• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana Affirms Sovereignty

bsmit24

imported post

Although I like the idea, Louisiana is/was in the top five of recipent states in federal dollars received per dollar sent to washington. We are effectively a welfare state and have made little progress with those federal dollars and I really do not believe that our politicians are willing to bite the hand that feeds them in any meaningful way.:(

Oscarr

imported post

Me and a friend were talking about this the other day, when we first read it we both had the same thing to say at the end: "or what... ?".

There's a lot of demands in that resolution, but nothing saying what will happen if (when) the government ignores it.

seaplanepilot1

imported post

Gentlemen,

Why would our senators pass this amendment?

Have they grown some gonads? Maybe they have heard from their constituents and "they" are mad?

I believe that we can stop this "federal train".

Regards,

Erik

imported post

Question #1 To capitalize on the recent surge in nationwide discontent.
Question #2 I seriously doubt it.
Question #3 More than likely.

Oh, we CAN "stop this federal train," and THAT is exactly what "they" know is coming and there's not a damned thing they can do to prevent it. And they know it.

bsmit24

imported post

The federal government removed two of the methods the founding fathers established for the states to defend themselves from the federal government. Popular election of senators, the states no longer have direct representation in DC as they did when the states selected the senators and direct taxation of citizens. The federal government does not recieve any of its revenue directly from the states but taxes the citizens directly thru withholding so a state has little recourse to fund itself without a handout from the state and the citizens are reluctant to resist the federal taxes on any measureable scale.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

bsmit24 wrote:
Although I like the idea, Louisiana is/was in the top five of recipent states in federal dollars received per dollar sent to washington. We are effectively a welfare state and have made little progress with those federal dollars and I really do not believe that our politicians are willing to bite the hand that feeds them in any meaningful way.:(
No kidding. Louisiana has a horrible reputation in Libertarian circles. Over 1% of your population is in jail, and your cops get "busted" by tv reporters doing stings on bad cops. After Katrina, La. gave every impression that it was incapable of caring for itself and ceded all of its independence to the Feds. La. seems wedded to big government.

I can't see La. taking any appreciable step towards freedom.

imported post

When I spent MONTHS searching for a real attorney, I happened to call a constitutionalist attorney in Boston.
When he asked "what state are you calling from," I sadly mumbled "Louisiana."

His response?

"Louisiana is a VERY corrupt state."