• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reactions when open carrying?

Bader

imported post

I'm curious to hear if any of you have had any major reactions from citizens while open carrying in public. For me, I don't get many reactions, because I live out past Greenwater, which is a pretty isolated town, and everyone pretty much knows each other out here. Whenever I venture to Enumclaw, I normally CC.

Do you ever get any smart comments made to you by passer bys or "thug" like people?

I would think OCing in an urban or suburban area would be much different than it is out here in the boonies.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

In general, OCers seem to get negative reactions more frequently in urban/suburban areas than in small towns and rural areas. These accounts are a major topic on this board, so I would suggest you just scroll through previous threads and you'll find the answer to your question.

Welcome!

Charles

Hammer

imported post

Just once, in a rural area. I was BP hunting, and went into town (Concrete) to get some grub. As I was entering the grocery store, an old granny lady said with obvious alarm in her voice "he's got a gun!" at my Ruger Old Army BP revolver on my hip. Store clerk carrying her groceries pretty much blew her off.
Now and then some stink-eye or a stare, but that's about it.

sirpuma

imported post

You know, it's odd, maybe it's just me, but I have yet to have a real bad encounter in the past couple years that I've been OCing. I've had a couple restaurant managers question me but when I explained the law to them they were cool with it. I have OCed from Vancouver, WA to Bellingham, WA and from Astoria, OR to Coeur d'Alene.

I've been in several Costco's around the state and only the one in Tacoma near the Tacoma mall did the greeter say something about management not liking OC. He actually said they would prefer that I didn't bring it in to which I added or cover it up. They can't stop what they can't see. What's funny is that the other greeter there didn't notice it. LOL

Generally I find that people either don't notice or are apathetic. Most of my encounters are people asking if it really is legal to OC and usually the first question is "are you a Cop". When I hapily explain the law and reason for OC they are usually quite reasonable and accepting of it.

I have yet to have an encounter with a LEO though at one time I had LEO in front of my house on a call for the house across the street and they didn't react to my OC as I watched. This was in W. Seattle too which is generally a liberal area. My neighbors I found out later were gun collectors and generally cool about guns.

I've done my banking (Kitsap Credit Union) and shopping (several Costco and Fred Meyer locations) and haven't been prevented from bringing it in or asked to leave. I've been in many restaruants, including family friendly pubs like Elliot Bay Brewery (kick arse burgers BTW) and the Rogue Brewery in Astoria.

The best encounter I've had was the other day at Fred Meyer when an older gent complimented me on my side arm and proceeded to tell us (I was with my wife) that he's an NRA member and totally supports OC and was very happy to see me carrying. :celebrate

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Most my encounters are positive, and a lot of people ask me questions about it, and are curious about it. Negative encounters have been few and far between and usually nothing but a snide remark, or a dirty look.

As far as thugs, they leave armed people alone. They want sheep and easy targets, with gang mentality and "street" mentality they actually probably respect you more for carrying a gun. Just don't "disrespect them". I grew up in bad neighborhoods and have learned I can usually go about my business with a nod of the head, acknowledge and show respect but carry on about your own business.

Mech

imported post

I've actually asked an OCer here in Vancouver, WA about his gun, what holster he was using, and how did it shoot.
I'm not OCing (yet)...being a cheap college student, saving up $$ for my first pistol.
Even though I don't yet carry, I've found all OCers around my area to look friendly and courteous: another reason that made me decide to OC when I do get my gun.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mech wrote:
I've actually asked an OCer here in Vancouver, WA about his gun, what holster he was using, and how did it shoot.
I'm not OCing (yet)...being a cheap college student, saving up $$ for my first pistol.
Even though I don't yet carry, I've found all OCers around my area to look friendly and courteous: another reason that made me decide to OC when I do get my gun.

Welcome aboard Mech.

I agree with your sentiments, we all are different people from a wide spectrum of political beliefs, personalities, moral and religious beliefs and ethnic back grounds, but all I have met have been freindly and good people.

I think it goes with the mentality, open carriers care about themselves and others around them, one reason why we carry.

Manu

imported post

Mech wrote:
Welcome to forum Mech, I totally agree with SVG we here are very diverse selection of human beings but all have same goal and are very nice, Just few of us here and there get crazy and start swimming with guns in lake washington and try to learn how to defend ourself from zombies etc etc..... talking about that,Does anybodyhave any information about that polskiG guy? I hope he didnt drowned while practicing in lake ortaken over by Zombies.... :D

sudden valley gunner

imported post

LOL...yea we haven't heard from the zombii killer for awhile, hope he didn't get bitten.

A lot of positive encounters this last weekend at the OC picnic. People are more open to it than many think, they have just been uneducated on the legality. Thats were we come in. Showing it is perfectly legal.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Bader,
I've been spending some time here lately out near Greenwater, Buckley and Enumclaw and no one seemed to care that I was OC'ing.