• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ever OC on Tangier Island?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Thinking about going fora weekend......experiences anyone?
No I haven't ...but let me know how it goes. I've never been and we are thinking about taking the sailboat over one weekend.

riverrat10k

imported post

Jeeze, I would be careful.

Those folks are closeknit. If you piss them off, you might be crab bait.

I would definitely check into it further. There are very few permanent residents. I would bet that gun ownership on the island is about 100%.

Tangier has always gone their own way, and I would get a personal opinion from an Islander before walking in there oc'ing.

Just my 2 obamas.

ed. fer spel

TFred

imported post

I don't know about the OC question, but I've been there a number of times for a day trip. It's a very, very small community, where quite literally, everyone knows everyone else.

If you do go, be sure to arrange for a meal at Mrs. Crockett's restaurant. The schedule probably revolves around the arrival of the tour boat from the mainland. It's "family style", they will seat you at a large table with others, and bring out the meats, and the veggies and rolls are on the table.

It's one of only two places in the world where I will eat a crab cake.

If you do spend a day or two there, I'd be interested to hear how it goes... there really doesn't seem to be anything to do after you walk around the island a couple times.

TFred

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
...there really doesn't seem to be anything to do after you walk around the island a couple times.
That's exactly why I want to go.

I used to work with a Crockett. He was from there. He told me some stories and I've always wanted to visit.
:) Parks, Crockett and Pruitt probably name the majority of the island.

If you're looking for a quiet get-away, there is probably nothing better anywhere nearby.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've been there many times and know folks that are from there. I can't think of a single reason to OC there. You are more safe there than Obama is at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. on a daily basis. If you must, (and have a permit) go ahead and CC. When you do go, make sure you take one of the boats that leaves from a VIRGINIA port; not MARYLAND.

The biggest reason NOT to OC there is you REALLY don't want to annoy the locals. They make the set of Deliverance seem like Downtown Norfolk during Harborfest.

The people there are quite friendly to tourists because they rely heavily on tourist spending, but you don't want to do anything to "get under their skin". They still speak Elizabethan English (Yes, they really do sound like the Jamestown Settlers that left them there in 1610).

Your best bet is to smile and wave, spend your money, compliment them on their food and hospitality and then go home.

Just my $.02 worth...

Mike

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow, the memories! My wife and I sailed there back in the late '80's, stayed on our boat, but ate at Mrs. Crockett's. Went back about 10 years ago, by ferry this time, and ate at Mrs. Crockett's! So she's still in business, huh?! I remember all the fried foods, loads of fresh rolls and butter, huge plates of omelets, plenty of refills on coffee or sweet tea.....

If I were to return (I'm getting hungry already) I would CC. Sure its legal to OC there, but the island is so small and close-knit, that even when you are walking on the public "roads" (bike trails, really) it is like walking on paths through someone's back yard. I wouldn't walk through my neighbors' backyards OC'ing unless they said OK. If you want to try it, fine, but Mrs. Crockett may take some time out to hit you upside the head with one of her frying pans!:uhoh:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Wow, the memories! My wife and I sailed there back in the late '80's, stayed on our boat, but ate at Mrs. Crockett's. Went back about 10 years ago, by ferry this time, and ate at Mrs. Crockett's! So she's still in business, huh?! I remember all the fried foods, loads of fresh rolls and butter, huge plates of omelets, plenty of refills on coffee or sweet tea.....

If I were to return (I'm getting hungry already) I would CC. Sure its legal to OC there, but the island is so small and close-knit, that even when you are walking on the public "roads" (bike trails, really) it is like walking on paths through someone's back yard. I wouldn't walk through my neighbors' backyards OC'ing unless they said OK. If you want to try it, fine, but Mrs. Crockett may take some time out to hit you upside the head with one of her frying pans!:uhoh:
+1

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

A while back one of the local papers on the Eastern Shore had an article about the island and its people. IIRC the Police Chief doesn't carry a gun and only handles small problems. The Accomack Co. Sheriff or VSP has to send someone over for any thing big. I would cc not oc Tangier is a close nit small community, think Maybery.

Goldie Glock

imported post

i worked on the island for 3 years and the only people I ever saw carry a gun was the marine police..... The local police don't even carry.... So leave it in the car or at home... The people are very sweet and I really think your asking to be put off the island... so go over and enjoy the the island for the day...:quirky

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Goldie Glock wrote:
i worked on the island for 3 years and the only people I ever saw carry a gun was the marine police..... The local police don't even carry.... So leave it in the car or at home... The people are very sweet and I really think your asking to be put off the island... so go over and enjoy the the island for the day...:quirky

asking to be put off the island? wow, that bad?

Guess I'll just CC

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
ummmm... Tangier Sound or Chesapeake Bay;

no paddle, small boat = very bad idea ;)

(unless you're in a sailboat...)
If some of the guys I know from Tangier set you out it might have holes in it too.