• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ky ccw

stormchaser

imported post

can anyone here tell me how many years

ksp goes back (checking)before they issue or turn

you down for your lic. i'm 60 yrs old,i have lived in ky

all my life with the exception of ,time in army,

and 2 yrs in florida.no criminal record,i also

understand that they check medical records

and i am disabled,would being disabled

cause me to be turned down?

thanks

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

I got a feeling they go as far back as records are kept. A physical disability is probably not a disqualification based on American Disibilities Act. I would say teh only medical DQ would be mental issues.

Again that is all assumption

8th ID

imported post

I'm not really convinced the KSP check medical records. That somehow doesn't seem legal. The disqualification for mental illness as I understand it would be for an adjudicated charge for mental illness-a charge that stems from being in the judicial system. And how would they check medical records? Do they take your doctor's address and phone number? WhenI sent my application in, I was never asked any medical questions or who my physician was.

stormchaser

imported post

gutshot wrote:
stormchaser wrote:
can anyone here tell me how many years

ksp goes back (checking)before they issue or turn

you down for your lic. i'm 60 yrs old,i have lived in ky

all my life with the exception of ,time in army,

and 2 yrs in florida.no criminal record,i also

understand that they check medical records

and i am disabled,would being disabled

cause me to be turned down?

thanks
A physical disability is not grounds for rejection of an application for CCDW in KY.
People who are legally blind have even been approved. This is KY everybody gets a gun. The KSP have no ability or authority to access your private medical records. That would take a court order.
i have bought 3 guns in the last 2 month's,and then took them back,trying to
find one that i liked, at no time did the background check take anymore then a couple of min. and was never denied, is there a differance between the buying
process and the ccdw process?or is the whole process of buying and qualifing
for ccdw wrapedup in one package,just a differant dept.?

BigBubba

imported post

different checks, the one they do when u buy a gun is an instant check, the one they do for ccdw is a full nationalcriminal background check i believe

Statesman

imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
good thing to note, I havent verified this, but at my CC class, the instructor said that from now on when you buy a handgun, you can present your CCDW and that stands in lieu of teh instant background check....
I did this when I bought my Kimber last year, and the process is much quicker. They do note the CCDW license number on the form, of course.

TheMrMitch

imported post

No problem. I'm 67 years old.

Your CC license will work in place of a background check if issued after a certain date.

My CC license was issued before this law and I must submit to checks when buying gunsuntil my next renewal in a couple of years. No problem.:dude:

nick1207

imported post

me and my wife took ours the same day.. she got hers back a week and a half before i did