• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATTN Admins and Good People of Open Carry: A WARNING

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIP 'Cept for the Southern/rural part. Yankees are just as ignorant and more arrogant.
Plus, their food isn't nearly as good. :):p

Coming from New Jersey, I can categorically state that your statement is false.

I have yet to find a half-decent Italian restaurant in the South, nor can I find a single Southerner capable of making a passable cheesesteak sandwich. And the best fried chicken I ever ate was made by my Polish Pennsylvanian grandmother, who put all southern cooking to shame.

I like Southerners, but yuens don't know how to eat.

3467-1.jpg

If you ever come down to New Orleans, try Andrea's for northern Italian, Ristorane Salvatore for southern Italian, and for Sicilian, there's a little hole-in-the -wall place near West Jefferson Hospital whose name eludes me at the moment.

Then again, some of the same folks settled in New Jersey as in New Orleans back in the day.

suntzu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Blackeye peas and smoked ham-hocks slowwwwww cooked with some onion. And eaten with Beano so I don't make a trip to Dulles a date with the gas chamber for some innocent victim.....

I remember the favorite food of my sweet, now departed mother was slow cooked beans, sauerkraut, homemade cornbread, pickles and maybe a beef wiener fried up and chopped into the kraut...she grew up on beans--literally. They were her lunch, breakfast and dinner--when they did not have chickens to butcher of course, and then at times she said her dad would spend all day fishing and bring home a stinger full--and it would be fried fish all around...my great grandmother used to can a lot...and I remember the blackberry jellies my grandmother used to make after my family would spend all day in the briers watching and listening for snakes hiding among the bushes....

Several years ago I hated beans--now I would give anything to see her standing in the kitchen cooking beans again...

smoking357

Banned
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Oh reallly? My mother used to make the finest chicken and dumplings anywhere...and a plate of chicken and dumplings along with homemade mashed potatoes, green beans and a biscuit will out do your Italian beef any day of the week...:celebrate
Yeah, if I have an ulcer and have to lay off the hot peppers, garlic, oregano and other tasty secrets that go into a beef.

1132.gif

suntzu

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Oh reallly? My mother used to make the finest chicken and dumplings anywhere...and a plate of chicken and dumplings along with homemade mashed potatoes, green beans and a biscuit will out do your Italian beef any day of the week...:celebrate
Yeah, if I have an ulcer and have to lay off the hot peppers, garlic, oregano and other tasty secrets that go into a beef.

1132.gif
you can keep the beef--dumplings all the way for me. :D

my dad was a cook in the army--when he started cooking he would be like "hmmm, lets see what this will do.." Always turned out pretty good actually. He could cook a good fish...

Alexcabbie

imported post

Fried Chicken. You know, I STILL love Kentucky Fried Original, but it is NOT the same as I first had, and I oughtta know because I had a job back in 1975 where I made the stuff. Back then the chicken was cut up different, aall the pieces were fist-sized and there was one all-white meat piece called the "keel". All the pieces being the same size, they all cooked evenly in the pressure ccooker full of oil. NOW you get overcooked wings and a big semi-underdone breast. I have written them but "YUM!" brands is NOT Harlaan Sanders, who IMO would thrash these idiots with that gutta-percha cane of his worse than Brooks gave Sumner.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, KFC built its image on the myth of Southern cooking, a myth which may have once been true, and may still be true in your mom's home kitchen, but like I said, when I stop in a small southern town and look for a decent place to eat, there usually isn't one.

Almost any small town in New Jersey will have at least a hole-in-the-wall Italian joint that will serve you good food on a white tablecloth, and if they don't have the wine you like, they'll send the busboy out to get a bottle before they serve you the main course.

But in many towns in Virginia, it seems you're out of luck. Maybe there's a diner-type place, but most of the ones I've seen are true greasy spoons and have awful food. Hot dogs or sloppy joes or some garbage. I'd rather eat an old MRE, thank you. I usually have to fall back on a chain, which I hate to do. IHOP is a great fallback, but I want to sample the real stuff when visiting a town, and it seems no one makes any.

There are exceptions, of course. Dan's Steakhouse on Rt. 211 near Massanutten Mountain comes to mind, and it's really odd because it's not in a town at all, it's on the side of the mountain away from town.

BTW, I like how we took a troll thread and turned into my favorite subject: food.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My goodness, I had no idea I would trigger this much debate.

While I will concede there is the occasional tasty dish from the North, I still say the South has the best cooking.

I mean, come on. Whoever heard of going to Scranton for barbeque? No, sir. Its called North CarolinaBBQ or Memphis BBQ.

Cheese grits. Seasoned collard greens. Jambalya. Catfish and cornbread. Southern fried steak.

mmmmMMMMmmmMMMMmmmmmmmmmm.

Dammit, now I'm all hungry again.

:D