• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employers should not be able to dictate who can store their firearms in their locked motor vehicles

T Vance

imported post

My work doesn't allow employees to have guns on the premises, including in there car while at work. Fortunatly I have an apartment there so I am able to drop my gun off there when I come from my house in Jackson and not risk facing being fired.

Bronson

imported post

I'm of mixed minds on this issue. While I agree that it's my car and I should have thesay as to what's in it, it is still parked on their property and they should have the right to say what is allowed on their property.

I have no answers.

Bronson

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Bronson wrote:
I'm of mixed minds on this issue. While I agree that it's my car and I should have thesay as to what's in it, it is still parked on their property and they should have the right to say what is allowed on their property.

I have no answers.

Bronson
I agree, mostly. However, IMO, I feel an employers rights should not include the passenger compartment or trunk of an employees vehicle while on company property. Yeah, I know, my opinion doesn't mean $hit...just sayn'. :)

Michigander

imported post

I've had one employer that would have fired me for having a gun in my car. I definitely didn't let them search me or my car. Problem solved.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

gutshot wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
We need a bill like this http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4868

It's enough that they block people with CPL's from carrying while at work or they risk losing their job. Who are they to say you can't leave it in the car while you're at the office.

We don't have that problem in KY. State law prevents employers from banning gun in employees cars on company property. KY is the most gun friendly state in the nation.
I don't know about the "most gun friendly" part. I think Michigan has a long way to go, and in some respects we are even "gun friendlier" than Kentucky.

I will admit, being able to carry w/out a permit in a car if the pistol is locked in the glove compartment is great, as is the absence of pistol registration. Michigan's pistol registration and the "NO OC in a car" w/out a license must go. But then again, KY license holders can't carry (OC) in most prohibited places such as bars, schools, day-cares, etc (and KY has more prohibited places). KY license holders can't OC w/ a license in a school; you can in Michigan. A daycare, yep, OC w/ a license is legal here too. We can even OC or CC in a gov't building (except a court), something that appears is prohibited in Kentucky.
My point in this is not to criticize, rather it is to underscore the need for all of us here, from each state, to push for a no-restriction, no-license needed open carry situation. If a majority of states toss the restrictions, I'm sure other states eventually will too.

I love your state... just beautiful. I do like like some of the Kentucky firearm law "non restrictions" in some sense and I like ours too. I just hope someday we can look back and say... "wow, things are certainly better since the states and the feds have gotten rid of all of those idiotic firearm laws".

Carry on!

Veritas

imported post

Bronson wrote:

I have no answers.

Bronson
For me, the answer is simple: Out of sight, out of mind. And while I won't come right out and say what I'm getting at... "out of sight, out of mind" does not pertain to the parking lot, only. If you know what I mean. Disgruntled employee shootings have been "popular" in recent years... your pistol does you very little if it's locked in your car out in the parking lot.

What would you do if you were conceal carrying and you saw a "No Firearms" sign at the entrance of a building that you needed to enter? I'd simply stay concealed and enter. I'd rather be asked to leave (and even charged with trespassing if they can prove I observed the sign upon entering) after having to defend myself than to be defenseless.

Same goes with employers... I'd rather be fired and alive than dead "with a job". If you think about it, you lose your job either way. The question becomes: Do you want to risk losing your life along with it?

I bet you dollars to donuts that the first person to protect their fellow employers from a disgruntled employee on a rampage would pave the way for employers to realize that prohibiting weapons is pretty foolish. I think it's humorous (not a "hahaha" sense but in a "how stupid" sense) that folks think a sign or a policy prohibiting guns makes people safe. You can become a victim at any time in any place. Even in church, as we've seen several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8

Ruckus

imported post

Parking at my work is always really tight with the space we have in conjunction with the number of employees we have. By 10AM we always have a few car spill over onto the less crowded parking lot of the business behind us. I always make sure no matter how many spaces are available in our lot, that I'm one of the cars parked in the neighboring business's lot.

I don't know if that will save me if the issue ever arises, but my excuse would be that I'm not even parked on our company's property.