• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in CPL free zones

Leader

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
The whole 2,500 thing is just ridiculous to me. Think of it, I can't CC in a larger movie theater, but I can CC or OC in a place like the red wings parade with 1,000,000 people or a fireworks display somewhere. Or just any other place that has vast amounts of people. The logic is faulty, I don't understand it.

The "logic" behind gun free zones is faulty, none of it makes any sense.

Now.. your mission, if you accept it, will be to convince the anti's to abolish ALL gun free zones.

hopnpop

imported post

Leader wrote:
Generaldet wrote:
The whole 2,500 thing is just ridiculous to me. Think of it, I can't CC in a larger movie theater, but I can CC or OC in a place like the red wings parade with 1,000,000 people or a fireworks display somewhere. Or just any other place that has vast amounts of people. The logic is faulty, I don't understand it.

The "logic" behind gun free zones is faulty, none of it makes any sense.

Now.. your mission, if you accept it, will be to convince the anti's to abolish ALL gun free zones.
Sounds like the gauntlet's been thrown!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
I don't think the legislators do/did either. I'mfairly certainit was all aboutappeasing the sheeple.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

A posted building capacity is usually mandated by fire/safety codes and you can not have a capacity of 2500+ and meet the code because there is no upper limit. What is the theaters legal total occupancy? and what is the fixed seating capacity are indeed two different issues.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Generaldet wrote:
I don't think the legislators do/did either. I'mfairly certainit was all aboutappeasing the sheeple.
I agree, which just further proves the point that anti's and logic don't mix. If they would ever just stop and think about what they are saying or look at the facts, instead of their personal fears, our jobs would be a lot easier.

I'd just love to hear someone try and explain it to me though, it would be worth a good laugh.

This might be a silly question but just for clarification purposes. Lets say you go to a concert or take any example you wish. The capacity of the room is over 2,500 but there are no actual seats (standing room only). Does the 2,500 seating capacity rule still apply if you want to CC? I haven't found an actual definition for how the law defines the term "seating capacity" Wouldn't that mean it would default to the definition in the dictionary? If so that would be "the number of people that can be seated in a vehicle or auditorium or stadium etc." Or have I just missed something?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Generaldet wrote:
I agree, which just further proves the point that anti's and logic don't mix. If they would ever just stop and think about what they are saying or look at the facts, instead of their personal fears, our jobs would be a lot easier.

I'd just love to hear someone try and explain it to me though, it would be worth a good laugh.

This might be a silly question but just for clarification purposes. Lets say you go to a concert or take any example you wish. The capacity of the room is over 2,500 but there are no actual seats (standing room only). Does the 2,500 seating capacity rule still apply if you want to CC? I haven't found an actual definition for how the law defines the term "seating capacity" Wouldn't that mean it would default to the definition in the dictionary? If so that would be "the number of people that can be seated in a vehicle or auditorium or stadium etc." Or have I just missed something?
In this case when no seating capacity is applicable, I'mguessing a PA would attempt to utilize the building capacity regulations (codes) determined by the fire marshall.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Some prosecutors would argue that ANY entertainment facility which adheres to the posting requirements in the CPL law, whether they have an actual seating capacity of 2500+ or not, would be a no cc zone. The cpl law does not require that the 2500+ sign needs to adhere to any fire code standard or other zoning requirement, just the size of the letters and numbers and that they MUST be placed over EVERY public entrance.

Since most do not do this, I ignore them as they do not meet the requirements. I would also argue that any venue/store/establishment that erects signage prohibiting firearms that does not conform to these rules (size/placement) may not claim that a person who carries firearms was notified in regards to trespass requirements.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by the Concealed Weapon Licensing Board on 07/14/2009, at which time you will not need to appear. If your Concealed Pistol License Application is approved, your permit will be sent to you via U.S. Mail approximately one week after the Board of Review meeting.

I'm so excited! Considering I was told September, this is Macomb county btw, no more gun board for now it seems, they are severely backlogged :D

[/b]

mikestilly

imported post

You're very very lucky I applied the beginning of the year and I'm scheduled to appear for Macomb County in NOVEMBER.

Unreal, so check this out. I checked my status and they moved the date without telling me to 7/24! I'm wondering if they're doing it intentionally to try get a no show. Now I'm happy I don't have to wait but pissed it seems they're trying to pull a fast one on me.

Plus it says "The Licensing Board reviews nine applicants every 15 minutes starting at 9 a.m. You will receive a letter via U.S. Mail approximately two weeks prior to your Board of Review date informing you of the exact time of your review meeting." Wheres my friggin letter??