• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry at gun shows

Hellrazor227

imported post

i saw one of the regular posters wrote this

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009/07/calling-all-ocers-pack-at-gun-shows.html

"OK guys, I think that this is the sort of event that we can all get into and all in a safe manner. All you need to do is when you go to a gun show, just bring your gun with you. The catch is that you CANNOT HAVE AMMUNITION FOR YOUR GUN ON YOUR PERSON! This means that if you have a .44mag (like I do) and you buy .44mag/spl for it, YOU CANNOT CARRY THE AMMO WITH YOU! As long as your gun is unloaded and you do not possess the ammo to feed the gun, you are OK.

While there, pass out pamphlets about OC. It is a good way to get converts :)

CARRY ON!"

I know at least the Orange County gun show is on the Costa Mesa Fairgrounds (state owned property). I am aware that people are allowed to try and sell firearms (with all of the appropriate steps of course). As for open carrying would that be legal at a state owned fairgrounds in the event of a gun show?

I know in the So Cal area the OC gun show and i'm pretty sure the Ontario show are held at either state or local gov't owned properties. As for the Glendale gun show and others around the state i'm not sure.

I just thought it was a reasonable question to post before people walk into that fire (even though there would be many people friendly to the idea in the area).

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I believe there is a restriction from OCing in public buildings, but not necessarily on public land. Can't find the code that covers this topic though.

Decoligny

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
If there is a gun show, you have to be able to bring guns to it, i.e. carry them there.

Just dont have ammo for your gun on your person and you will be fine.

So hand your full magazines of .45 ammo to your buddy, and carry his full magazines of 9mm ammo and you will both be in compliance with the law. :D

CA PC 12071.4. (g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

cato

imported post

Gov. Buildings
171b. (a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or
local public building

(1) Any firearm....
(2) Any deadly weapon described in Section 653k or 12020.
(3) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the
blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded
position by the use of one or two hands.
(4) Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.
(5) Any taser or stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.
(6) Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB
or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or
spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.

(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:

(7) (A) A person who, for the purpose of sale or trade, brings any
weapon that may otherwise be lawfully transferred, into a gun show
conducted pursuant to Sections 12071.1 and 12071.4.

(c) As used in this section, "state or local public building"
means a building that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the
state or local government, if state or local public employees are
regularly present for the purposes of performing their official
duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not
limited to, a building that contains a courtroom.
(2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is
referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this
code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.
(3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be
used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Notice that the exception to 171(b) is for sale or trade, not for self-defense. Packing it on your hip may be a problem. Also, every gun show I've been to always required a zip-tie through the action or some such.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

MudCamper wrote:
Notice that the exception to 171(b) is for sale or trade, not for self-defense. Packing it on your hip may be a problem. Also, every gun show I've been to always required a zip-tie through the action or some such.
Note to self; place tag on holstered firearm at gun show that reads "For sale or trade--any reasonable offer considered."