• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC & LE incident

eXistenZ

imported post

Well I knew this day would eventually come, you open carry for long enough and you will be approached by law enforcement. I always make sure to have my tape recorder or digital camera (which takes a few hours of video) with me just in case a sheep decides to go off on me or I run across a LE officer who doesn't appreciate OC'ing, boy did my camera get some use today!

I've been open carrying more and more lately as it's hot and I don't want to wear a jacket or cover shirt, plus I figured today being the 4th was the perfect day to OC, I didn't know how truly interesting it would get.

It all started simple enough, showed up with my girlfriend at the park strip where the parade was going around. We walked around a little bit waiting for things to get kicked off and looking for a spot to stand while the parade passed. It just so happened the only decent spot left without standing behind a few rows of people was right in front of a cops car. I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong but still never having run across LE before while carrying, let alone open carrying, made me slightly apprehensive. I wasn't even sure he noticed me for awhile, we probably stood there for 20 minutes before I noticed him approaching my strong side out of the corner of my eye. That's when things got interesting.

"What model of Glock is that?" he asked, I turned, raised my right arm and said "It's the Glock model 22", and things went from there. He talked about how the department issues Glock 21's but he could never catch on to them so he carries a Colt, with 4 extra mags no less. We talked about the ammo shortages, even for the PD, training and tactics, insane firearm prices, and how we both wanted to own more guns. He asked where I was from, how long I've been here and whether I like it or not. Which of course led into a discussion of Alaska great gun laws, the second amendment, and so forth. Then he dropped the big one on me after asking where I work, "Have you ever considered a career in law enforcement?" I couldn't believe my ears, why yes, as a matter of fact I have been, a LOT. We talked for a little bit more about it, the requirements, time it all takes, and then he gave me his card so when I set up a ride along I can request him. We shook hands, exchanged names, and I must say it was a great experience. And of course my camera got tons of use taking pictures of the old cars, cool floats, and of course Miss Alaska!

I had always been a little apprehensive when OC'ing just because I never knew what reaction people would give, after that experience it cleared all that up. Of course some day I may run across a LE officer who isn't as well grounded as he was but I'm not counting on it, this is Alaska after all. To top it all off I have looked and looked for some type of local group to get involved in when I see coming down the street the Anchorage 2nd Amendment Task Force walking down holding a big banner, I couldn't help but laugh as they walked by as they were all OC'ing also. I turned to my girlfriend and said "there's part of the parade I could've been involved in", and have since then sent them an email inquiring more.
Thank you all for reading, I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July!
patriot.gif
Sorry for the anticlimactic finish after all that build up but I couldn't resist!

PS: I also sent a letter to the Chief of Police commending the officer.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

First of all, welcome to OCDO!

Truly a great story, all LE encounters should be exactly like this one. Keep doing what you're doing, and good luck to you if you decide to go into LE as a career. I'm looking to go into it as well, but with this economy it's going to be difficult to get hired on.

wewd

imported post

Alaska isn't just another state, it's another planet compared to California. Good stuff. If it weren't so expensive to move and I knew I could get a job there, I would go in a heartbeat. Enjoy the summer weather. Your "hot" summer days are our "nice" summer days. We're supposed to have triple digits this weekend.

Flintlock

imported post

Stories like yours are very good to hear considering all the negative encounters posted around the country. I absolutelylove Alaska.

We have had our issues with the occassional LEO in the Palmer area and the Kenai Penninsula, but for the most part, our LEO are very down-to-earth and pro 2nd amendment. Thanks for posting your story.

And welcome to OCDO.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Man I wish I was still in Alaska at least for the good Police Force, I had a run in with officers here in Washington and it was pretty bad. Ever since moving away I've really learned how awful the cops here in the lower 48 are, at least in Alaska I felt safe calling them in case of an emergency where as here I won't even answer the door for them.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Again, welcome to OCDO! The only OC/LEO encounters I've had here have been cops seeing my firearm, then keeping on moving (except for a Game Warden who threatened to arrest me for trespass while deer hunting, but that got straightened out OK). Your experience shows that pro 2nd Amendment cops aren't that hard to find. Its often the case here, but not always.

Seeing your atavar makes me wonder: are you from the south or just one of those "rebel" states' rights kind of guy?