• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question RE: Businesses that ban firearms

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

If you enter a business while carrying open, and an employee tells you to either cover it up, or to leave it in the car, how do you know if it's just the request of the employee, or if it's really a company policy that no firearms are allowed?

Do you have a right to ask for a copy of the specific company policy?

Can you still legally carry concealed in a business that has a firearms ban?

Magix

imported post

You definitely have the right to ask to see a written policy. Just be polite and ask nicely. If the store really does ban guns on the premises, then they are required to have a sign on the front store window incidcating this policy. If not, then it's most likely the employee being uncomfortable with the gun being in the store. Most likely a good opportunity to educate a little, carry a pamphlet with you.

If there is no store policy, then it also depends on how much hassle you're willing to deal with if they keepinsisting thaton you leaving or putting the gun away.

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

I've found it's often hard to convince store employees that it's my right as a U.S. and Washington citizen to carry my pistol. Their response is usually something along the lines of "Well it's alarming our customers"

Magix

imported post

You then should reply, "I understand your concern and the other customers. Could you please ask your manager to look up the corporate/store policy?"

If you're polite about it, then you're not warranting alarm to the employee or other customers. Just say you'd like to have that information and you will follow whatever their policy states. This also shows you're not being confrontational, only going by the book.

Keep in mind most people are ignorant and closed minded and won't listen to whatever you have to say when you have the gun. So like I said, think about how much hassle you want to deal with before taking the next step.

Kildars

imported post

Unless it was a store manager or someone else with the authority to ask me to leave the property I would keep on wave and keep on walking. When people ask me to cover up I tell them that requires a conceal permit and I don't have one (I do..) and thats asking me to break the law.

Tawnos

imported post

Magix wrote:
You definitely have the right to ask to see a written policy. Just be polite and ask nicely. If the store really does ban guns on the premises, then they are required to have a sign on the front store window incidcating this policy. If not, then it's most likely the employee being uncomfortable with the gun being in the store. Most likely a good opportunity to educate a little, carry a pamphlet with you.

If there is no store policy, then it also depends on how much hassle you're willing to deal with if they keepinsisting thaton you leaving or putting the gun away.
I don't think there's any requirement that they have a sign indicating the policy. They can simply ask you to leave, and say you're not invited back in if you're armed. At that point, reentry would be trespass.

*edit* note, this is from the store manager or other person in power, who is not subordinate to a larger corporate policy.

kparker

imported post

If the store really does ban guns on the premises, then they are required to have a sign on the front store window incidcating this policy.

There is no such law in Washington State. If they ask you to leave, you would be trespassing if you refused to comply, or if you returned after being asked to leave-and-not-return.

deanf

imported post

how do you know if it's just the request of the employee

Doesn't matter. The employee represents the store. It's within their authority. What do you want, a registered letter from the owner, or each and every shareholder?

Do you have a right to ask for a copy of the specific company policy?

You can ask for anything you want.

Can you still legally carry concealed in a business that has a firearms ban?

Well it's not a crime in Washington until it rises to the level of trespassing.

If the store really does ban guns on the premises, then they are required to have a sign on the front store window incidcating this policy.

Not in Washington. In fact, they could choose to ban one person carrying and not another. Or they could leave it up to each individual employee. They could predicate it on their mood, or what color you are wearing. They really have full autonomy, no notice required. It is private property, after all.

I've found it's often hard to convince store employees that it's my right as a U.S. and Washington citizen to carry my pistol.
But it's not when you're on private property. Maybe that's where your trouble lies. They might be smarter than you think.

Unless it was a store manager or someone else with the authority to ask me to leave the property I would keep on wave and keep on walking

You are setting yourself up nicely for a trespassing charge.

*edit* note, this is from the store manager or other person in power, who is not subordinate to a larger corporate policy.

Please explain how a private corporate policy which can be changed and enforced on a mere whim, which they have no obligation to share with anyone, has any bearing on a criminal trespass charge?

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

Again, does anyone know if this applies to privately owned businesses? Or does it apply to retail chains, such as Fred Meyer, Target, Safeway, etc etc?

deanf

imported post

Retail chains are also privately owned businesses. They can make their own rules with full autonomy regarding guns, and can change them whenever they want, as many times as they want.

Batousaii

imported post

U8Dust wrote:
How is that a "troll" question? WTF dude?

Your a known, and identified troll, along with McDonaldsFan - probably the same person.. seen your other posts too. Your exactly the type that identifies themselves as an a-typical anti-gunner out to use subversion and deceit as tools of your trade. Your ability to twist the moral fabric to fit your means to an end is disgusting. Your here simply to give other legitimate posters something to trip up on. Rather than concentrate on your own side, and attempt to validate your claims, you choose to come here and create havoc. This is your M.O. and proves the ethical standing of your ant-gun agenda... If you cannot win through ethical means, then do so by un-ethical means right ??? -- and this is why things are turning to our favor as pro-gun, ethical, honorable, and tolerant community supporting members of this forum.

-- you sir, are a disgrace to human society.

Slither back to whatever anti-gun rock you crawled out from under ...

:cuss:Batousaii

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

You sir, are an idiot. I am as far from being anti-gun as you can get. I own four hand guns and always vote for bills that are pro gun.

You're completely off on that area, partner. I think you need to touch up on your "Troll busting" skills.

And no, Mcdonalds Fan and I are not the same person, but we're from the same forum.

Batousaii

Manu

imported post

My dear Batousaiiand other fellow members if you guys do not like any of posts of any particular memeber just ignore it whats the point of starting this word war? Just ignore any post you do not like. U8Dust I am still up for that opencarry coffee meeting in des moines I'll check with Deros too mostly he is available and hopefully bookman will join us too, I wish Bill and other members live close by so that we can invite them too. But anyways on seatac willow apt meeting you will meet all these well informed members like, Bill, Deros, Jarhead, Bookman, Triger Dr etc etc to name some. you will have good time there.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Manu wrote:
My dear Batousaiiand other fellow members if you guys do not like any of posts of any particular memeber just ignore it whats the point of starting this word war? Just ignore any post you do not like. U8Dust I am still up for that opencarry coffee meeting in des moines I'll check with Deros too mostly he is available and hopefully bookman will join us too, I wish Bill and other members live close by so that we can invite them too. But anyways on seatac willow apt meeting you will meet all these well informed members like, Bill, Deros, Jarhead, Bookman, Triger Dr etc etc to name some. you will have good time there.

Please let us know if he brings his claymore.

Manu

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Manu wrote:

Please let us know if he brings his claymore.
Sure sir I'll, but why dont you come over too and we all will have fun together, cuz from me you will be getting second hand information.