Thread: Help me help my DC bound friend!

Post imported post

Post imported post

1861 Navy .36 w. Walnut Grips (steel)[/b] 1861 Navy model steel frame single action black powder revolver in .36 calibre with steel backstrap and trigger guard, European walnut grips and 8" round barrel.

Buy this replica cap and ball handgun. Legal to OC in DC.

I would not go to any national parks or federal buildings, though.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

First buy the gun while he is still resident in another state. There is no gun shop in the district and the only FFL doing transfers charges $125 per. So buy all the handguns he wants prior to moving here. If he wants a semiautomatic it cannot have a magazinethat holds more than 10 rounds.

He must then have the following in order to register a handgun. Proof of training including four hours classroom and one hour range; two passport quality photos, and an ID. He will need to call firearms registration when he is coming down and advise them he will be bringing a handgun. Bring the handgun in a locked container without ammo but with the magazine holding 10 rounds or fewer. He will fill out several forms, be fingerprinted, havea ballistics check on the weapon, and pay around $60. If he has more than one weapon he should be able to register all of them at the same timefor $25 for handguns and $13 for long guns (which do not reguire the ballistics check). Again, no semiauto can have a magazine with more than 10 rounds. In addition, there is a so-called assault weapons bans, so if the weopon is a tactical rifle or shotgun he will need to verify in advance that it can be registered.

If there are any questions, you can PM me off line. SGt Hall at the gun control office is also vey helpful

Post imported post

In an apartment in DC a shotgun may be better than a handgun.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thanks ianto94, that's the information I was looking for. This really sucks.

Post imported post

roconnor14 wrote:
    Thanks ianto94, that's the information I was looking for. This really sucks.
    I'd urge your friend to move into Virginia instead of DC. Why anyone, especially someone who has and wants to have firearms, would move to DC is beyond me. If he's moving to DC because he won't have a car, there is a public transportation system that crosses between Virginia and DC and goes throughout DC... metro rail.

Post imported post

Its perhaps a small consolation that he CAN now legally possess a handgun in DC, but I also wonder why he would live there when he could stay in VA across the river and enjoy the benefits of being free. Even Georgetown isn't as "safe" as it used to be.

BY the way, I'd recommend the 1858 Remington replica in .45 cal. About the same size and weight as the Colt, but much more stopping power. Lots more fire and smoke too!
    :celebrate

Post imported post

Another vote for 'Have your friend move to Virginia'.

I've lived inNorthern Virginia and commuted into the District of Corruption for over 30 years.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Post imported post

If your friend still intends to move to DC, better see that he is started on antidepressants NOW !!!

( It takes time for them to kick in and he needs to be fully prepared! )

Post imported post

Is the statement about a cap and ball revolver being legal to OC in DC true? I'm not doubting you, but I would like to know more, legal reasoning, etc. Not that I want to carry there, but I find the situation with antique firearms interesting. A lot of firepower with few legal restrictions, etc.

Heck, they did help win the Civil War, after all.

Post imported post

It is simple. Antique firearms are not covered by DC's gun laws. It is completely legal to carry such weapons openly or concealed, but should you be crazy enough to do so openly, you will without a doubt be arrested at gun point and I am sure they will trump up some charge, sort of like "disrupting a public meeting."

Post imported post

WheelGun wrote:
    Is the statement about a cap and ball revolver being legal to OC in DC true? I'm not doubting you, but I would like to know more, legal reasoning, etc. Not that I want to carry there, but I find the situation with antique firearms interesting. A lot of firepower with few legal restrictions, etc.

Heck, they did help win the Civil War, after all.
    Ianto 94 is correct. DC used the Federal definition of firearms and thus, antiques and replicas thereof are not firearems.

Be careful though, D.C. has other laws about carrying rifles and shotguns, so do your research before bringing out the Hawkins rifle!