• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making your self less of a target.

rob99vmi04

imported post

Thought I would share this since it just happen to my wifes good friend up in Massachusetts.

I'm pretty sure 99% of us are guilty of this inlcluding me as of today.

My wifes friend was at work when her car was broken into. Her Garmin GPS was stolen.

When she arrived home she found her home was broken into as well. All the BG's had to do was hit HOME on her garmin and it took them to an Empty house. Just a thought and a warning for the rest of us.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I'm sorry that this happened to her, but I haveto ask 2 questions....

1) Does she need a GPS to figure out how to get to work from her own home?

2) If she already knows the way, why didn't she take precautions to ensure that the GPS was hidden from the turd who stole it?

Your title was perfect - making yourself less of a target. If you don't need the GPS on your daily commute, leave it at home or secure it in the car out of sight.

Yesterday, I went to a local store in a small strip mall. I pulled up next to a car, on its passenger side. As I got out of mine, I couldnt help but notice -

1) An unlocked passenger door

2) A ladies purse sitting on the front seat

3) A cell phone sitting on the front seat, next to the purse.

There was NO ONE around and NO ONE would have seen a thing. The angle I was at in the lot would have totally protected me. I could have very easily got down low, opened the door, and helped myself to the goodies. It amazes me that people allow themselves to be victims. I see it all the time....valuables laying on the seat, a car left running and unattended while in 7-11.....people need to take some responsibility for themselves.

rob99vmi04

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

2) If she already knows the way, why didn't she take precautions to ensure that the GPS was hidden from the turd who stole it?

Your title was perfect - making yourself less of a target. If you don't need the GPS on your daily commute, leave it at home or secure it in the car out of sight.

Yesterday, I went to a local store in a small strip mall. I pulled up next to a car, on its passenger side. As I got out of mine, I couldnt help but notice -

There was NO ONE around and NO ONE would have seen a thing. The angle I was at in the lot would have totally protected me. I could have very easily got down low, opened the door, and helped myself to the goodies. It amazes me that people allow themselves to be victims. I see it all the time....valuables laying on the seat, a car left running and unattended while in 7-11.....people need to take some responsibility for themselves.
To answer your question I don't knowwhy her friend doesn't already know the route or had in plain view. However, and I'm guilty of this as well I keep mine running even if I'm going to place I already know to help in case of accidents, so I can find a detour. Plus running around Fairfax I use the map feature to help find lakes and ponds I didn't know where in certain areas to help feed my fishing habit. Her friend is originally from Upstate NY lives on a farm she has a pet cow, so I'm sure theres a big lack of general safety and awareness on her part. She is an Archealogist working up in Mass. So I don't know.

GWRedDragon

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
For the "home" setting, I entered the address of the local police department.
LOL :lol:

If only it was sufficiently inconspicuous that the BG could walk in and not realize what he was doing until it was too late...

bohdi

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

There was NO ONE around and NO ONE would have seen a thing. The angle I was at in the lot would have totally protected me. I could have very easily got down low, opened the door, and helped myself to the goodies.
The rest of what you say is true, however, I have one alternative word for you. HONEYPOT.

fairfax1

imported post

How many people keep their car registration with your home address in the glove box or anything else with your home address (like car repair slips)?

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
How many people keep their car registration with your home address in the glove box...
Maybe a thief would feel sorry for me. My registration says I live in a box at the Post Office! :lol:

Chaingun81

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Plus running around Fairfax I use the map feature to help find lakes and ponds I didn't know where in certain areas to help feed my fishing habit.

Sorry for an unrelated comment, but I have to ask. Did you actally find a fresh body of water in NOVA that has fish that eats?

I tried fishing Burke Lake and Lake Brittle, both have "excellent fishing opportunities" according to VA DGIF site, but I couldn't catch a damn thing. And tried all kinds of lures and baits. And maybe I suck at fishing, but there were lotsofguys who looked professional and they didn't get anything either. Now, I'm not a morning person and only went for an evening session (4-8 PM) but still.

If you know of any places where you can catch anything in NOVA, please let me know - I'd really appreciate it. You can PM me if the place is rather secret :lol:

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I would assume it is for when you have no idea where you are so you do not know the way home.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
rob99vmi04 wrote:
Plus running around Fairfax I use the map feature to help find lakes and ponds I didn't know where in certain areas to help feed my fishing habit.

Sorry for an unrelated comment, but I have to ask. Did you actally find a fresh body of water in NOVA that has fish that eats?

I tried fishing Burke Lake and Lake Brittle, both have "excellent fishing opportunities" according to VA DGIF site, but I couldn't catch a damn thing. And tried all kinds of lures and baits. And maybe I suck at fishing, but there were lotsofguys who looked professional and they didn't get anything either. Now, I'm not a morning person and only went for an evening session (4-8 PM) but still.

If you know of any places where you can catch anything in NOVA, please let me know - I'd really appreciate it. You can PM me if the place is rather secret :lol:
Try Bagles soaked in Starbucks coffee for bait:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

hsmith

imported post

Eh

If someone is already targeting GPS devices, they more than likely already have one and could simply nab your registration from your glove box.

If your GPS has a PIN code, make sure you utilize it to avoid the lazy thief.

virginiatuck

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
How many people keep their car registration with your home address in the glove box or anything else with your home address (like car repair slips)?
And keep a garage door opener in your car? And behind your garage door, is there another locked door or do you leave it unlocked? And is there a security system with battery backup and both POTS line and cellular or other radio backup? And video surveillance inside and outside? And behind all of that, is there a 2,500 lbs. safe holding all valuables and irreplaceables?

rob99vmi04

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
rob99vmi04 wrote:

What type of fishing are you looking for? Burke Lake actually is not bad if you can access to some of the areas with no people. I grew up about 300 yards from the lake so I fished it all through Highschool cutting school almost weekly. I pulled some big Bass out of there and hooked into a few Musky. Never landed one. My buddy caught a 42 inch musky off the peer fishing for crappy. He was using 2 pound test hooked about a 3 inch crappy only to see it swallowed by the 42 in musky. He used to be on the board, little asian kid holding a musky above his head with the tail that touched the ground. I've landed some BIG cats from the boat launch area that is now handicap accessible. You really need a boat to get over around the dam and onto the other side of the lake. I used to see a guy who fished for nothing but Walleye there and landed a few nice ones. I caught one walleye there by accident. Upper Potamac has some killer small mouth fishing. Shenandoah has some good Small mouth, and my co worker has a picture holding aabout a 40 inch musky from the shenandoah. Up until last week I was unaware they where even in the shenandoah. I used to fish alot of back yard pounds with good success. But around here you really have to head up to Loudoun or into Prince William for good fishing. Most of the good stuff is privat ponds.

Apparently there is a large pond over by MASON that is supposed to be fairly unknown and has been stalked heavy by locals. Including some Muskies, I've been searching for it haven't found it. However, I might have better luck finding the fountain of youth.

virginiatuck

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
rob99vmi04 wrote:

I'd hate to stray too much from the forum topic, so I'll tie it in somehow to firearms and OC.

I fish quite a bit. Places that I *can* tell you about are the Beaverdam Creek Reservoir and the Shenandoah river. I can tell you about those places because enough people already know about them that if you're late, they'll be pretty busy in the summer.

OC'd on a day trip down the Shenandoah River and also OC'd at Beaverdam Creek Reservoir both this year. (see, I tied it in) You need a boat for both in order to increase your chances; no gasoline motors are allowed on Beaverdam Creek Reservoir because that's where Fairfax County gets some of its drinking water. That's also no secret. They get most of the rest from the Potomac river, but you can use gasoline there. :)

I will not tell you which spots to fish on Beaverdam Creek Reservoir. You'll have to learn that just like I did. Watch out, though, you will certainly pick up a few ticks walking through the trail around the reservoir. As for the Shenandoah River, you can catch all the fish you want, all day, from a canoe. Just don't eat the ones out of the Shenandoah because there are high levels of mercury thanks to an old DuPont plant in the 1930's.

There's also decent fishing on parts of the Potomac river, but again, you should have a boat. That's really the key to catching a lot of fish just about anywhere; having a boat. Just rent a canoe if you don't have one. Oh, and watch out carrying a firearm on the Potomac: The state line is the low-water mark on the Virginia side of the Potomac and Maryland requires a permit to carry a firearm in their State.

altajava

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I see it all the time....valuables laying on the seat, a car left running and unattended while in 7-11.....people need to take some responsibility for themselves.
I am guilty of this every day butI would argue that the vehicle is not unattended. This time of year I need to leave the A/C on for fido(12 mo.s old and 75lb.s) and the keys come out of the ignition without turning it off so the doors get locked as well.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just one more reason to add to my list of why I consider GPS units 'idiot navigators'; I only use maps. I don't even leave my registration or insurance card in the vehicle.

virginiatuck

imported post

Toad wrote:
Just one more reason to add to my list of why I consider GPS units 'idiot navigators'; I only use maps. I don't even leave my registration or insurance card in the vehicle.
Yeah, as is said a lot around here: something not exercised is something lost. In this case, that something is navigational skills.