• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro is OC friendly

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

[align=center]Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy – Open Carry Welcome![/b][/align]

OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, it’s better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, “psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, it’s the law” kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro’s policy is and “always was” to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Does anyone have/know of Gander Mountain's policy on OC. I'm fully aware of their signs at the stores pertaining to firearms carried or brought in for service.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

My understanding is that GM follows state laws. I have carried in the Flint and Taylor stores numerous times and have never had a problem. Customers have given my "looks" but we all get that. The gun counter guys asked me about it once as to whether I have any problems or not. All in all nothing but positive at GM.