• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice needed: What to carry with me when I carry?

Oscarr

imported post

What do you carry with you, when you OC (other than your gun ofcourse hehe). I mean paper/print-out wise. Which section of law/statutes/Attn. Gen. letters/etc should I carry with me.

I'll be honest, I've RARELY carried before cause I've never owned a pistol until today (just bought a Hi Point C9 for my wife, cheap cost but not cheaply made!) The few times I've carried was borrowing my friends glock for trips that required going into... shadier sides of town.

I'm looking forward to doing it on a regular basis, but I'd like to be fully prepared for anything that might come up.

Gbav1

imported post

First, you want to make sure your weapon is reliable. Practice shooting, drawing your weapon, etc. until it becomes second nature. try to be consistent. I carry all types of pistols and guns. I would recomend starting out with a revolver, because of the simplcity of it. Pull the trigger and 99.5% of the time the weapon will fire.

Use only factory ammo when carrying. A good scumbag, I mean lawyer will tear you up in court with anything else. Don't scimp, and buy yourself a good quality holster for your weapon. Never,ever,ever,ever, put your finger inside the trigger guard until your going to shoot.

I also carry a shrunk down copy of my bill of sale in my wallet of my weapon that I am carrying. Helps prove who owns the gun right there on the spot, when you are stopped by an LEO. Hope this helps Gbav1

kdick3

imported post

When I carry all I have on me is my gun, really. XD 4'' Service model in 9mm... VERY reliable if you ask me and a GREAT OC gun (if you're looking for suggestions, that is).

I really like the 1911 style grip safety, it makes me feel a lot more secure when holstering my weapon as my thumb goes over the firing pin indicator on the back of the slide instead. By keeping my hand off the grip safety when holstering, I feel more comfortable knowing that if any obstruction (tensioning strap, ect.) gets caught in the trigger guard I won't shoot my leg when I go to holster. I've heard of people being shot in the leg with their glocks because something pulls the trigger when they holster their weapon. Just my .02.

kdick3

imported post

Are you talking about FMJ instead of JHP? I've heard of lawyers busting people for using JHP they loaded themselves because they "intended for the bullet to kill" the person, but I didn't know this was actually a REAL issue.

Please clarify:

Gbav1 wrote:
Use only factory ammo when carrying. A good scumbag, I mean lawyer will tear you up in court with anything else

Oscarr

imported post

I plan on using Federal Tactical HST 124gr +P (P9HST3) or Federal Tactical HST 147gr. +P (P9HST4) when actually carrying for SD. As for "intended to kill" -- hell yes lol, if I'm in a situation where I'm forced to pull a gun and shoot, damn right I'm intending to kill.

I've heard good things about the XD, but I ended up getting a Hi Point C9 -- a lot of hate on them cause they're cheap (in cost, got mine for 150) but they're well made, 100% American, and have an AMAZING warranty. I can't find any reports of actual owners disliking the gun, only people that assume "its cheap price, must be cheap made!" seem to dislike the gun.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kdick3 wrote:
Are you talking about FMJ instead of JHP? I've heard of lawyers busting people for using JHP they loaded themselves because they "intended for the bullet to kill" the person, but I didn't know this was actually a REAL issue.

Please clarify:

Gbav1 wrote:
Use only factory ammo when carrying. A good scumbag, I mean lawyer will tear you up in court with anything else
I think he means to contrast factory ammo as opposed to re-loads.It has been argued that a gun-knowledgeable lawyer will be able to make the point that JHP is a more responsible round for self defence because it is less likely to pass through your intended target and wound an innocent bystander than a FMJ might do.

kdick3

imported post

Glad to see that was over turned.

Sad that the man now has half a million dollar's in debt, however.

Such is the way with our court system. You may win, but you'll spend the rest of your life paying off your "victory".

Thanks for the info, XD-GEM. I'll use my reloaded ammo at the range and keep the factory stuff for carrying, just in case.

Oscarr

imported post

Dustin wrote:
http://www.haroldfishdefense.org/

They seem to have reversed his case just last month :celebrate
Seems the gov. still has to sign the bill into law too though. But one thing really stood out to me on that site as complete and utter bull poop:
1. Raise money for Harold Fish to pay his almost half million dollars in legal fees.
That's complete bull crap it costs that much to defend yourself, talk about a lopsided system that really favors the rich. Sorry, our legal system, while one of the best in the world yes, still has a LOTTTT of room for improvement, and it's one of my pet peeves.

Dustin

imported post

Oscarr wrote:
Seems the gov. still has to sign the bill into law too though.

07/01/09: 02:46 AM The Arizona State House PASSED SB1449 (52 to 4)!

Unless the Governor wants to commit political suicide, he'll know what to do. ;)

Submit to the People's Demand !