• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flap Holster Carry

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Has anyone explored the feasibility of flap holster carry?
[size="-1"]
790.001 Definitions.
--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires: [/size]
[size="-1"](2)"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.[/size]
[size="-1"]790.053 Open carrying of weapons.-- [/size]
[size="-1"](1)Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.[/size]
[size="-1"]790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.-- [/size]
[size="-1"]...For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9)...Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01.

In reading these statutes, it appears that carry in an old-fashioned flap holster that conceals the gun from the ordinary sight of another person would satisfy the statute and allow for very effective open carry. Guns are often carried in fanny packs and purses; how is a flap holster fundamentally different?

If my analysis is correct, bearing in mind I'm dog tired, Florida would have quasi- open carry, most closely akin to Illinois, but Florida statutes would permit the flap-holstered gun to be loaded. I don't think that the holster, fanny pack or purse is part of the gun. The statutes certainly says nothing of the sort.

Thoughts?

[/size]

fridaddy

imported post

Very interesting concept. A strict reading of the law would definitely be that it is the gun not the holster that must be completely concealed. The spirit of the law in FL is definitely to conceal that a gun is present. A fanny pack accomplishes this to the un- knowledgeable but a holster makes it obvious. A strict construction of the statute you would win, but I do not think you would get a strict construction on this one.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

fridaddy wrote:
Very interesting concept. A strict reading of the law would definitely be that it is the gun not the holster that must be completely concealed. The spirit of the law in FL is definitely to conceal that a gun is present. A fanny pack accomplishes this to the un- knowledgeable but a holster makes it obvious. A strict construction of the statute you would win, but I do not think you would get a strict construction on this one.
I agree that the prevailing ethic in Florida is "limit thyself." In matters of Liberty, Floridians unfortunately seem to be an "ask permission first" society.

If a cop brought charges, the court would have to rely on the letter of the law, correct? Florida has some odd provincialities, but can I trust that they do not permit common-law crimes?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Something like this:

pix2968775921.jpg
pix2968775859.jpg

This is for a Nambu. Are there any other legitimate closed-top holsters?

tracylaud83

imported post

Interesting.

I've carried an empty holster before, and had a few sheeple question me. This would be a very interesting thing indeed.....

smoking357

Banned
imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
Interesting.

I've carried an empty holster before, and had a few sheeple question me.
Lovely observation. If they're questioning you, they don't know. If they don't know, the firearm is concealed.

I like the idea of empty holster carry.

Some great flap holsters here:

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-holsters/repro-german.shtm

I need to see if I have a gun that conforms to the same dimensions as a P38 or an 08 Luger.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Chemical sprays 'n such are carried in beltpouches? Those are legal as 'CCW' permits allow? Ok... so... a completely enclosed holster, altho generally comformal to the 'outline' of a pistol... still effectively conceals (covers) the entire pistol. Spray can pouches conform to the can don't they? My Makarov holster does that 'n so did my gennie German P-38 holster 'til I sold it (and the P-38). Not even the butt sticks out.There are cases in some other states where folks have been arrested for carrying concealed (w/o permit) while wearing these types of (military) holsters. Those tales have been posted on this forum from time to time.

It's entirely possible then... to spring for a holster of this type... leather or canvas... and justwear it around openly (empty) along with your regular concealed rig for your gun and 'test the waters'. I s'pose fanny packs are legal in FL... (but they look.... nevermind I won't say it...) Put a cell phone in it or something. :)

So... if some cop thinks you've got aLuger or a P-38... 'n you've got a Glock or a XD-40 in there... I'd say you effectively concealed what it actually is by masquerading as something else. (I know... that's a stretch butI used to live in FL back when everybody carried somethin' 'n didn't worry much 'bout the legalities... before the Yankees took over. Those NJ 'n NY types ruined it... 'cause they brought NJ & NY with 'em.