• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where's JB?

comp45acp

imported post

J.B. has to have the permission of Doyle or have it granted by the Senate or the Assembly. He had a similar situation during Heller. He couldn't sign on to the brief until he got permission from the Assembly. Now that the radical left runs everything at the Capital it is highly unlikely he will get permission to sign on to this brief.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Really? Where in his job description is his discretion so limited?

The AG does not work for the legislature and for them to interfere with his discretion would be a gross transgression of checks and balances between the branches of government.

If the AG felt strongly about it then he could risk the Chief Executive's wrath and do what he knows is right. Unfortunately there is little substantive difference between the two major parties.

comp45acp

imported post

I can't give you chapter and verse Doug but some of us did contact his office during Heller admonishing him for not signing on to the brief and that was the reply we got.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

comment 12 for the lazy folks (i was guilty of this too)

comment from Van Hollens office:
"This case presents an issue that I want to support. However, under our laws, I am not able to join a brief such as this unless I have the consent of the Governor’s office or either house of the legislature. We asked for, but were unable to obtain, the Governor’s consent. His representatives advised mine that they did not believe that it was clearly in the best interests of the State of Wisconsin to advocate for a broad reading of the Second Amendment. If, in fact, the Supreme Court decides to accept this case, we will again approach the Governor to join an amicus which promotes a broad reading of the Second Amendment. We did not approach either house of the legislature for consent because the timing of the request, and our need to review the mater internally, did not provide us with enough time to go that route.”

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The state constitution states that the powers and duties of the Attorney General shall be determined by the legislature. So, the powers and duties are limited to whatever they grant or assign by statute. JB seems to be among the few higher public employees who actually realizes they cannot just make up laws or assume powers to suit them or when it's convenient. Too bad that is such a rare thing.