that store and now OC in other stores - haven't had another incident since.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

That is the entrance for the store. That is all that matters. If the other stores do not allow Open carry then they will get the message as well.

We can also make picket signs that refer to Pick-n-Save.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We kind of have two threads going now about the same subject. Might consider a new thread for "Organizing the picket"

Mugenlude wrote:
He said that he had women in the store who were scared by seeing people open carrying a firearm, he doesn't want to lose business because of that.
What if I got scared by seeing a priest, rabbi, Hindu, or Muslim in his store, would he post signs stating all of the above are not allowed either?

What about guys with tattoos, would he post a sign telling them they are not welcome either?

These are the questions this manager needs to address. If our freedom of expression is voided in his establishment, then so too must all freedoms of expression.

This business is using a "bully" tactic against law abiding citizens, my vote is payment in kind.

Post the date(s) for the picketing, strike while the iron is hot, I will travel from "west coast" Wisconsin, and let the chips fall where they may.

Carry On

Phssthpok

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
That is the entrance for the store. That is all that matters. If the other stores do not allow Open carry then they will get the message as well.

We can also make picket signs that refer to Pick-n-Save.

Something like
Pick-n-save wants to Pick-n-choose your rights!

:question:

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
We kind of have two threads going now about the same subject. Might consider a new thread for "Organizing the picket"

Mugenlude wrote:
He said that he had women in the store who were scared by seeing people open carrying a firearm, he doesn't want to lose business because of that.
Yes, we have a cross post going on... please see this thread regarding Sentry, they have decided to take down their signs. :celebrate