Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Man Arrested For Drunken OC In Kenosha.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    There is a report in the Kenosha News about a man that was arrested at Kenosha's Harbor Fest OC'ing. He was found to be intoxicated and arrested. The police detained him for questioning solely for the fact of OC'ing. He consentedto a Breathalizer and blew a .19.I'll post the article when I can find an online link.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Great, Just what we need, an idiot leaving the impression that he represents us.

    I searched every where and I could not find anything on this.



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern Ark.
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    I read the Kenosha News On-Line every day and havent seen a thing on this. I believe if it were true there would be a big writeup on this. This is news.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    I hope this is just a rumor. We really don't need this.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Barneveld, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    @GJD

    Not doubting anything, just trying to find information.

    When you say "in the Kenosha News" what do you mean? Where did you hear this exactly? Thanks for the information.

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    He was found to be intoxicated and arrested. The police detained him for questioning solely for the fact of OC'ing. He consentedto a Breathalizer and blew a .19.

    What is the precedent for "intoxicated"? For driving there is an established standard, but is there one for other things? I mean walking down teh street drunk is a crime but THAT is never enforced. Go to water street ANY friday night and you could make 100 arrests?

    Also, why consent to a breathalyzer? Dumb. When you drive, refusal to take a brethalyzer is an automatic loss of your license, but the same does not apply to refusal to take a breathalyzer when you are walking around?

    I'd make the police prove "intoxicated" by whatever "other" evidence they have.

    Once again. NEVER talk to the police. NEVER consent to anything.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    I had the newspaper in my hand and read the article when I stopped by to help out my grandparents today. It was not a large write up, just a small couple of paragraphs on the side of the 3rd page or so of the front section, along with other police patrol updates.



    It basically said that a Kenosha man was arrested at the Harbor Fest Sunday while open carrying a firearm. Police asked him why he was carrying and he said because it was his 2nd Amendment right. He consented to a breathalyzer, and blew a .19 and was subsequently arrested.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    I wonder what they are going to charge him with. I would NEVER recommend doing so but I don't believe that drinking while armed is a crime. Perhaps public intoxication or something.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

  9. #9
    Regular Member Birdhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    I believe that carrying a firearm while intoxicated in a Felony.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Birdhunter wrote:
    I believe that carrying a firearm while intoxicated in a Felony.
    It is not possible to prove a negative assertion, that nowhere in Wisc. Statutes/Regulations is it made a felony to carry a firearm while intoxicated, without examining each one of ten thousand. Please IAW OCDO Rule 7)1 provide a citation.

    Here I can show that it is a Class A misdemeanor.

    941.20 Endangering safety by use of dangerous
    weapon. (1) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a
    Class A misdemeanor:

    [ ... ]

    (b) Operates or goes armed with a firearm while he or she is
    under the influence of an intoxicant; or

    FN 1: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    If this individual did actually blow a 0.190, there is no denying he was obviously drunk.

    Now if the policeapproached him by the firearm alone, he may have a chance of getting this charge tossed.
    But I am fairly sure the police report will say it was his behavior that drew their attention, and the fiream was noticed after the fact.



  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    If this individual did actually blow a 0.190, there is no denying he was obviously drunk.

    You'd be surprised. I have friends who are armed government agents who can tell you stories about stopping someone for speeding, smelling alcohol, asking them to step out, the person passes field sobriety tests BUT blows a rediculous number. It happens.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post



  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    It would be interesting to find out just who this person is. I smell something sour. This never made any headlines, why not?This might very well be a Fabricated story made up by the police department.

    Stranger things have happened.

    I have still not found any information on this incident. I'm thinking it did not happen.

  15. #15
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    If this individual did actually blow a 0.190, there is no denying he was obviously drunk.

    Now if the policeapproached him by the firearm alone, he may have a chance of getting this charge tossed.
    But I am fairly sure the police report will say it was his behavior that drew their attention, and the fiream was noticed after the fact.

    If obviously drunk, then they'd have solid grounds to approach him. Wearing a gun around this state is certainly going to be interpreted by the police as an invitation to start a conversation at the very least. Police have enough experience with the signs of intoxication to recognize them without a breathalyzer. Yes, it was inadvisable to consent to the breathalyzer, but his judgment was impaired at the time he consented-- further evidence that he should not have been armed. If one is not in a mental state that facilitates making a well-reasoned legal decision (such as consenting to the breath test) then one certainly is not in a proper mental state to make a decision about the use of a firearm. Bottom line-- do NOT drink and carry.

    I made a quick check of charges filed within the last few days in Kenosha County. Didn't see anything that seemed related to the reported incident-- yet. It would be helpful to know the arresting agency.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Would have be either the City of Kenosha PD or the Kenosha County SO and I can find no information on this incident through either


  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    Maybe they just dropped him off at home, detox, or something. If they didn't arrest or charge him then I don't think there would be a record of it.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Maybe he was an off duty police officer?

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    J.Gleason wrote:
    Maybe he was an off duty police officer?
    :shock: I didn't think of that...

    Makes sense.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

  20. #20
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Unlikely that an off-duty officer would OC. More than likely that the DA hasn't decided about the charges since it's probably not your everyday sort of offense. I did find a number of disorderly conduct charges so there's no way of knowing if any of those cases are "our boy." But if it is he should consider himself lucky if that were the only charge. It's possible that the police just gave the individual a ride home or to detox, but then it probably wouldn't make the paper. Those would be some very forgiving service-minded police if that were true. Almost like Otis locking himself into his cell in Mayberry.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    223

    Post imported post

    Statistically there is no difference. Either people can handle responsibility or they can't.

    No different then drunk driving.



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    Now if the policeapproached him by the firearm alone, he may have a chance of getting this charge tossed.
    But I am fairly sure the police report will say it was his behavior that drew their attention, and the fiream was noticed after the fact.
    The police have had ample time to think up some behavior which made them suspicious about his demeanor or his drinking.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    If I have a beer, I will wait at least two hours before OCing in public. This is because I don't want it on my breath and I want to have a completely free BAC.

    Once I can think of I had a beer and went to the store on my way home. I did not OC in the store because of the beer I just drank.

    Drinking before or while carrying is just another way for DA to attack your actions should you ever have to use your gun in defense of your life.

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't lose sleep over this guy.

    If true, he's just somebody, thoughtless,that discovered his right to carry without digging further to find out the full picture.

    There really is no reason why we should separate ourselves into "OCers" and "the rest of the world". Everybody has the right to self-defense. That is necessarily going to include some dummies.

    Remember. He doesn't make the rest of us look bad. People do the equating themselves in their own mind. People with an alarmist orcritical bent, or an axe to grind.

    If anything, he makes the rest of us look good.We regularlysoapbox aboutresponsibility, guns and alcohol not mixing, and so forth.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    I wouldn't lose sleep over this guy.

    If true, he's just somebody, thoughtless,that discovered his right to carry without digging further to find out the full picture.

    There really is no reason why we should separate ourselves into "OCers" and "the rest of the world". Everybody has the right to self-defense. That is necessarily going to include some dummies.

    Remember. He doesn't make the rest of us look bad. People do the equating themselves in their own mind. People with an alarmist orcritical bent, or an axe to grind.

    If anything, he makes the rest of us look good.We regularlysoapbox aboutresponsibility, guns and alcohol not mixing, and so forth.
    At least he was not pictured on the front page of any major newspaper whie wearing an OCDO T-Shirt!! That would not be the publicity we need.

    But if he was wearing an OCDO shirt, he probably would have had a better grasp of right and wrong activities while armed.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •