• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Open Records Law

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dls/2008-PRCO/2008_Pub_Rec_Outline.pdf

[align=left]Interesting notes:[/align]

[align=left]Requests do not have to be in writing
. Wis. Stat. § 19.35(1)(h).[/align]

[align=left]B.
The requester generally does not have to identify himself or herself. Wis. Stat.[/align]

[align=left]§ 19.35(1)(i).
Caution: Certain substantive statutes, such as those concerning[/align]

[align=left]student records and health records, may restrict record access to specified persons.[/align]

[align=left]When records of that nature are the subject of a public records request, the custodian[/align]

[align=left]should confirm before releasing the records that the requester is someone statutorily[/align]

[align=left]authorized to obtain the requested records.
See Wis. Stat. § 19.35(1)(i) for other[/align]

[align=left]limited circumstances in which a requester may be required to show identification.[/align]

[align=left]C.
The requester does not need to state the purpose of the request. Wis. Stat.[/align]

[align=left]§ 19.35(1)(h) and (i).[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]“Magic words” are not required.[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]1. A request which reasonably describes the information or record requested is[/align]

[align=left]sufficient. Wis. Stat. § 19.35(1)(h).[/align]

[align=left]2. A request, reasonably construed, triggers the statutory requirement to[/align]

[align=left]respond. For example, a request made under the “Freedom of Information[/align]

[align=left]Act” should be interpreted as being made under Wisconsin public records[/align]

[align=left]law.
See ECO, Inc. v. City of Elkhorn, 2002 WI App 302, ¶ 23,[/align]

[align=left]259 Wis. 2d 276, ¶ 23, 655 N.W.2d 510, ¶ 23.[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]VII. The Response to the Request.[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]A.
Mandatory. The custodian must respond to a public records request. ECO, 2002[/align]

[align=left]WI App 302, ¶¶ 13-14, 259 Wis. 2d 276, ¶¶ 13-14, 655 N.W.2d 510, ¶¶ 13-14.[/align]
[align=left]- 13 -[/align]
[align=left]B.
Timing. Response must be provided “as soon as practicable and without delay.”[/align]
[align=left]Wis. Stat. § 19.35(4)(a).[/align]
[align=left]1. The public records law does not require response within any specific time,[/align]
[align=left]such as “two weeks” or “48 hours.”[/align]
[align=left]2. DOJ policy is that ten working days is generally a reasonable time for[/align]
[align=left]response responding to a simple request for a limited number of easily[/align]
[align=left]identifiable records. For requests that are broader in scope, or that require[/align]
[align=left]location, review or redaction of many documents, a reasonable time for[/align]
[align=left]responding may be longer. However, if a response cannot be provided[/align]
[align=left]within ten working days, it is DOJ’s practice to send a communication[/align]
[align=left]indicating that a response is being prepared.[/align]
[align=left]3. What constitutes a reasonable time for a response to any specific request[/align]
[align=left]depends on the nature of the request, the staff and other resources[/align]
[align=left]available to the authority to process the request, the extent of the request,[/align]
[align=left]and related considerations. Whether an authority is acting with reasonable[/align]
[align=left]diligence in responding to a particular request will depend on the totalityof circumstances surrounding that request.
WIREdata II, 2008 WI 69,[/align]
[align=left]¶ 56, ___ Wis. 2d ___, ¶ 56, 751 N.W.2d 736, ¶ 56.[/align]
[align=left]4. Requests for public records should be given high priority.[/align]
[align=left]5. Compliance at some unspecified future time is not authorized by the[/align]
[align=left]public records law. The custodian has two choices: comply or deny.[/align]
[align=left]
WTMJ, Inc. v. Sullivan, 204 Wis. 2d 452, 457-58, 555 N.W.2d 140, 142[/align]
[align=left](Ct. App. 1996).[/align]
[align=left]6. An authority should not be subjected to the burden and expense of a[/align]
[align=left]premature public records lawsuit while it is attempting in good faith to[/align]
[align=left]respond, or to determine how to respond, to a public records request.[/align]
[align=left]
WIREdata II, 2008 WI 69, ¶ 56, ___ Wis. 2d ___, ¶ 56, 751 N.W.2d 736,[/align]
[align=left]¶ 56.[/align]
[align=left]7. An arbitrary and capricious delay or denial exposes the custodian to punitive[/align]
[align=left]damages and a $1,000.00 forfeiture. Wis. Stat. § 19.37.
See Section XIII.,[/align]
[align=left]below.[/align]
[align=left]C.
Format. If the request is in writing, a denial or partial denial of access also must be[/align]
[align=left]in writing. Wis. Stat. § 19.35(4)(b).[/align]
[align=left]- 14 -

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I haven't received a response from the City of St. Francis. (regarding letter sent to businesses after the AG memo) It has been 2 weeks. I emailed them again today.
I have not received a response to my open records request.

Wisconsin law requires that you respond to this request. The Department of
Justice has a policy of responding to requests within 10 days. It has been 10
working days since I made this request. Wisconsin law provides for punitive
damages and $1,000 forfeiture for failing to comply with an open records
request.

7. An arbitrary and capricious delay or denial exposes the custodian to punitive
damages and a $1,000.00 forfeiture. Wis. Stat. § 19.37. See Section XIII.,

Please acknowledge receipt of this email and comply with the open records
request.

---- wrote:
> Good Afternoon Shane,
>
> Under wisconsins Open Records statute I would like to request a copy of any
letters/memo's sent to St. Francis businesses since the Attorney Generals April
20th Memorandum regarding Open Carry in the state of Wisconsin. Specifically I
am aware that Value Village received a letter from the St. Francis Police
Department. I would like to obtain a copy of that letter and any other
letters/memo's sent regarding Open Carry or firearms regulations since April
20th.
>
> Those letters may be emailed as attachments to this email address.
>
> Thank-you for your help,
>
>
>

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

still no response from my open records request and subsequent follow up request of the St. Francis Police Department for a copy of the letter that was mailed around to all businesses.

I contacted the Attorney Generals office today and am awaiting a return phone call regarding what my recourse is since my request has been completely ignored.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Spoke with an attorney at the Dept. of Justice. They said my only other recourse is to file a suit against the city of St. Francis. She said I could ask the DA or the DOJ, but she told me it would be unlikely they'd allocate resources to it.

I have another idea, I'm going to give it a shot and see. We'll report back shortly.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:22 PM
To: Advanced Hydraulics; Advanced Screw; Airport Animal Hospital; American Family, Mark VanEngen Agency; Andane Fitness; Apollo Machining; Appearances, Inc; ARG Machining Corp; Arylins KK Coin Laundry; Associated Global Systems; Badger Metal; Bayview Railing and Ornamental; Bella Grace Tanning Salon; Briggs Woodworking; Cake Lady & Petite Pastries; Carleton Grange Pub; Corporate Limousine Service Inc; Cudahy Paper & Supply; Czar Machine & Welding; Dair Queen; Diamond Electric; Dowling Studios; Easterday Fluid; Fomation; Fontarome Chemical, Inc; Giemza Auto Repair; Greg's True Value; Hamilton Benchmark, Inc; Harbor Freight Tools; Howard Village; Impact Solutions; In Focus Photography; Intergrity Family Services; J & L Honing Co; Jaw Properties, LLC; Jim's Auto; King Case Co; Kitzinger Cooperage Corp; Lakeside Centerless Grinding Co; Lakeside Chiropractic; Layton Fruit Market; Lenard Tool & Machine, Inc; Lynne's Scizzory; Midwest Stairs & Iron Inc; Midwest Stairs & Iron Inc; Mike's Auto; Milwaukee Bucks; MJP Tool Corp; Nippon Express; Parkshore Condo; PDQ Tooling; Quality Candy/Buddy Squirrel; Quality Customs Brokers Inc; RD Image; Reflections Auto Body; Riverside Finance Inc; Shorty's Tavern; Sign & Design of Milwaukee, Inc; Sisters of St Francis of Assisi; South Shore Manor; St Francis Auto Wreckers; St Francis Dental Care; Standard Forwarding; Stark Investments; Supreme Meats; Suzy's Cream Cheesecakes; Tobacco City; Tropics Tanning Studio; TSM Delivery Inc; Value Village; Vern's Barber Shop; Webster Instruments; Wolf's Cleaners
Subject: Open Carrying of Firearms

April 23, 2009

The Wisconsin Attorney General released an advisory memorandum that states under the Wisconsin Constitution, a person has the right to openly carry a firearm, subject to reasonable regulation. It's only unlawful in public buildings, schools and taverns.

Therefore, a person could potentially enter your business while openly carrying a firearm, this in itself will not merit a disorderly conduct ticket, we suggestyou post the message thatcustomers are not allowed to carry firearms into your building or the police will be contacted. This will allow us to pursue criminal trespassing charges against any potential violators upon your request. As always, please call us with any concerns for your safety or the customers welfare whether you post this warning or not.

I suggest you contact your legal counsel for confirmation of the above or further guidance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Brian E. Kaebisch
Chief of Police

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nice. He didn't even both to mention that it was entirely optional and their not doing so would have no impact on the service that they receive from his office. Nor did he mention that all they had to do was request that a person leave and they could get the same criminal tresspass service. This email deserves some air time. :banghead:

AaronS

imported post

I am thinking a lawyer should take a look at this. I, more then ever, feelthat it was an attempt to confuse, and misinform the people this letter was sent out to. I also wonder how this letter was paid for. I think the letter has crossed that line again. I am also thinking that our next picnic should be in that area.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Yeah, it seems very leading. Intimating that if you don't post the sign, they can't pursue trespassing charges. (which they still could, but only if you don't leave when asked)
we suggestyou post the message thatcustomers are not allowed to carry firearms into your building or the police will be contacted. This will allow us to pursue criminal trespassing charges against any potential violators upon your request
And then kinda covers himself by the comment:
As always, please call us with any concerns for your safety or the customers welfare whether you post this warning or not.

I suggest you contact your legal counsel for confirmation of the above
Or non-confirmation of the above. (insert eye roll here)

Just another example of the mindset of law-enforcement. Not unlike South Milwaukee. Its not the businesses clamoring for more "leverage" against law-abiding citizens, its the police departments that want more 'arrest now ask questions later' capability.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I, more then ever, feelthat it was an attempt to confuse, and misinform the people this letter was sent out to.
Its clear to me that it DID confuse. (after talking with the manager at Value Village who said "we didn't want to but the police told us we had to")

Having said that, I think that people with our bias/perception are 100% going to read the letter as misleading/making stores think they have to post signs while people with an anti-gun bias/perception will think its perfectly a-ok what he sent.

Those truly objective who don't know and don't care will just read the letter and shrug. I just don't think there is a "smoking gun".

I strongly suspect the police chief hadn't received a single call from a business owner (i mean heck look at the date, its only a couple days after the memo) but you know he'll say something like "hey businesses were calling me asking what they should do to keep people from carrying in the store"

protias

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I, more then ever, feelthat it was an attempt to confuse, and misinform the people this letter was sent out to.
Its clear to me that it DID confuse. (after talking with the manager at Value Village who said "we didn't want to but the police told us we had to")

Having said that, I think that people with our bias/perception are 100% going to read the letter as misleading/making stores think they have to post signs while people with an anti-gun bias/perception will think its perfectly a-ok what he sent.

Those truly objective who don't know and don't care will just read the letter and shrug. I just don't think there is a "smoking gun".

I strongly suspect the police chief hadn't received a single call from a business owner (i mean heck look at the date, its only a couple days after the memo) but you know he'll say something like "hey businesses were calling me asking what they should do to keep people from carrying in the store"

I hope said businesses post signs welcoming OC people. That would definitely be a sight to see.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Spoke with an attorney at the Dept. of Justice. They said my only other recourse is to file a suit against the city of St. Francis. She said I could ask the DA or the DOJ, but she told me it would be unlikely they'd allocate resources to it.

I have another idea, I'm going to give it a shot and see. We'll report back shortly.
Your idea seemed to work extremely well; care to share the magic?

Dave

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

davegran wrote:
hugh jarmis wrote:

Dave

yeah, call a friend at channel 4 and have them make a phone call for you.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
you know he'll say something like "hey businesses were calling me asking what they should do to keep people from carrying in the store"
Yes he may say that but that information would be available through open records as well.

maybe a copy of this should be sent to the AG's office.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
davegran wrote:
hugh jarmis wrote:

Dave
yeah, call a friend at channel 4 and have them make a phone call for you.
Just a guess, but I'd say your friend at channel 4 probably doesn't clean the toilets there....

Dave

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The rest of the story.

19.37 Enforcement and penalties. (1) MANDAMUS. If an
authority withholds a record or a part of a record or delays granting
access to a record or part of a record after a written request for disclosure
is made, the requester may pursue either, or both, of the
alternatives under pars. (a) and (b).

(a) The requester may bring an action for mandamus asking a
court to order release of the record. The court may permit the parties
or their attorneys to have access to the requested record under
restrictions or protective orders as the court deems appropriate.

(b) The requester may, in writing, request the district attorney
of the county where the record is found, or request the attorney
general, to bring an action for mandamus asking a court to order
release of the record to the requester. The district attorney or attorney
general may bring such an action.

(1m) TIME FOR COMMENCING ACTION. No action for mandamus
under sub. (1) to challenge the denial of a request for access
to a record or part of a record may be commenced by any committed
or incarcerated person later than 90 days after the date that
the request is denied by the authority having custody of the record
or part of the record.

(1n) NOTICE OF CLAIM. Sections 893.80 and 893.82 do not
apply to actions commenced under this section.

(2) COSTS, FEES AND DAMAGES. (a) Except as provided in this
paragraph, the court shall award reasonable attorney fees, damages
of not less than $100, and other actual costs to the requester
if the requester prevails in whole or in substantial part in any
action filed under sub. (1) relating to access to a record or part of
a record under s. 19.35 (1) (a). If the requester is a committed or
incarcerated person, the requester is not entitled to any minimum
amount of damages, but the court may award damages. Costs and
fees shall be paid by the authority affected or the unit of government
of which it is a part, or by the unit of government by which
the legal custodian under s. 19.33 is employed and may not
become a personal liability of any public official.

(b) In any action filed under sub. (1) relating to access to a
record or part of a record under s. 19.35 (1) (am), if the court finds
that the authority acted in a willful or intentional manner, the court
shall award the individual actual damages sustained by the individual
as a consequence of the failure.

(3) PUNITIVE DAMAGES. If a court finds that an authority or
legal custodian under s. 19.33 has arbitrarily and capriciously
denied or delayed response to a request or charged excessive fees,
the court may award punitive damages to the requester.

(4) PENALTY. Any authority which or legal custodian under s.
19.33 who arbitrarily and capriciously denies or delays response
to a request or charges excessive fees may be required to forfeit
not more than $1,000. Forfeitures under this section shall be
enforced by action on behalf of the state by the attorney general
or by the district attorney of any county where a violation occurs.
In actions brought by the attorney general, the court shall award
any forfeiture recovered together with reasonable costs to the
state; and in actions brought by the district attorney, the court shall
award any forfeiture recovered together with reasonable costs to
the county.

History: 1981 c. 335, 391; 1991 a. 269 s. 43d; 1995 a. 158; 1997 a. 94.

A party seeking fees under sub. (2) must show that the prosecution of an action
could reasonably be regarded as necessary to obtain the information and that a “causal nexus” exists between that action and the agency’s surrender of the information. State ex rel. Vaughan v. Faust, 143 Wis. 2d 868, 422 N.W.2d 898 (Ct. App. 1988).

If an agency exercises due diligence but is unable to respond timely to a records
request, the plaintiff must show that a mandamus action was necessary to secure the records release to qualify for award of fees and costs under sub. (2). Racine Education Association. v. Racine Board of Education, 145 Wis. 2d 518, 427 N.W.2d 414 (Ct. App. 1988).

Assuming sub. (1) (a) applies before mandamus is issued, the trial court retains discretion to refuse counsel’s participation in an in camera inspection. Milwaukee Journal v. Call, 153 Wis. 2d 313, 450 N.W.2d 515 (Ct. App. 1989).

If the trial court has an incomplete knowledge of the contents of the public records
sought, it must conduct an in camera inspection to determine what may be disclosed
following a custodian’s refusal. State ex rel. Morke v. Donnelly, 155 Wis. 2d 521, 455
N.W.2d 893 (1990).

A pro se litigant is not entitled to attorney fees. State ex rel. Young v. Shaw, 165
Wis. 2d 276, 477 N.W.2d 340 (Ct. App. 1991).

A favorable judgment or order is not a necessary condition precedent for finding
that a party prevailed against an agency under sub. (2). A causal nexus must be shown between the prosecution of the mandamus action and the release of the requested information. Eau Claire Press Co. v. Gordon, 176 Wis. 2d 154, 499 N.W.2d 918 (Ct. App. 1993).

Actions brought under the open meetings and open records laws are exempt from
the notice provisions of s. 893.80 (1). Auchinleck v. Town of LaGrange, 200 Wis.
2d 585, 547 N.W.2d 587 (1996), 94−2809.

An inmate’s right to mandamus under this section is subject to s. 801.02 (7), which
requires exhaustion of administrative remedies before an action may be commenced.
Moore v. Stahowiak, 212 Wis. 2d 744, 569 N.W.2d 711 (Ct. App. 1997), 96−2547.

When requests are complex, municipalities should be afforded reasonable latitude
in time for their responses. An authority should not be subjected to the burden and
expense of a premature public records lawsuit while it is attempting in good faith to
respond, or to determine how to respond, to a request. What constitutes a reasonable time for a response by an authority depends on the nature of the request, the staff and other resources available to the authority to process the request, the extent of the request, and other related considerations. WIREdata, Inc. v. Village of Sussex, 2008 WI 69, 310 Wis. 2d 397, 751 N.W.2d 736, 05−1473.

The legislature did not intend to allow a record requester to control or appeal a mandamus action brought by the attorney general under sub. (1) (b). Sub. (1) outlines two distinct courses of action when a records request is denied, dictates distinct courses of action, and prescribes different remedies for each course. Nothing suggests that a requester is hiring the attorney general as a sort of private counsel to proceed with the case, or that the requester would be a named plaintiff in the case with the attorney general appearing as counsel of record when proceeding under sub. (1) (b). State v. Zien, 2008 WI App 153, 314 Wis. 2d 340, 761 N.W.2d 15, 07−1930.

Actual damages are the liability of the agency. Punitive damages and forfeitures
can be the liability of either the agency or the legal custodian, or both. Section 895.46
(1) (a) probably provides indemnification for punitive damages assessed against a
custodian, but not for forfeitures. 72 Atty. Gen. 99.

19.39 Interpretation by attorney general. Any person
may request advice from the attorney general as to the applicability of this subchapter under any circumstances. The attorney general
may respond to such a request.
History: 1981 c. 335

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I respectfully suggest, that OCDO send a similar email to all those listed on the one Nik acquired. Informing them that they do indeed have rights, that they do NOT need to post any sign, and that holstered weapons are not a danger.

I would also submit, that a dictatorial policy sent to businesses, by police, should not be tolerated. One might contemplate filing a complaint with the police/fire commission or whatever body oversees the police department. Get this on PUBLIC RECORD that the police are "telling businesses how to run their business" and ask those in charge why they(LEO) are setting business policy.

Just my $0.02