• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leesburg BB&T robbed (again)

Floyd

imported post

http://loudountimes.com/news/2009/jul/06/downtown-leesburg-bank-robbed-again/

Source: Loudoun Times-Mirror
MONDAY, JULY 6 2009

The Leesburg Police Department is investigating a bank robbery that occurred around 1:35 p.m. July 6 at the BB&T on Market Street in downtown Leesburg. This was the second robbery at the bank in a little more than a month.

Police said they are looking for three black males who fled the scene in a black, newer model Volkswagen Jetta with temporary Virginia tags.

LoudounExtra.com Another Robbery at Leesburg BB&T By Catherine Cheney
Monday, July 6, 2009
Just a block from the Loudoun County court house, BB&T bank called Leesburg police today reporting its second robbery in just six weeks.
"Never a dull moment," an officer said as he lifted the yellow Crime Scene tape dividing the bank from Loudoun-Market Street.
The call was made at 1:40 p.m., said officer Wes Thompson. "We got a call for a robbery, a black male described as well dressed."
There are conflicting reports about the vehicle and appearance of the suspect. Thompson said he went atop the Leesburg Today building, "where you can see pretty much the whole town," to look for the suspect, who has not yet been identified.
As an investigation took place inside, Thompson commented, "I'm sure it's a pretty traumatic experience," referring to what he calls a "coincidence" of two robberies this summer. Thompson said he does not understand why this building has been a target since it "doesn't seem like the most accessible" building in Leesburg.
Police are still waiting for details including the exact time of the crime, whether a weapon was involved, and as Thompson said, "the who, what, when, where, and why."
Most police officers left the scene by 3:15 p.m. after making a "reverse 911 call to the downtown grid" and sending a message to Alert Leesburg to update community members. Eight to ten officers are collectively working the scene, Thompson said.
Employees of the bank, who were speaking with police investigators, would not comment and said to direct press inquiries to the corporate office in North Carolina.
Copyright 2009 The Washington Post Company

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Floyd wrote:
http://loudountimes.com/news/2009/jul/06/downtown-leesburg-bank-robbed-again/

Source: Loudoun Times-Mirror
MONDAY, JULY 6 2009

The Leesburg Police Department is investigating a bank robbery that occurred around 1:35 p.m. July 6 at the BB&T on Market Street in downtown Leesburg. This was the second robbery at the bank in a little more than a month.

Police said they are looking for three black males who fled the scene in a black, newer model Volkswagen Jetta with temporary Virginia tags.

LoudounExtra.com Another Robbery at Leesburg BB&T By Catherine Cheney
Monday, July 6, 2009
Just a block from the Loudoun County court house, BB&T bank called Leesburg police today reporting its second robbery in just six weeks.
"Never a dull moment," an officer said as he lifted the yellow Crime Scene tape dividing the bank from Loudoun-Market Street.
The call was made at 1:40 p.m., said officer Wes Thompson. "We got a call for a robbery, a black male described as well dressed."
There are conflicting reports about the vehicle and appearance of the suspect. Thompson said he went atop the Leesburg Today building, "where you can see pretty much the whole town," to look for the suspect, who has not yet been identified.
As an investigation took place inside, Thompson commented, "I'm sure it's a pretty traumatic experience," referring to what he calls a "coincidence" of two robberies this summer. Thompson said he does not understand why this building has been a target since it "doesn't seem like the most accessible" building in Leesburg.
Police are still waiting for details including the exact time of the crime, whether a weapon was involved, and as Thompson said, "the who, what, when, where, and why."
Most police officers left the scene by 3:15 p.m. after making a "reverse 911 call to the downtown grid" and sending a message to Alert Leesburg to update community members. Eight to ten officers are collectively working the scene, Thompson said.
Employees of the bank, who were speaking with police investigators, would not comment and said to direct press inquiries to the corporate office in North Carolina.
Copyright 2009 The Washington Post Company
It was probably robbed with a knife or a stick or just a note since guns are banned at most BB&T banks.

altajava

imported post

I have been going to a local BB&T for years to cash my pay check. I have to go in the lobby for this because I don't have an account with them. They saw me once a week before I started OCing.It was probably 6 months after I started OCing before the one teller noticed my sidearm. When he did notice my sidearm, all he said was I don't think you can have that in here andnever asked me to leave. A couple of the ladies have made it a point to learn my name but that was the end of it. I still OC there once a week.

I did notice after the fact a brown no weapons sign stuck on the inside of the tinted front glass door.

Jonesy

imported post

Those idiots lost my business forever, I hope they get robbed as much as possible, maybe they will go out of business. But really, when the robbers come in, they should tell them guns not allowed, surely they will just leave.

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
I wrote them and and told them my thoughts. Maybe you guys should too?

https://www.bbt.com/bbt/apps/contact/corporate.asp?e=mcc#verr
Who was the forum member that tells the story of OCing in a bank when unknown to him a guy (maybe two) walk in with masks on, see him and his weapon, and immediately exit :^). The teller saw the whole thing and had to tell him what just happened... That's the kind of story BB&T needs to hear...

nova

imported post

maybe they should make guns double banned from their banks. :?

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
maybe they should make guns double banned from their banks. :?
You and Ed need to get to bed, hey, that rhymes :^).
I wish I could, just can't seem to though. I end up surfing arfcom, ocdo, and a few other sites. Been this way the past week. I don't want to mess with meds either as I've seen first hand the side affects.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Who was the forum member that tells the story of OCing in a bank when unknown to him a guy (maybe two) walk in with masks on, see him and his weapon, and immediately exit :^). The teller saw the whole thing and had to tell him what just happened... That's the kind of story BB&T needs to hear...

That was in the 12/28/06 VA-Alert. Dennis O'Conner, was and is a VCDL Board member. Story below...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's Gun Dealer Legal Defense Fund -- help fight Mayor Bloomberg's
scheme to cripple Virginia firearms dealers. See: http://www.vcdl.org/index.html#DefenseFund
To unsubscribe or change your email address, please follow the
directions at the end of this message.

The event that VCDL Board member Dennis O'Connor describes below happened in a SunTrust branch a couple of days ago.

SunTrust does not ban their law-abiding customers from legally carrying a firearm for self defense.

Had this been a Wachovia or a BB&T, both of which ban guns, the outcome would probably have been very different.

This event also underlines something that both Dennis and I believe - open carry, in and of itself, can be a strong deterrent to crime. Yes, I know - the criminal COULD do a preemptive strike against someone he sees carrying openly. But in practice such an event is extremely rare. The outcome described below is the usual case.

In analyzing the encounter, the only thing I can flaw Dennis with is not being aware of the significance of what has happening around him. But I have a law enforcement background and was trained to be on the lookout for certain behaviors and do so automatically.

The tellers at the bank, who are probably trained in how to handle a robbery, certainly knew what had just happened!

The other lesson is that crime almost always happens when you least expect it. In this case Dennis was busy getting some deposits taken care of and was focused on that task, something he has done for years routinely without a hitch. So when something unusual happened, his mind was a little slow switching gears.

Looking at it from a criminal's point of view, it was the perfect time for a holdup - the bank had just opened and there were few customers. (You can imagine that it would be much more difficult to rob a bank with, say, thirty people inside.)

In the end, this worked out as it usually does when a criminal finds himself face-to-face with an armed citizen - the criminal flees without a shot being fired.

In this more unusual case, Dennis's gun wasn't even touched or brandished!

Dennis's report:

On Tuesday the 26th of December I went down to the Sun Trust bank in
Hopewell to complete some financial transactions. I got there just as they
were opening and entered with a woman who had been waiting outside. There
were three tellers in position to the left, one customer service associate
at a desk to the right, and the manager was seated in his office to the
rear right, so there were seven of us in the bank.

I have been banking there for years and know the tellers fairly well, who
are quite used to me walking in with my holstered 1911 government model
.45 and two reserve magazines. As I was transacting business with my
teller, a man came in through the front door on this warm December morning
wearing a full ski mask, with only his eyes showing. He was wringing his
hands and glanced furtively toward the office and then swept his eyes
across the room, finally towards me and the tellers. At that, he turned
and BOLTED back out the door!

The teller next to my position was the first to recognize the implications
of what had just happened, and yelled for the manager who came rushing out
from his office. He glanced toward me before sticking his head out the
front door, looking both ways down the sidewalk, and pronouncing that the
suspicious character had apparently left the area. The same teller then
expressed her relief that I had been there, and mentioned that the next Sun
Trust down on Route 10 (Iron Bridge Road) had just been robbed the week
before.

I regret to say that I was pretty oblivious to anything but the business I
was immediately conducting, and walked out thinking no more about it as a
non-incident at the time. In fact, even later that evening I only
mentioned it as a casual after-thought in a conversation with Philip. He
urged me to write up this account of what had transpired, and I will leave
it to him to dissect and analyze the facts, psychologies, probabilities and
possible alternative outcomes.

FOLLOW UP

I went by the bank again today to make a deposit - same three tellers on
duty. I asked them if the police were called over the ski-masked intruder.
They said no, but they had all discussed the incident yesterday afternoon
and agreed that it was me standing there with a gun at Sharon's window
(first one from the door) that spooked him into changing his plans, and
they all thanked me again (although I didn't DO anything).

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).
VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to
defending the human rights of all Virginians. The membership considers the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms to be an essential human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

ed

imported post

pourshot wrote:
That was in the 12/28/06 VA-Alert. Dennis O'Conner, was and is a VCDL Board member. Story below...
Wow pourshot, you sure have a good memory and find stuff on Dennis O'Conner very quickly.. maybe you love him.. maybeyou should marry him!:lol:

Anyway.. thanks for posting that.. I cut and pasted it and sent the entire thing to BB&T.

:dude:

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
pourshot wrote:
Wow pourshot, you sure have a good memory and find stuff on Dennis O'Conner very quickly.. maybe you love him.. maybeyou should marry him!:lol:

Anyway.. thanks for posting that.. I cut and pasted it and sent the entire thing to BB&T.

You don't have to get jealous Ed! It is just Gmail and Gmail is a wonderful thing. I have all the alerts going back to 10/28/04.

ed

imported post

pourshot wrote:
ed wrote:
pourshot wrote:

You don't have to get jealous Ed! It is just Gmail and Gmail is a wonderful thing. I have all the alerts going back to 10/28/04.
I love my gmail.

I also took Philips comments above and Dennis' comments and posted THEM to the comments section of the Leesburg article about BB&T. Now lets see if THOSE get through the "comment screeners".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BB&T has a revolving door invitation for BGs.

They practically make donations. I guess advertising pays off. :p

Yata hey

ed

ed

imported post

Dear Mr. Levine:

Thank you for contacting BB&T E-Mail Support regarding your concerns.

We apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations in servicing your banking needs. BB&T's goal is to provide superior client service by understanding our clients' needs.

BB&T adopted a corporate policy several years ago prohibiting firearms on bank premises. The only exception to the policy is contracted security personnel and law enforcement officers who are appropriately authorized to have such weapons in their possession.

The bank values the safety of its employees and each client who comes into a BB&T facility. Unauthorized persons carrying firearms concealed or otherwise, may add to the anxiety of bank customers and employees. Therefore, the pictorial decal on the front door at every BB&T office is a reminder that firearms are not allowed.

If we can provide additional assistance, please e-mail us again.

Thank you for visiting BBT.com. We appreciate your business!

BB&T E-Mail Support

-----Original Message-----
Name: Mr Ed Levine
Home Phone: 703-000-0000
Email Address:

Date Received: 7/7/2009 11:10:44 PM
Subject: Corporate Comments

I saw another one of your banks in Leesburg got robebd the other day. How did they rob it? Did they not see the NO GUNS sign on the door?? Once BB&T realizes that guns are legally carried by bank employees (that want to) and customers/citizens.. the BB&T's will not be such an easy target for a bad guy. I closed my accounts a long time ago as soon as your NO GUNS signs went up. Good luck.

ed

imported post

ed wrote:
Dear Mr. Levine:

We apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations in servicing your banking needs. BB&T's goal is to provide superior client service by understanding our clients' needs.

BB&T adopted a corporate policy several years ago prohibiting firearms on bank premises. The only exception to the policy is contracted security personnel and law enforcement officers who are appropriately authorized to have such weapons in their possession.

The bank values the safety of its employees and each client who comes into a BB&T facility. Unauthorized persons carrying firearms concealed or otherwise, may add to the anxiety of bank customers and employees. Therefore, the pictorial decal on the front door at every BB&T office is a reminder that firearms are not allowed.

BB&T E-Mail Support

Email Address:

I saw another one of your banks in Leesburg got robebd the other day. How did they rob it? Did they not see the NO GUNS sign on the door?? Once BB&T realizes that guns are legally carried by bank employees (that want to) and customers/citizens.. the BB&T's will not be such an easy target for a bad guy. I closed my accounts a long time ago as soon as your NO GUNS signs went up. Good luck.
and being ROBBED won't??? :banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
Dear Mr. Levine:

BB&T E-Mail Support

Email Address:

Operative word in Mr. Levine's reply is "anxiety." Obviously BB&T's concern over people's anxiety is more important than their safety.

Oh well, l the blind and deaf will lead those that can neither see nor hear.

Yata hey